Emaux SSC15 Salt Water Chlorinator

asiapt

Does anyone else have the same issues as me with the Emaux salt water Chlorinator. I have had two now and they only seem to last for a year before something happens inside the control unit and the option as are to sen it back to Bangkok for repair or do a bypass solution to rectify. 1st time was after 1.5 years and it was something to do with the timer so our pool engineer installed a separate time and electric box. Then we had a problem with the filter splitting and leaking (found out it was a cheap unbranded filter from China) so had another pool installer (who shall not be named as he also ripped us off with over charging for another issue already discussed on this forum) come and install a complete new system. New Emaux filter, pump and Chlorinator.

Worked perfectly till last week and then the pump would not come on at all. 

Only 14 months later Now the unit does not switch the pump on! Our pool engineer came out last night and again he says the issue is in the new Emaux SSC15 box again. 

He had to by pass the unit so we could switch on the pump manually.

The unit does look like it is producing chlorine from the cell but there is still an issue in the box so looks like I will have to send it to Bangkok for repair.

However, the reason for this post is to find out if anyone else has had issues with the Emaux SSC15 ?

I am being told now they they are not good and only last 1 - 2 years - and they are not cheap !!!

If your salt chlorinator timer is connected directly to your pool pump you maybe pulling too many amps through the chlorinator.

Although not an Emaux chlorinator, mine has an output power for a pool pump but is restricted to a maximum of 7.5A.

As my pool pump draws 12A I got round this by using a contactor, the S/C output operates the contactor, switching the pool pump on and off.

Maybe you are overloading the chlorinator?

I believe we also have a contactor as there is a separate electrical control box and it has this magnetic contact switch. We replaced that first (800 baht)  but still the same issue. We have a filter and pump combo also from Emaux so I am sure the components are all compatible. The engineer said the problem is that the SCC15 box is not sending the current to the magnetic switch to turn on the pump. If i press the black button on the front of the magnetic switch... it turns on the pump but one has to keep it pushed in with your finger. 

Thanks for your feed back.

• 6 months later...

Are you sure the place where you got it is a legit one? Anyway, great to know that you already know the issue. I also have an Emaux, got it from PoolMaster and it's still working perfectly but yes, you need to use quality filters on it. You might want to try the ones from PoolMaster on their thailandpoolshop website. I can personally vouch for the quality of their products. Cheers.

I have had enormous problems with this brand. 10 went in one complex + many others. They don't like power fluctuations. If the front LED reads 888 then it is the internal fuses, which (once you know) are easy to change but loose warranty (if under 1 yr). If the front LED is dead then it is the small fuse in the front. Timers are a week point on Chlorinators! The start up amperage is an issue as well.Same with all the other brands as most are made in China & are sub standard. I only use & recommend and Australian made brand now. "PuraPool" They are bulletproof & come with a 2 yr guarantee. They are over engineered to stand the tropical conditions! We are getting more inquiries up country now & I certainly don't want to be driving hours to fix a bloody fuse. I can sleep when a "PuraPool" machine is installed!

Have not had a problem with either an Emaux or Astral Pool chlorinator here in Thailand.  The Emaux control box for the chlorinator also switches the pump on and off (dunno whether that qualifies as "direct contract) and I have wide variation in power here in Isaan - if the lights and aircon units are anything to go by. Pump is an Emaux 1.5HP econ unit.

Just saying. I would probably pay more for a two year guarantee if I was replacing, so the PuraPool info is worth knowing Bagwain. 

27 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Have not had a problem with either an Emaux or Astral Pool chlorinator here in Thailand.  The Emaux control box for the chlorinator also switches the pump on and off (dunno whether that qualifies as "direct contract) and I have wide variation in power here in Isaan - if the lights and aircon units are anything to go by. Pump is an Emaux 1.5HP econ unit.

Just saying. I would probably pay more for a two year guarantee if I was replacing, so the PuraPool info is worth knowing Bagwain. 

Most salt chlorinators are supposed to control the pump, however 90% of the Reno's & fixes I have performed have not had the pump connected. Monkey see monkey do!

The Australian factory in Brisbane has tested all major brands and they don't come up to claims of Cl output etc! over 5 million dollars of R&D have been spent to come up with the "arguably" the best machines on the market!! (I am an autherised agent & not part of the Co. but know the Mg Dir personally)! 

PuraPool have a range of models and types. Budget to high spec. The new "Oxy Minerale" system is unreal. Uses pink Himalayan salt. Basically a fresh water pool with 89 minerals. Creates 2 types of active oxygen & a very small amount of Cl for certification by the health authorities etc in Straya!! Go on YouTube you will find a video explaining how it works! (can't post the link here as they will delete the whole thread)!

The cells are made of solid titanium plates & not plated like ALL others on the market! Treated in such a way as to produce more than rated!! This lets them run at a lower charge/setting which in turn gives longevity. 

The model I use, in our builds, have a built in transformer & trip switch that switches the machine off with any power fluctuation. They also have the run dry facility & self cleaning.

PM me you email & I will send you some brochures!

Cheers

17 minutes ago, grollies said:

Just to inject some balance here, Saltigem (also Australian-made) chlorinators are fantastic and I am just a customer and don't know the MD at all :smile:.

Might be a good idea to read the reviews on google!! Do you know where the insides & electronics are made. I would bet that they are just assembled in Aust! 55555

Over the past 10 yrs a lot of the guys that knew their stuff about salt chlorinators have either retired or passed away! Now it is all about cheap cheap!! That is why I only will deal with the one supplier. They have spent millions on R & D to get the machines right! Not particularly wanting to be the biggest, however definitely the best!!  

Some of the biggest names in the industry have gone down this path of cheap cheap. They factor in a large warranty claim and just do the numbers. It is a sad state these days! I know one large supplier in BKK that has a full team just for warranties. One large water park had to have all the butterfly valves changed under warranty. What do you think that cost?

I was at Muang Thai Outlet in Roiet and they had this 2HP control box on special, display model. So it already had the contactor, thermal overload protection and din mounting all in a nice box, so I just added the timer and under/over volts protection.20171202_131503.jpg20171202_131514.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Archived