Two men publicly caned in Indonesia for having gay sex

webfact

6 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Banda Aceh will be History soon. They are right on the fault line and the next big shift will take out that area.

After the tsunami, Australia gave $1 billion in aid, most of it to Aceh. In humanitarian terms it was the right thing to do...but in respect of hearts and minds or even goodwill, probably not.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got no problem with someones sexual orientation after living in Thailand

That's their business just don't bother me.

Canning is barbaric and if you being canned you don't want to back there ever again. These people and countries need to get in the modern world...totally backwards thinking..

Indonesian society consists of such a screwed up bunch of a misfits and scumbags.

The religious police broke into this guys room and arrested them after neighbors alerted them .......   <deleted>   !!    they were in there own home for gods sake ......

Absolute twisted dirtbags .......  It's got me beat why anyone would go there for a holiday.

21 hours ago, Usernames said:

Their country, their rules. Don't go there if you don't like it.  And don't invite them in as residents of your country if you don't want to import their values.

4 hours ago, Trentham said:

The undertones to your comment, and this applies to those who clicked like to it, show you to be quite heartless. Perhaps you wish you could have been one of the observers.

To be fair, Usernames makes a good point in the first two sentences of his post.

I'd always intended to visit Indonesia, but now realise it is a country to be avoided :sad:.

And no, I'm not gay.

As I just mentioned .....  These two guys were in their own room when the police came and busted the door in to arrest them after the neighbors alerted the religious police ...

What a country full of backward misfits and scumbags .... 

4 hours ago, Trentham said:

The undertones to your comment, and this applies to those who clicked like to it, show you to be quite heartless. Perhaps you wish you could have been one of the observers.

How many people need to die in the bloodbath that would happen should you try and and go in and change Aceh to fit your personal feelings?  Of course it will not be you who goes in but someone you regard as a poor schlub who needs to pull the duty.

The article failed to mention .....

.....  These two guys were in their own room when the police came and busted the door in to arrest them after the neighbors alerted the religious police ...

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Indonesian society consists of such a screwed up bunch of a misfits and scumbags.

The religious police broke into this guys room and arrested them after neighbors alerted them .......   <deleted>   !!    they were in there own home for gods sake ......

Absolute twisted dirtbags .......  It's got me beat why anyone would go there for a holiday.

Interesting that you draw the line on bizarre, maniacal government action over this event.

Equally bizarre, troubling things taking place in THIS country, yet you seem to support the Junta  without question or caveat.

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Interesting that you draw the line on bizarre, maniacal government action over this event.

Equally bizarre, troubling things taking place in THIS country, yet you seem to support the Junta  without question or caveat.

never heard Thailand called bizarre before  .... amazing maybe  !  .. 

and you don't get canned in public here ...  not yet anyway :shock1:

On 5/23/2017 at 2:23 PM, webfact said:

Up to 1,000 people, many filming with smartphones, watched as the two men received 82 lashes each. Many others watched the punishment being meted out on a livestream video.

Just imagine they are smart and intelligent enough to have smartphones

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

never heard Thailand called bizarre before  .... amazing maybe  !  .. 

and you don't get canned in public here ...  not yet anyway :shock1:

bizarre things Steven not the country although you could say the two are related. I think he caught you at a bad time before your first coffee maybe. Methinks you will have more to say on the subject.

I saw an interview with one of the perverted pious Muslim ladies that had watched and cheered this Islamist BARBARISM. Her comment was telling. She said this is a positive thing, we need to do this to stop everyone in the world going for same gender attraction. Classic homophobia that. It's almost funny if it wasn't so tragic -- as if homosexuality is so incredibly tempting and attractive that everyone would do it unless society literally cracks the whip against it. 

Edited by Jingthing

.....  These two guys were in their own room when the police came and busted the door in to arrest them after the neighbors alerted the religious police ...

On 23/05/2017 at 7:29 PM, Jingthing said:

The people watching the show (assuming they probably think that makes them good Muslims) are COMPLICIT. 

yes ....   stupid idiots.

On 5/23/2017 at 4:56 PM, oilinki said:

Could 100 million Indonesians migrate to some other countries in case they don't like the policies what the other 200 million push to them?

They shouldn't even think of migrating (running away). They should stay and fight for what they believe in. It is not the rest of the world's problem.

On 5/23/2017 at 4:40 PM, Usernames said:

Well, it's up to the people of Indonesia and/or that province to change things, if they so wish.  Making the rules other societies' live under is not the responsibility of Bwana.

Wow!

You are one sad person!

Everything is so easy, from behind a computer- keyboard, isn't it?!

I bet, you didn't even once joined any protest against anything in your country of birth, because you were too lazy or too scared!

Yet you instruct others on civil-disobedience!

I would go even further and guess, that you are angrily shaking your fist at people who are demonstrating against stuff you like, don't you?!

1 minute ago, DM07 said:
On 5/23/2017 at 4:40 PM, Usernames said:

Well, it's up to the people of Indonesia and/or that province to change things, if they so wish.  Making the rules other societies' live under is not the responsibility of Bwana.

Wow!

You are one sad person!

