Retirement Visa

Yesterday, I went to Bangkok Immigration for my Retirement VISA.

Application TM7,

Bank Statements + Bank Letter,

Copies of my Passport,

1 photograph,

1,900 baht fee.

Walked out, 15 minutes later with the 1 year VISA.

Not bad.

Hi congratualtion !

I suppose it is a renewal of the extension ?

Can you tell us if you had the 800K more than 3 months in the account ?

I am in the same situation as you Skipper. Currently on an extension based on marriage. I was wondering whever to switch to the retirement option. I think I am right in saying that if I do change then I cannot go back to the 400k in the bank method at a later date. As you say the retirement method is a lot quicker to process. I realise I am lucky to have the choice but am not sure which way to go. Any opinions anyone.

Thanks for sharing your experience Skipper. Can you advise: do you need an re-entry permit to go abroad, as I'm not clear on this? Presumably you can obtain (a multiple) at the same time as the Retirement visa?

You need a re-entry permit to keep your extension of stay alive.

You can apply for a single or a multi re-entry permit anytime after receiving the extension of stay stamp.

Presumably I only need an extension of stay after the first year's retirement visa has expired, meaning I can go in and out with re-entry permits, using the retirement visa in the first year?

I don't understand what you have.

If you are in Thailand with a one year Non-Im O A multi entry visa then you do not need re-entry permits.

If you have a single entry, you need a re-entry permit to keep your period of stay alive.

if you tell us what kind of visa and/or period of stay, it will be easier to reply

Presumably I only need an extension of stay after the first year's retirement visa has expired, meaning I can go in and out with re-entry permits, using the retirement visa in the first year?

That is only true if you have a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa issued by a Consulate. If you have an extension of stay from immigration or a single entry non immigrant O-A visa you just have a re entry permit to keep your permitted to stay alive.

I have a non-imm B multi entry visa

I am not familiar with the B visas but if it is a multi entry you should be coverred for enterring Thailand without a re-entry permit up to the last day of the validity of the visa.

Are you on a one year extension of stay from that visa? If not you only receive 90 day permitted to stay stamps and a re-entry permit is not required - you receive a new 90 day permitted to stay stamp on each entry.

Application TM7,

Copies of my Passport,

1 photograph,

1,900 baht fee.

Not bad.

Thats interesting feedback. I too am thinking of switching to the retirement visa and also have an HSBC account in Bangkok - although mine is in Baht.

Did you have any problems getting the letters from HSBC or was it normal practise to them. When I spoke to them about this a couple of years ago they did not know what I was talking about.

My account is a foreign Baht account as opposed to a local (Thai) account. I opened it from the UK, but could now make it a local Thai account by travelling to Bangkok and doing the relevant paperwork(I live in Pattaya) if need be.

I have a Local Thai Farmer acount as well which I have been using for immigration purposes until now.

Edited by dsfbrit

I am in the same situation as you Skipper. Currently on an extension based on marriage. I was wondering whever to switch to the retirement option. I think I am right in saying that if I do change then I cannot go back to the 400k in the bank method at a later date. As you say the retirement method is a lot quicker to process. I realise I am lucky to have the choice but am not sure which way to go. Any opinions anyone.

I was told that those of us who have a visa extension based on marriage could keep the 400K rule as it was grandfathered in under the new rules.

However if I gave it up for any reason, I would not get the 400k option back.

I think I prefer this retirement visa extension, the married extension is coming under more amd more scrutiny (and therefore increased hassle) and the retirement visa seems so easy to do - if a little expensive on the potential lost interest on the 800k Baht.

Its actually more than 800k when you think about it as the money has to be there for 3 months before at least and must not go below that figure.

I am not familiar with the B visas but if it is a multi entry you should be coverred for enterring Thailand without a re-entry permit up to the last day of the validity of the visa.

It is a multi entry and it expires in July. After July do I then require a multi entry, (assuming I have a one year valid retirement visa)?

Are you on a one year extension of stay from that visa? If not you only receive 90 day permitted to stay stamps and a re-entry permit is not required - you receive a new 90 day permitted to stay stamp on each entry.

No, my non-imm B does not expire until July. I become 50 in march and want to use it to apply for a retirement visa. Once I obtain the retirement visa, do I also have to have a non-imm visa? If, once the current non-imm visa expires do I require multi entry re-entry permits?

