Tourist accused of stealing Bt699 phone accessory in Phuket

rooster59

Tourist accused of stealing Bt699 phone accessory in Phuket

By The Nation

9e56385e143c5403066d03ae0b760cc8-sld.jpeg

The owner of a mobile phone accessory shop in Phuket province has accused a Belgian tourist of stealing an accessory costing Bt699 from her shop on Friday.

Nichapha-orn Chaiviriyawong, the owner of Remax shop in Tambon Talad Yai in Phuket’s Muang district, posted a video clip on her Facebook wall that purportedly showed one of two tourists putting something from her shop into a bag of purchased goods before leaving the shop.

Nichapha-orn filed a complaint with the Phuket Muang police station that the theft took place at around 3.14pm.

She said she was monitoring CCTVs in her shop when the two Belgian tourists entered and she saw one of them put something into the bag of goods he had already paid for while his friend was paying for his goods.

The shop owner said she called her staff to check their bags but it was too late as the tourists had left the shop. The staff checked their stocks and found that a dashboard phone holder costing Bt699 had gone missing.

The two Belgian tourists had together bought goods with their credit cards totalling Bt5,365.

She said she had posted the clip to warn other shops.

Pol Lt-Colonel Naruewat Phutthawir, an inspector at Phuket Tourist Police Station 2, said efforts would be made to locate the two tourists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30316487

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-27

37 minutes ago, inactiveposter said:

And why is the "CCTV" shaking? More to this story I'm sure...

Because someone took a video of the monitor playing back the original video and had a shaky hand?

14 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Because someone took a video of the monitor playing back the original video and had a shaky hand?

That took you, HKT, less than a minute to work that out AND reply.

I wonder how  Inactive pondered on it before rushing to their keyboard.

How do you know tourist vs ex-pat?  So why use a CC giving your name?

familiar with theft mind sets - people usually buy small value in cash but steal higher end items....

just b/c one thing is missing in inventory could mean anyone at anytime stole it from the last time inventory check....

biggest problem in general with mini marts 7-11s small shops is theft more apt to be internal vs external...

5 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

And why is the "CCTV" shaking? More to this story I'm sure...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, off course it is. Are you trying to imply that the shop owner have made a fake CCTV-video for 699 Bath? Hillarious!

16 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

She could have charged the lost amount to his credit card number. You can manually input credit card numbers in the terminal.

She won't have a record of the full number and that would be fraud 

23 hours ago, schlog said:

My bet is on the staff.

Who in his right mind pay with his own CC 5.365 Baht and steal for 699 Baht.

A Belgian would pay 699 Baht with a stolen CC and steal more stuff for 5.365 Baht.

Did you watch the video schlog?? It clearly shows the customer putting the item in his shopping bag once he'd moved to where the staff couldn't see his hands.

How on earth do you make the leap to blaming the staff? Baffled

Edited by Argus Tuft

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017 at 10:27 PM, fdch said:

3 cops investing 699 bht theft  boring topic

Actually I met one of the guys today - he was pretty frustrated because he didn't know what his buddy did... and obviously gobsmacked that he'd be stupid enough to run his credit card for ID and then steal something like that.

The courts fined him 1000 baht, bail was 90,000 and I met the 'good guy' in Bangkok - apparently 1000 baht fine seems trivial to us, but he's being deported.

Amazing - he said the video went viral so that he had folks from home saying they'd seen him on their TV news too. I bet he's more famous than the Red Bull - heir - what's that all about? nearly forgot in the excitement...