Starting job in Thailand & already having Type O visa

Hello,

I arrived and have been living in Thailand on Type O dependent visa (granted based on my wife Type B visa) and have just secured an employment in a private company.

I'm reading contradictory statements about whether or not it's needed to convert Type O visa to Type B to work here OR securing a work-permit on Type O visa? 

My questions:

1. Can I get a work permit on Type O visa and continue working on this? From a post dated 2013 I found that "WP can be issued on Type O as well based on current Non Immigrant 'O' 90 day entry stamp".
    • If can get WP on Type O visa, legally should I wait till I have got WP in hand OR it's fine If I start working from now whilst the WP being prepared?  
    • If not and I should obtain a Type B visa, is it possible to get O converted to Type B without physically leaving the country? (Note that I belong to a country where one should apply in person at home country and can't just travel to Laos / Cambodia and apply for Type B visa from there).

I'm speaking to my prospective employer soon to clear these questions as well but they want me to start working immediately. TIA for all the help on this post.

Regards

The labour office should issue a WP with an entry from a non-immigrant 'O' visa as long as you provide evidence that you're married (marriage certificate).

Often employers/agents/lawyers don't know the rules so if you are told otherwise, they're wrong.

5 hours ago, SWAQARH said:

I arrived and have been living in Thailand on Type O dependent visa (granted based on my wife Type B visa) and have just secured an employment in a private company.

UJ etc. are you sure that it is possible to work on a non-O dependency visa, my understanding from the OP is that he is here based on his wife's non-B visa, so by definition she is not Thai and is working here, your original answers give the impression that you assume he is married to a Thai, or is it possible to work here on the non-O because you are married to a foreigner who is on a non-B?

Edited by Mattd

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

UJ etc. are you sure that it is possible to work on a non-O dependency visa, my understanding from the OP is that he is here based on his wife's non-B visa, so by definition she is not Thai and is working here, your original answers give the impression that you assume he is married to a Thai, or is it possible to work here on the non-O becuase you are married to a foreigner who is on a non-B?

I might of misread or misunderstood the OP earlier.

He could still possibly get the the work permit and apply for a extension of stay based upon working.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He could still possibly get the the work permit and apply for a extension of stay based upon working.

No worries, was just interested to know / understand if it is possible to work on a non-O based on dependency, as if you were to get a work permit and work, well, you would no longer be dependent :smile: 

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I should have been more clear in my post. Yes, she is non-Thai thus has a non-B. 

I would reconfirm now if I can still secure a WP on Type O ? Based on what I read over internet, isn't WP on Type O limited working for "a government agency, state enterprise, or other government agency."

Is there any difference working on B or O visa with WP in terms of visa extension? I read this as well that with O type visa you need to enter / exit every 90 days so that's one disadvantage over B which can grants you 1 year extension. Not sure again if this info is correct ..  

7 hours ago, Mattd said:

No worries, was just interested to know / understand if it is possible to work on a non-O based on dependency, as if you were to get a work permit and work, well, you would no longer be dependent :smile: 

Interesting point :) Let's hear from ubonjoe.

5 hours ago, SWAQARH said:

I would reconfirm now if I can still secure a WP on Type O ? Based on what I read over internet, isn't WP on Type O limited working for "a government agency, state enterprise, or other government agency."

The only requirement to get a work permit is that you have a non immigrant visa entry.

The O in non-o means other. They can be issued for several reasons such a volunteer work, retirement, family visits and etc. 

Working for government agency and etc would normally would be a non-b visa. Some also fall under the non-f category of nonimmigrant visas.

Whether you can get a work permit will depend upon the local work permit office's policy.

• 1 month later...