Review: SETV - Hong Kong - Less Friendly than Before

Yesterday when I returned from dropping my passport off at the Hong Kong office, and I was really surprised to have been given the third degree about what I am doing in Thailand given how painless my previous visit to this office was.  This is the first time I've ever been question so thoroughly, which says a lot considering that Taiwan refused to give me a visa earlier this year (in Taiwan it wasn't so much about asking questions as it was  I see you just left Thailand yesterday, go home). 

I arrived at around 10:30 AM and there were just as few people there as when I arrived at 9:30 several months ago.  The queuing was simple, as usual.

The conversation went something like this (paraphrased there was a bit more back and fourth about why I should get a B visa or travel on visa exempt entries):   

"I don't know, you have many visas.  Are you working in Thailand?"

"No I have money from America.  I don't need to work in Thailand." 

"Maybe you should get a B visa."

"I can't qualify for a B visa because  I don't have an employer in Thailand." 

"Oh okay then.   Why not use a visa exempt entry then.  You can stay 30 days without a visa."

"I want to stay longer.   I have friends in bangkok and I usually stay to be with them." 

"Are you a resident of Hong Kong?"

"No." 

"You should go to your home country.  You can get a visa there  (referring to the multi entery visa),   They can ask for more documents to show that you are not working."

"If you like  I can bring any documents you want here next time. That's no problem." 

"I will take your application this time, but next time you should go to your home country."

I'm surprised because this passport is only a year old, with fairly few entries compared to my old passport which was completely full of visas and in-outs.   

In any case, I picked up my passport this morning and thankfully I have a new Visa.  The person at the counter this time was much friendlier. 

I don't really want to start having to go to Vientaine  because I don't like their visa process, and because I use One World award miles to book my tickets  (they don't fly to Laos).  

Can anyone recommend alternate embassies/consulates  that I should use from here on out that won't mind 4 (or more) visas back to back?   I hear good things about Kuala Lumpar....    Seoul was also super easy when I went last time with 3 visas...    Maybe they will continue to be so.  Obviously, I'd like to avoid getting a whole new passport when this one is so new. 

Total Visa and Entries in my Passport (in order of appearance): 

- SETV Vientaine

- SETV - From Hong Kong
- Visa Exempt Entry (This was when Taiwan refused to accept my application)

- SETV - South Korea

- SETV Hong Kong (new as of this morning)

On a Side Note - Directions

Yesterday there was a monster thunderstorm and  I think I've discovered the best walking route to get there.   The directions from the other post I think were a bit convoluted. 

Get off at the Admiralty  MTR - Exit B1.    Walk up stairs to the ground level.   Walk up Stairs again to the LIPO building.   Walk past the information desk until you get to the door leading outside.   Go our the door and followed the covered area.  In a few meters you'll see a sign overhead that points to Fairmont House.    Turn left.   Walk across the bridge.  Enter Fairmont House.   Go to the 8th floor. 

This will keep you dry if it's raining in HK which it has been 2 out of my four trips to this office. 

Hotel Recommendations 

Bishop Lei International House wasn't bad the first time I came to HK.   They have a shuttle that runs every hour that will take you right to Admiralty station. 

This time I stayed in Royal Plaza Hotel Near Prince Edward and Mong Kok  MTR stations.    I think that any hotel near an MTR station between Prince Edward and Admiralty is good.   It only took me 10 minutes to go from Mong Kok to Admiralty  this visit, whereas the Bishop Lei shuttle takes a bit longer, and you have to wait for the hotel schedule. 

Edited by pjthefey

Perhaps it had something to do with being your 2nd from HK, though I seem to recall others having no issues with more than one.

It could also be that that HK have joined in the "Oh, you must have come to Thailand to take a job at 1/4 the wage you could make at home," brigade.  I always have my Thai bank-books to show the origin of my funds is abroad, in case they ask - but I think they know we don't come here for jobs.  It's much like the denials at the airport, where they don't let the victim go to the ATM and pull out the money.

Perhaps passport-renewals will become an annual-requirement for under-50s, now.

Edited by JackThompson