Dual pricing now coming to Agoda!

wump

I found no option to show real prices on the Agoda website. I checked all the options in my profile. If it really is there, then it is hidden very well.

I can only speak for Thailand and Cambodia, but in these countries the end price is always shown on booking.com. On a side note, VAT in Malaysia is 6%.

Screenshot is from Agoda:

Capture.PNG

Edited by wump

4 hours ago, THAILIBAN said:

not true

you can change the settings so the final price is shown on the website too, not only on the app.

booking.com does that a lot more randomly. no options to show final price. so, in some cases, even in the same City such as Kuala Lumpur, sometimes you see the final price, sometimes a 7% VAT is added, and sometimes a 10% service fee plus a 7% VAT is added.

You have to be very careful when booking on booking.com

a lot more easy on agoda, no such silly games there

Strange.

In the past 9 years I booked 100s of nights, usually on booking.com, taxes and other charges were always included from the beginning.

I do not stay much in hotels in Thailand though, only airport hotels / hotels in a city near to where we live.

9 hours ago, wump said:

I found no option to show real prices on the Agoda website. I checked all the options in my profile. If it really is there, then it is hidden very well.

I can only speak for Thailand and Cambodia, but in these countries the end price is always shown on booking.com. On a side note, VAT in Malaysia is 6%.

Screenshot is from Agoda:

It is very well hidden indeed!!!

You have to click on CURRENCY on the first page to access the choice "sneaky price or real price"!

I discovered this while on holiday in Norway. I looked for an airport hotel in BKK, and by default I got prices in NOK - I wanted prices in baht of course, and I am not even Norwegian.

Such a silly old fashioned selling technique.

2 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Of course all booking websites show final price when you go on the last page where you can give your credit cards details.

I do not understand why your life is so complicated guys.

Maybe because it saves time when comparing prices for the same hotel?

Not having to abort a booking when realizing being cheated?

Maybe because I do not like scammers that treat me as an idiot?

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Maybe because it saves time when comparing prices for the same hotel?

Not having to abort a booking when realizing being cheated?

Maybe because I do not like scammers that treat me as an idiot?

Wow, how complicated it is to go to the last page of the booking to be able to compare different websites ! But I understand that many guys here are not born with Internet...

6 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Wow, how complicated it is to go to the last page of the booking to be able to compare different websites ! But I understand that many guys here are not born with Internet...

You don't do internet bookings do you?

You can NOT just go to the last page to find the real price. First you have to fill in a zillion details. For nothing.

17 hours ago, oldhippy said:

You don't do internet bookings do you?

You can NOT just go to the last page to find the real price. First you have to fill in a zillion details. For nothing.

you are so wrong, not only I do internet booking but I also manage online shops as a job. Yes, please explain me everything that I need to know.

I repeat that you get the full complete price that you will pay when you go on agoda and booking last page WITHOUT filling any information.

we made this decision after 18 months of them discounting our rooms without notifying us...

How did this affect you?  Agoda would use the same, discounted policy with my hotel.  But they always still paid me the room rate that I configured in their YCS extranet.  In some cases, Agoda was selling my rooms at a loss to them, but I was always paid my YCS rate.

1 hour ago, bangkokairportlink said:

you are so wrong, not only I do internet booking but I also manage online shops as a job. Yes, please explain me everything that I need to know.

I repeat that you get the full complete price that you will pay when you go on agoda and booking last page WITHOUT filling any information.

I think you are pretty alone with your opinion here. Agoda's silly prices don't allow for easy comparison. Of course I could just add the 17% in my head but it is quite annoying. When booking a hotel I usually just hover over the map to compare prices of hotels. Easy with Booking.com as the final price is shown, not so easy with Agoda where I first have to open the hotel page, fill in the number of rooms and click Next.

How could anyone defend Agoda's practices?! It's like airlines adding fuel surcharges (essentially just a part of the fare) and taxes later. AirAsia were the first to display the All-In price, hats off to them (even though they started getting sneaky again with their automatic luggage add-on and ridiculously high payment fees). 

