All Districts And Subdistricts In Chiang Mai Have Been Declared As Disaster-hit Areas Due To Cold Weather

Jai Dee

All districts and subdistricts in Chiang Mai have been declared as disaster-hit areas due to cold weather

Officials in Chiang Mai province are urgently aiding the locals who have been affected by winter hazards. All 22 districts and two subdistricts of Chiang Mai have been declared as disaster-hit areas since December 15th.

Mr. Prajon Pajsakul, the head of Chiang Mai Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office, said temperatures have plummeted deeply in highlands and mountainous areas of the province. According to the recent report, 413,140 people in 736 villages of the province are in need of 218,455 winter blankets and 110,416 winter clothing.

Chiang Mai Provincial Civilian Protection Administration has set up a center to help the victims of winter hazards at Chiang Mai Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office. 23,574 blankets and 3,114 winter clothes have been distributed to the affected people so far.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Finance is considering the proposal to approve a budget of 50 million baht, which will be used to purchase more winter apparels to meet the demands of the people. The approval should be within this week.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 December 2006

how can it be a disaster zone if nobody died or even got sick (at least nothing about it in this article) and, so far, no demage was done to the environment?

My assumption is that a disaster declaration has something to do with money, either applying for aid or qualifying for aid.

how can it be a disaster zone if nobody died or even got sick (at least nothing about it in this article) and, so far, no demage was done to the environment?

My assumption is that a disaster declaration has something to do with money, either applying for aid or qualifying for aid.

Yeah, it seems clear that MHS and CM have made themselves disaster areas to qualify for emergency clothing.

Hoarfrost crystals spotted at mountain tops in Chiang Mai

Hoarfrost crystals were seen at Doi Angkhang (ดอยอ่างขาง) and Doi Phahompok (ดอยผ้าห่มปก) mountain tops in Chiang Mai Provinces as temperatures have been dropping continuously.

Sources said that agricultural plots of the Royal Agricultural Station Angkhang, including strawberry, cold weather flower, and fruit plots, have frozen. Tourists visiting the station were fascinated by the phenomenon.

Yesterday (December, 26), the lowest temperature measured at Doi Angkhang Mountain top wat at 2 degrees Celsius and is expected to decrease today. Aside from the hoarfrost crystals, cherry trees are in full bloom during this period.

Meanwhile, Chief of the Doi Phahompok (ดอยผ้าห่มปก) National Park, Chongklai Woraphongsathon (จงคล้าย วรพงศธร) has warned tourists in Doi Phahompok of the cold weather that may reach below zero degree Celsius. He suggests that they bring enough winter clothes and make sure that they are in good health before visiting Doi Angkhang.

As cold air mass covering the upper part of the country may lead to poor vision, drivers are warned to be extra careful when driving under heavy fog. The general public should take care of themselves as the weather is changing rapidly. Farmers in the region were advised to prepare for the worst caused by hoarfrost to their produce.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 December 2006

According to the recent report, 413,140 people in 736 villages of the province are in need of 218,455 winter blankets and 110,416 winter clothing.

those are incredibly exact predictions , how can they know that they need 218,455 blankets exactly ?

It's just another case of TIT

i.e. they do not know how many people are killed on the roads (each day/week/month/or year)

They don't have accurate figures for suicide in the realm.

They can't tell you much money was siphoned off during the construction (unfinished construction) of Suvarnabhumi airport etc., etc.

And yet they come up with a figure of 218,455 :D

They are magicians "rabbits come out of hats and so do their figures" :o

Every year, North of Chiengmai, there is one month....between Dec. 15 and Jan. 15 when it gets cold. I have huddled around many a Thai campfire in the back yard trying to keep warm both in the evening and the mornings. The 'Musers' have that nice inside warm fire in the wood framed sand box to keep warm and cheery around. ...and that efficient woamn who keeps getting up and applying that piece of Mai Pradoo to smoulder, to keep the edge off, 'till dawn. I never received a satisfactory answer of why Thais remain cold in their houses while the 'Musers' are quite content when it gets cold. The primary Thai response of "not our custom" is the usual refrain.

When I am in my teak house with my wood stove going, the realatives camp out in my front room until it gets late.....however, this isn't too different than sitting around their own back yard campfires...just cleaner. Many years ago when I had a bamboo house and a 'Muser style' camp fire, indoors, my Thai relatives all commented on how pleasant and cheery the winter nights were.

However, they would never put their own heat inside their own homes.

I am wondering if some enterprising Fallang/Thai entrepeneurs can travel the villages in the North and sell cheap Chinese electric heaters ? But, being somewhat familiar with rural Northern Thais........I figure the chances are 50/50. Maybe if you showed up between 6:00 and 10:00 PM , you might stand a chance to make a sale.

...Ken

Having seen this blanket request each year now for many years, I would suspect that there is some money to be made somewhere in the plot....... maybe its from making blanket soup in the next couple months, otherwise there would be millions of blankets left over from all the past years...