Everything is so easy, from behind a computer- keyboard, isn't it?!

calm down, he only stated a fact. it wasn't the dark ages when people in Europe went to prison because they had gay sex. UK abolished relevant laws in 1967, the death penalty was removed in 1861

Germany stopped punishing gay sex in the early 1970s. repeated offenders were sentenced up to 10 years imprisonment.

I have an anthropological theory on this (you may not be surprised) that is apparently unique - at least I've never heard it elsewhere. Thus:

The apparent paradox that homosexuality is selected for so widely can be explained as an evolutionary process like any other, only nobody understands why. The explanation is that homosexuals are basically freed from the drudgery of procreation to develop society in other ways - intellectual/artistic pursuits, and also in vital service activities such as grooming (and interior decorating, to jest just a little). It's no coincidence that most (yes, most) of the greatest artists and intellectuals through history, right back to Socrates, have been gay. The effect of the biological liberation of this group has literally been, on a macro level over the ages, to develop the human mind and effectively boost human evolution. In that sense I would claim that homosexuality has actually been essential to the development of the human species.

So. Far from being vilified, homosexuals should be honoured for their special gifts, right? Why is the whole notion of homosexuality still taboo and repressed to the point of illegality in some countries? The answer relates to the country's stage of social development. Societies that are still struggling to establish themselves hold mere procreation to be of primary importance. Everyone knows that homosexuality still exists and recognises the contribution they make, but removing the taboo from homosexuality would encourage effeteness and decadence before their society is ready for it - they consider that they still have building and fighting to do. Socio-economically advanced countries have already made it - the macho struggle for survival and for establishing a secure and affluent society is now over and they can now relax and open up. Hence we see different attitudes among different societies.

This concludes the analysis. Put my Nobel in the post. I thang yew.

Edited by ddavidovsky

32 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

I have an anthropological theory on this (you may not be surprised) that is apparently unique - at least I've never heard it elsewhere. Thus:

The apparent paradox that homosexuality is selected for so widely can be explained as an evolutionary process like any other, only nobody understands why. The explanation is that homosexuals are basically freed from the drudgery of procreation to develop society in other ways - intellectual/artistic pursuits, and also in vital service activities such as grooming (and interior decorating, to jest just a little). It's no coincidence that most (yes, most) of the greatest artists and intellectuals through history, right back to Socrates, have been gay. The effect of the biological liberation of this group has literally been, on a macro level over the ages, to develop the human mind and effectively boost human evolution. In that sense I would claim that homosexuality has actually been essential to the development of the human species.

So. Far from being vilified, homosexuals should be honoured for their special gifts, right? Why is the whole notion of homosexuality still taboo and repressed to the point of illegality in some countries? The answer relates to the country's stage of social development. Societies that are still struggling to establish themselves hold mere procreation to be of primary importance. Everyone knows that homosexuality still exists and recognises the contribution they make, but removing the taboo from homosexuality would encourage effeteness and decadence before their society is ready for it - they consider that they still have building and fighting to do. Socio-economically advanced countries have already made it - the macho struggle for survival and for establishing a secure and affluent society is now over and they can now relax and open up. Hence we see different attitudes among different societies.

This concludes the analysis. Put my Nobel in the post. I thang yew.

Well I am sorry to destroy your chance of a Nobel prize but when I was a kid there was an artificial insemination station for dairy farmers who wanted the best bull semen for their milking cows. The best bull available and much in demand by the farmers was a gay bull. For the collection of his semen he would only mount another bull. Now the interesting thing is that this bull had no artistic talent. He was unable to write a Socratic dissertation for the intellectual advancement of his kind and he was not  freed from the drudgery of procreation. However he was a delight for all the macho farmers who were highly amused by it all and got beautiful calves as well. He was also free from all kinds of sexism and his society's taboos.

Homosexuality is just as prevalent in the natural world as it is in the homo sapiens' world.  

25 minutes ago, Trentham said:

Well I am sorry to destroy your chance of a Nobel prize but when I was a kid there was an artificial insemination station for dairy farmers who wanted the best bull semen for their milking cows. The best bull available and much in demand by the farmers was a gay bull. For the collection of his semen he would only mount another bull. Now the interesting thing is that this bull had no artistic talent. He was unable to write a Socratic dissertation for the intellectual advancement of his kind and he was not  freed from the drudgery of procreation. However he was a delight for all the macho farmers who were highly amused by it all and got beautiful calves as well. He was also free from all kinds of sexism and his society's taboos.

Homosexuality is just as prevalent in the natural world as it is in the homo sapiens' world.  

No problemo. My theory implies that animal species too will benefit from homosexuality, though clearly not quite so dramatically as in humans. You translated my examples into the animal world literally, when all that it really imlies is adaptive behaviour - ie, behaving in original ways that can lead to evolutionary advantage. A species that  has members who are biologically 'liberated' from the drudgery of survival and procreation, is freer to 'think', ie. develop and exercise intelligence (even rudimentary), which will translate into greater aptitude for adaptive behaviour. Who can say, but that gay bull may have had particular aptitudes advantageous for the species - for example in finding water or migrating or whatever else they get up to. In any case, it's a slow process and cattle have presumably been held back in the grand game by other factors, such as not having hands.

The theory is, I am convinced, unassailable - and you didn't offer a better one.

Next.