Edited by wump

On 6/1/2017 at 0:18 PM, THAILIBAN said:

not true

you can change the settings so the final price is shown on the website too, not only on the app.

booking.com does that a lot more randomly. no options to show final price. so, in some cases, even in the same City such as Kuala Lumpur, sometimes you see the final price, sometimes a 7% VAT is added, and sometimes a 10% service fee plus a 7% VAT is added.

You have to be very careful when booking on booking.com

a lot more easy on agoda, no such silly games there

GUys ... its all  UP TO THE HOTEL how the tax comes into play.   Its NOT Agoda's, decision...

I think you are pretty alone with your opinion here

simon and mine are NOT OPINIONS  we use Agoda and booking.com andand  ... for our hotels/villas etc

we know how it works;;;

you all are just guessing,,,

Untrue. In Thailand the standard setting in Agoda (for the user) is the price displayed without the 17%. There is NOT A SINGLE HOTEL where the 17% is not added!

Edited by wump

6 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

GUys ... its all  UP TO THE HOTEL how the tax comes into play.   Its NOT Agoda's, decision...

simon and mine are NOT OPINIONS  we use Agoda and booking.com andand  ... for our hotels/villas etc

we know how it works;;;

you all are just guessing,,,

Strange.

When I access Agoda in Thailand, the 17% is never included in the original price.

When I access Agoda in Europe, the 17 % is always included.

Yet you claim it is not Agoda, but the hotels that decide.

phuketrichard, anything to say to post #42? :)

Edit: And I might add: On Booking.com taxes are NEVER added on any single hotel in Thailand.

Edited by wump

On 01/06/2017 at 5:16 PM, oldhippy said:

Strange.

In the past 9 years I booked 100s of nights, usually on booking.com, taxes and other charges were always included from the beginning.

I do not stay much in hotels in Thailand though, only airport hotels / hotels in a city near to where we live.

It depends from where you access the site. If I access booking.com from my country of origin, all Taxes have to be included by law

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:01 PM, bangkokairportlink said:

I found some of your friends who also do not know how to use Internet :-)

Oh I do know how to use the internet.

What I do not like is when the internet uses me, or more precisely, when some smart ass marketing nobody tries to scam me with his internet & marketing "skills".

I understand that quite a few of the hotel booking websites are now owned by the same company.

They operate like uber etc in that they are now the biggest names in the hotel business but do not own a single hotel room.

If an hotelier wants to sign up with them then the booking agent is completly in charge.

They set the room rates on their websites & not the hotels.

The real high end joints have different agreements.

Hotels can let directly to you but they must not undercut the online prices that websites set or they are blacklisted.

Your beat bet is a walk in to a place with a bent front desk also an half empty hotel & they may well rent you a room off the book for a decent discount.

How do I know this?

I'm opening one up (not here I might add) later in the year & these are the terms that I have been offered.

It's a new day & surge pricing is a term that will take over for a while.

I wonder if Tescos will charge us less if we go shopping when the stores quiet? ;)

11 minutes ago, SidJames said:

I understand that quite a few of the hotel booking websites are now owned by the same company.

They operate like uber etc in that they are now the biggest names in the hotel business but do not own a single hotel room.

If an hotelier wants to sign up with them then the booking agent is completly in charge.

They set the room rates on their websites & not the hotels.

The real high end joints have different agreements.

Hotels can let directly to you but they must not undercut the online prices that websites set or they are blacklisted.

Your beat bet is a walk in to a place with a bent front desk also an half empty hotel & they may well rent you a room off the book for a decent discount.

How do I know this?

I'm opening one up (not here I might add) later in the year & these are the terms that I have been offered.

It's a new day & surge pricing is a term that will take over for a while.

I wonder if Tescos will charge us less if we go shopping when the stores quiet? ;)

About lower prices if one just walks in from the street:

That is only possible if the hotel owner has hired competent / trustworthy / decently paid / professional reception staff.

Since hotels (and all other businesses) these days opt for the Low Cost Business Model, that will be the exception, not the rule.