Buying A Blackberry

SDH

They're available here, my boss has one with an AIS package .

I don't see what the big deal is , I'd rather have an O2 PDA :o..

Yes well it's up to you but I was very unhappy with my O2....

Do you know where they're available? Like mall store?

Thanks.

Got an O2 XDA IIs, the big one with the slide out keyboard...

Love it, shame it's not Edge capable.

Also have a brand spanking new hp 6828, and hate it although this has edge (why I bought it in the first place...

Screen is to small especially for inputting text through the on-screen keyboard :o

Just using it as a fancy modem for my laptop when on the move...

Any particular reason you didnt like the O2, Ive got the Exec version and I love it

Prudent,

I got rid of it because the screen was so small, well I also broke the 2 little sticks that came with it. Also the phone volume didn't go very high....So it was a combination of things. When i get down to Bkk from CM I'll take a look at the new O2's and the BB's and see if I can find a suitable one for me.

Thanks for the help!

The typical benefit of a Blackberry is that it is very fast for its core functions when compared to its Windows Mobile counterparts. Battery life is pretty good, and you can do the same primary functions as the WM devices, and the older ones were bulletproof. (Newer ones take abuse, but not as solid.)

Web browsing is also generally faster on the blackberry when you have constrained bandwidth, since you have a server in the middle trimming down the pages and down-sampling images. My bb has two different RIM browsers-- a fast one that is compatible with 80% of the sites and a slow one that works for 98%.

The other main benefit I find is that it works better one-handed, and there is no stylus to lose. It's nice when you are reading documents.

The blackberry kills me when it comes to attachments-- there is no way to transfer to or from the laptop. Pricing plans make tethering unattractive when roaming.

There still is no great all in one solution. I am hoping/dreaming that Apple is coming out with one in the second week of January, but not holding my breath.

As to the original question, the bb's seem to have flopped in Thailand, and not many retail outlets carry them (even in BKK). Best bet is finding a place that will order one for you. It does need to be on a post-paid plan.

• 2 weeks later...
The typical benefit of a Blackberry is that it is very fast for its core functions when compared to its Windows Mobile counterparts. Battery life is pretty good, and you can do the same primary functions as the WM devices, and the older ones were bulletproof. (Newer ones take abuse, but not as solid.)

Web browsing is also generally faster on the blackberry when you have constrained bandwidth, since you have a server in the middle trimming down the pages and down-sampling images. My bb has two different RIM browsers-- a fast one that is compatible with 80% of the sites and a slow one that works for 98%.

The other main benefit I find is that it works better one-handed, and there is no stylus to lose. It's nice when you are reading documents.

The blackberry kills me when it comes to attachments-- there is no way to transfer to or from the laptop. Pricing plans make tethering unattractive when roaming.

There still is no great all in one solution. I am hoping/dreaming that Apple is coming out with one in the second week of January, but not holding my breath.

As to the original question, the bb's seem to have flopped in Thailand, and not many retail outlets carry them (even in BKK). Best bet is finding a place that will order one for you. It does need to be on a post-paid plan.

I have just sent one out to a mate in Bangkok, a blackberry 7230, he loves it, now he has 3 people who want one, they are hard to get in Thailand, so sending 3 out to him, maybe next week, he has gone onto a contract with his, i do not think they work on pay as you go, mine does not work in the UK, got to be on contract, he has put his on contract with Asia GPRS, 1950 baht per month, and works whatever country he travels to, he says they have a good offer on at the moment.