First trip to snooky...

Chivas

If you are paying daily the price is much the same everywhere. Monthly stays are about 1/4 to 1/3 the price (even less for 2-3 month lease) but pay electricity, which if using a/c for 8 hours ends up the same coz power relatively very expensive. If staying around 2 weeks start negotiating for 1 month and whittle down the price and term together to meet a common agreement.

Ask first what nationality the owner is, if its not Khmer you are being ripped off so try next door.

The Beach Club is a good place to stay. I don't often go to Snooky anymore but that was my favorite place to stay. I seriously considered retiring in Snooky. I decided not to because of the weak infrastructure and more importantly, the pathetic lack of medical care. 

The Beach Club is owned and operated by decent expats. The prices there are not that cheap but considering the quality, it is very fairly priced.

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2017 at 8:14 AM, Gary A said:

The Beach Club is a good place to stay. I don't often go to Snooky anymore but that was my favorite place to stay. I seriously considered retiring in Snooky. I decided not to because of the weak infrastructure and more importantly, the pathetic lack of medical care. 

The Beach Club is owned and operated by decent expats. The prices there are not that cheap but considering the quality, it is very fairly priced.

Gary when you say pathetic level of health care how pathetic are we talking ( yes have heard of many airlifted to Bangkok etc etc) but what about care other than stroke heart attack related etc etc ??

Is there a "hospital" of any sort or decent clinic at least ??

Dentist, possibly.

Anything else, NO.

There is a government hospital but you seriously do not want to use it.

Even in Phnom Penh it is bad and most Khmers go to Thailand or Viet Nam for anything serious if they can, and I don't just mean the wealthy.

On 8/23/2017 at 7:01 PM, Sheryl said:

Dentist, possibly.

Anything else, NO.

There is a government hospital but you seriously do not want to use it.

Even in Phnom Penh it is bad and most Khmers go to Thailand or Viet Nam for anything serious if they can, and I don't just mean the wealthy.

So assuming you are staying in half decent hotel and you have a stroke or heart attack who does the receptionist call ??

21 hours ago, Chivas said:

So assuming you are staying in half decent hotel and you have a stroke or heart attack who does the receptionist call ??

Likely the police. Who, if you are alive when they arrive, will take you to the government hospital.

On August 20, 2017 at 2:09 AM, Chivas said:

Gary when you say pathetic level of health care how pathetic are we talking ( yes have heard of many airlifted to Bangkok etc etc) but what about care other than stroke heart attack related etc etc ??

Is there a "hospital" of any sort or decent clinic at least ??

Snooty is a trash can. Very small seedy beach strip serving the same $3 BBQ. Rest of the city is not worth visiting.

its worth visiting just so you know you don't want to retire there and the hype is bs.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Likely the police. Who, if you are alive when they arrive, will take you to the government hospital.

It begs the question how anyone would dare take the chance of visiting (or retiring) if they knew it advance there is simply no health facilties at all

21 hours ago, Chivas said:

It begs the question how anyone would dare take the chance of visiting (or retiring) if they knew it advance there is simply no health facilties at all

Easy answer to that one is no money

another answer are low life's who have criminal records and want to live under radar, kiddie fiddlers, drug users (usually people who don't have much money) I could go on...

did the tour of end of the road scene in snooty and it's not somewhere most people would want to wash up in their golden years (unless you were coming from a slum somewhere in India or Africa where things are really bad).

even met a few living in shacks paying $125 a month saying how great the place is as they drink 50 cent beers. You deny as much as you need to in order to survive Your situation I suppose.

went into a to a bar run by an older British expat. He acted like he'd won the lottery when I ordered a $1 beer. Got to thinking what this guy would do if I knew him better or gave out any personal info. No thanks. Not my cup of tea.

^^

Not quite sure what that has to do with having no health facilities. Some of the hotels look very half decent I simply cannot believe that if someone rings reception with serious immediate health issue the only option is to ring the police and they might turn up.

Am going to email some hotels and get their response. Will copy and paste responses here

On August 28, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Chivas said:

^^

Not quite sure what that has to do with having no health facilities. Some of the hotels look very half decent I simply cannot believe that if someone rings reception with serious immediate health issue the only option is to ring the police and they might turn up.

Am going to email some hotels and get their response. Will copy and paste responses here

A more likely situation then the police would be having to pay someone to take you to the local clinic.

The money would go direct into the pocket of the drivers or be split between whatever ranking manager was present and a tuk tuk.

you may get lucky and get the ride but payment would be expected likely after you were stabilized but before they left.

its also likely the police may suggest payment for taking you, either before or after depending on your state. I don't think they would insist, depends on the situation.

an ambulance is probably not an option due to the time it would take. Tuk tuk would be your ambulance.

your really kind of on your own in Cambodia, esp traveling solo. Like I said its a last resort. Travel through, enjoy it, but think twice about settling long term unless you have been there at least six months and know the scene.

Archived