Recommend honest gemshop

EricTh

Can anybody recommend an honest bargirl in Chiang Mai?   Yeah, sounds silly.  I knew Shiraz and he would sometimes give me advice. One time I arrived with a handfull of cut stones 'from Burma'. He had a good look at each one and said "how much did you pay?" I puffed out my chest and said 400 baht each. He said "well done, they are worth at least 600 baht each !  I had miscalculated my expected profit. He then told me how they were made in France in long rods and then cut, machine faceted, sent to SE Asia to be sold to tourists. He told me I could definitely make a 200 Baht profit selling in CM.. Decide on the stone you want and do some research. Ruby is actually one of the easier to authentic. Buy a 10 power magnifier and look inside the stone for the 'silk' You will see the silk like 'fibres , if it is a ruby. Now, another story....I took some rough rubies once to Shiraz and he had a good look at them "congratulations, genuine ruby."  Then he says " unfortunately, they are not attractive."  How much did you pay ?  .......... he said "too much."    ...Ken

B Tree Gems and Jewellery in Ban Tawai. American and Thai wife owners. Very nice selection of gemstones and custom jewellery. Chap is a rockhound and has an amazing selection of fossils, unusual stone, carved jade, etc etc. Mam is very knowledgeable, Chap is often away in US doing the gem show circuit. Nice people.

Edited by sticklee

Just now, sticklee said:

B Tree Gems and Jewellery in Ban Tawai. American and Thai wife owners. Very nice selection of gemstones and custom jewellery. Chap is a rockhound and has an amazing selection of fossils, unusual stone, carved jade, etc etc. Mam is very knowledgeable, Chap is often away in US doing the gem show circuit. Nice people.

I've never hear of  Ban Tawai.

Where is this place in google map?

Edited by EricTh

On 5/23/2017 at 10:39 AM, sticklee said:

Is it possible for you to post their phone number but I can't seem to contact them at this number 66 5302 3938 

http://www.btreegems.com/

I went to the two gem shops in Loi Kroh road and Tapae road and they don't have the gem that I wanted. 

He asked me to go to Bangkok for untreated and unheated sapphire. Does anyone know of a good gem shop in Bangkok that sells natural sapphire?

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

I found a gem shop that has a large variety of good quality precious stones.

Has anyone bought anything from there before?

They have a branch in Samkhamphaeng.

http://www.gems-gallery.com/

This is the one that all the tour operators, package tour buses, and tuk-tuk drivers take their clients to. I've seen half a dozen tour buses in their parking lot at a time.  You can be pretty sure of their pricing schedule.