However, I now would like to offer a new gambit for the creators of this type of thing..... How about in the warmer months of the year declare a disaster area when the temp gets above , say 32 degrees cel. And ask for requests for thousands and thousands of Air Cons to be donated...... Same thought but ought to bring in a lot more money as it does cost more for a A/C unit than a blanket....

Note..... I do expect a royalty fee for coming up with the idea....

gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

According to the recent report, 413,140 people in 736 villages of the province are in need of 218,455 winter blankets and 110,416 winter clothing.

those are incredibly exact predictions , how can they know that they need 218,455 blankets exactly ?

Yes ... Agreed.

Today's weather report suggests Low 13c High 29c.

This is all about corruption !

Get some aid, and then rake in some 'Baksheesh' !

What a sad, lazy, greedy bunch. :o totally lacking in self respect.

Oh! and make that 218,456 winter blankets, cos my hotel say they cannot give me one more,

(you falang, no need) :D :D :D

Naka.

Exposure to cold weather kills Chiang Mai worker

CHIANG MAI, Dec 28 (TNA) - A construction worker died Wednesday night in Thailand's northern province of Chiang Mai after he drank alcohol and went to sleep without wearing warm clothes or using a blanket.

The authorities indicated an autopsy will be performed to officially confirm the cause of his death.

Kongkaew Rampan is the second victim of this month's cold snap after the death of another worker two weeks ago.

The first victim was a security guard who died December 15 while on duty outside a building. Shinawatra Srihome, 47, was found dead at his post at a computer store in the provincial seat.

Police attributed his death to night-long winds combined with ultra low temperatures, triggering an attack of asthma, his long-term illness. The provincial office of disaster prevention and mitigation in Chiang Mai said that the lowered, and falling, temperature prompted the province to declare 200 districts as disaster zones affected by the cold weather.

The average temperature in the province was recorded below 10 degrees Celsius.

More than 400,000 residents in 736 villages were affected by the cold wave.

The meteorological department said on Wednesday that a cold front from China extended to upper Thailand and the temperature is expected to drop further.

Source: TNA - 28 December 2006

Temperature at mountaintops in North remain at 3-6 degrees

The coldest temperatures on mountaintops in northern provinces remain at about 3 to 6 Celsius degrees Wednesday, the Meteorological Department said.

The department said the coldest temperatures on tops of mountains in northeastern provinces range from 8 to 12 degrees.

The lowest temperature in Bangkok is about 22 degrees.

Source: The Nation - 3 January 2007

Mae Hong Son distributes blankets to local residents in remote areas

Mae Hong Son Governor Direk Konkleeb (ดิเรก ก้อนกลีบ) has visited remote areas of the Huoy Ha (ห้วยห้า) and Huoy Hamai (ห้วยห้าใหม่) villages to distribute blankets to the villagers. According to the Huoy Ha District Chief Charoen Boonmingkwan (เจริญ บุญมิ่งขวัญ), most of the villagers, including hill tribes, are poor as they lack agricultural lands. The Mae Hong Son Province is the first government unit which has donated blankets to villagers this winter.

Meanwhile, the governor revealed that the province will urgently create more jobs for the villagers. He has instructed the village chiefs to survey the needs of their residents in order to provide them with the right jobs.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 January 2007

Narcotics Prevention and Eradication Foundation gave out blankets in Mae Hong Son

The Narcotics Prevention and Eradication Foundation distributed 2,500 blankets to students and police officers in the northern province of Mae Hong Son as the temperature sinks lower.

Pol. Gen. Phao Sarasin, the Chairman of the Narcotics Prevention and Eradication Foundation, stated that a very cold air mass from china will cover the northern region of Thailand on January 9th 2006. The temperature will drop to around three to five degrees Celsius, and there will also be strong winds. Pol. Gen. Phao said students and police officers in rural areas may not be able to study or work due to chilly weather.

Thus, the Narcotics Prevention and Eradication Foundation donated a total of 2,500 blankets to 15 schools and 15 police stations in remote areas of Mae Hong Son. In the previous years, many people in the North suffered from cold weather, and the foundation usually gave out winter apparels to them.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 January 2007

80,000 blankets sent to relieve northern students from the cold

The Ministry of Education has just sent 80,000 blankets and other necessities to schools located on high terrains in the northern part of Thailand.

The commodities, designed to help relieve hardship of hilltribe children in the North who are suffering from the cold, are dispatched this morning in a caravan of 60 off-road vehicles launched by the Minister of Education, Mr. Wichit Srisa-arn (วิจิตร ศรีสอ้าน).

The caravan will travel to schools in hardly-accessible mountainous areas in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son. A number of officials, scouts and public and private sector representatives are accompanying the mission.

The Education Minister said the winter clothes are prepared for more than 10,000 students. The ministry is usually lenient about school uniforms in this season of the year.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 January 2007