Inverted aircon

THAIPHUKET

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll have to be a little more specific as many AC units are "Split Systems", consisting of an Outdoor Unit (containing a compressor, condenser coil, and the expansion coil or capillary tubing) and an Indoor Unit (Cooling Coils, long Blower Fan, and Air Filter).

Sound like you're wanting something with a quiet blower mechanism.

My unit is a Toshiba split fixed to the ground outside the house, don't know the capacity, the plate is in an awkward place. Strong enough to cool some 35-40 sqm. I've had the idea of padding the housing to reduce resonance of the blowing air. SO, yes it's only the air stream which is bothering me.

When I replaced my old normal air-con with a new inverter model I was immediately impressed by the huge saving on electricity (my bills went from around 4000B to around 1500B), and by the lack of noise from the outdoor unit. Particularly good was the disappearance of the "thump" that the old unit made when turning on. The temperature inside the room is also much more stable now, with no large swings.

The new unit has a very fluid movement outside and a quiet fan. I suspect that any modern unit would have a fairly quiet fan but I note that some brands do promote the extreme quietness of their fans.

12 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

I hear you well but can you pls elaborate? Why replace a perfectly operating unit ?

I probably wouldn't replace a perfectly operating unit.  UNLESS there are overriding factors such as noise and cost to operate.  Maybe your current AC can be relocated?

3 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Kittenkong
Would you remember what brand claimed to be quiet?

Now that's a good question. No, I dont really remember because when I was looking my attention was focussed on the height of the indoor unit as the space I had between the patio door and the ceiling was very limited and many units were too tall. My Hitachi one didnt claim anything special about indoor fan noise but I find it quiet enough.

Maybe Mitsubishi was one.

I don't mind some sound from an air conditioner. I have a Panasonic inverter and it has a quiet mode. I don't use it but I have tested it. That air con is just a low whisper. That mode is useless for me but it is there for someone who values it.

4 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Would you remember what brand claimed to be quiet?

Quiet is a relative term.  What sound level are you dealing with now? 

Maybe you could download a Sound Pressure app so we can get an idea.

Also, are you dealing with contributing factors like lack of natural ambient noise (white noise) to help 'soften' the fan noise, or a room with large amount of flat surfaces   ...or maybe it's just a noisy, vibrating, squirrel cage fan that's in need of service or replacement.

4 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I don't recall anybody complaining about a noisy inverter model any brand.  For sure Daikin and Mitsubishi (I have one of each) are very quiet both outside and in.

the fan noise of inside units does not differ whether conventional or inverter. there might be some difference noticeable when comparing manufacturers. but if somebody is annoyed by the lowest fan speed of a conventional aircon replacing it with an inverter is nothing but wasted money.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

the fan noise of inside units does not differ whether conventional or inverter. there might be some difference noticeable when comparing manufacturers. but if somebody is annoyed by the lowest fan speed of a conventional aircon replacing it with an inverter is nothing but wasted money.

Well, not totally wasted if you consider the operating costs - which would be the only reason I would replace if everything else is good.

I wonder if the OP has tried "Dry" mode.  Whether conventional or inverter the inside unit will mostly run at a poof in dry mode.

Assuming the units are sized correctly, a new inverter will not save much energy over a new conventional unit.

They are worth spending a little more for, but it's not going to pay for itself if you are replacing a good unit with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Because cost is not the issue here, can I come back to my idea=
If the problem is how to reduce air stream noise how can that be achieved?
Think of a muffler.
Perhaps some tape placed in the right places would cut noise emission but X?
Let's try some brainstorming .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Assuming the units are sized correctly, a new inverter will not save much energy over a new conventional unit.

They are worth spending a little more for, but it's not going to pay for itself if you are replacing a good unit with it.

Not sure how much "much" is to you.  In my case, I replaced a 4 year old Mitsu 9K BTU (relocated to another bedroom) with a Daikin inverter "12K" BTU.  Energy usage of the Daikin is approximately 1/2 that of the Mitsu.  That is with both running about 18 hours/day.  The Mitsu would cycle on/off (as they do).  The Daikin runs all the time but uses 1/2 the energy.  The price gap seems to be closer these days so, again I think it's just silly to not go inverter when buying an AC.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Let me guess, you don't have inverter aircons.

Not sure how much "much" is to you.  In my case, I replaced a 4 year old Mitsu 9K BTU (relocated to another bedroom) with a Daikin inverter "12K" BTU.  Energy usage of the Daikin is approximately 1/2 that of the Mitsu.  That is with both running about 18 hours/day.  The Mitsu would cycle on/off (as they do).  The Daikin runs all the time but uses 1/2 the energy.  The price gap seems to be closer these days so, again I think it's just silly to not go inverter when buying an AC.

Whatever

42 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

i refrain from commenting :saai:

I'm seeing a conflict between pro brand and/or inverter AC's in this thread. What are the facts?

We're nearing the tail end of new construction & have been planning on installing Daikins. My concerns are pulling as few amps as possible when these units start/run, and of course the cost. I think any decent brand runs pretty quiet and does what it's intended for (my ears are ringing all the time anyways).

IMO the energy consumption labels on a lot of brands are a little misleading, but that could just be me. 

Thanks!

I'm seeing a conflict between pro brand and/or inverter AC's in this thread. What are the facts?
We're nearing the tail end of new construction & have been planning on installing Daikins. My concerns are pulling as few amps as possible when these units start/run, and of course the cost. I think any decent brand runs pretty quiet and does what it's intended for (my ears are ringing all the time anyways).
IMO the energy consumption labels on a lot of brands are a little misleading, but that could just be me. 
Thanks!

Generally speaking, if your unit is sized correctly, you should use 5-10% less electricity with a high quality inverter unit, over a high quality conventional unit. If you buying new unit, you should certainly consider getting a high quality inverter unit.

In any event, buy a brand that is popular, and a model that is well represented in your area and by your contractor.

I like the the cassette type that mounts in the ceiling. These are getting more popular, and are being offered by more and more manufacturers. Mounted in the center of the room, they cool in four directions, and draw the return air from the center of the ceiling. No cold or hot spots.