I am trying the retirement route to avoid the regular 90 day exits that I currently need on my non-imm B.

Application TM7,

Copies of my Passport,

1 photograph,

1,900 baht fee.

Not bad.

Thats interesting feedback. I too am thinking of switching to the retirement visa and also have an HSBC account in Bangkok - although mine is in Baht.

Did you have any problems getting the letters from HSBC or was it normal practise to them. When I spoke to them about this a couple of years ago they did not know what I was talking about.

My account is a foreign Baht account as opposed to a local (Thai) account. I opened it from the UK, but could now make it a local Thai account by travelling to Bangkok and doing the relevant paperwork(I live in Pattaya) if need be.

I have a Local Thai Farmer acount as well which I have been using for immigration purposes until now.

I think most banks are now clued up on the Immigration procedures.

HSBC was prepared.

Take the escalator and talk to the people at the first desk on the left.

Its actually more than 800k when you think about it as the money has to be there for 3 months before at least and must not go below that figure.

the account can go below 800k during the year , but must be topped up to at least 800k 3 months before visa renewal and remain at least 800k until renewal.

It is a multi entry and it expires in July. After July do I then require a multi entry, (assuming I have a one year valid retirement visa)?

In that case you will not have a visa but an extension of stay. With an extension of stay you will require a re entry permit prior to leaving the country or you will lose the extension of stay.

Application TM7,

Copies of my Passport,

1 photograph,

1,900 baht fee.

Not bad.

I am going for my first extension of an O visa based on retirement soon. However, I don't have monthly bank statements. Instead, I have a savings passbook which of course shows all transfers with codes, withdrawls, and shows the funds needed have been properly aged for over 90 days.

I am assuming this along with a bank letter will suffice, correct?

Edited by Thaiquila

Application TM7,

Copies of my Passport,

1 photograph,

1,900 baht fee.

Not bad.

I am going for my first extension of an O visa based on retirement soon. However, I don't have monthly bank statements. Instead, I have a savings passbook which of course shows all transfers with codes, withdrawls, and shows the funds needed have been properly aged for over 90 days.

I am assuming this along with a bank letter will suffice, correct?

The Bank Book or Bank Statements should be OK.

Just so you know, HSBC will print out the 3 previous months statements for a fee if needed.

Ok. I think. I therefore use the TM.7 to obtain an extension of stay, (which is in effect a retirement visa)????

It is not a good way to explain however as a visa allows access to enter a country - what you have is an extension of stay to remain in the country. That extension of stay will not allow you to access the country (leave without a re entry permit and it is over).

A retirement visa would be the non immigrant O-A visa that is issued by Consulates with the approval of Immigration and allows a one year permitted to stay stamp to be issued on entry. This is often the basis of the later extensions of stay (TM.7) that you have.

the account can go below 800k during the year , but must be topped up to at least 800k 3 months before visa renewal and remain at least 800k until renewal.

Agreed - although I dont lose sleep over losing interest on this money, it is the only thing that makes the extension due to marriage even slightly attractive.

Now, with the Marriage extension I would have to transfer about 600,000 Baht 3 months before.

With the Retirement extension I need to transfer nearly 1 Million Baht.

There is some talk about people moving this money into a fixed interest/time account. Will be interesting over the coming months to see if Immigration accept this method ?

You do not have to use the money in the 800k account to live on but guess you are planning on one movement of money each year so would have to be enough more to pay your way for 3 months?

There have already been a number of people reporting using fixed deposit accounts. Even foreign currency accounts held by Thai located banks have been approved. But I would recommend talking with officer first if you plan to use that option.

You do not have to use the money in the 800k account to live on but guess you are planning on one movement of money each year so would have to be enough more to pay your way for 3 months?

There have already been a number of people reporting using fixed deposit accounts. Even foreign currency accounts held by Thai located banks have been approved. But I would recommend talking with officer first if you plan to use that option.

Good advice indeed, in fact for the extra bit of interest involved who needs the hassle.

Happy New Year Lopburi3 - and thanks for all your help this year

Dave

Agreed - although I dont lose sleep over losing interest on this money, it is the only thing that makes the extension due to marriage even slightly attractive.

Now, with the Marriage extension I would have to transfer about 600,000 Baht 3 months before.

With the Retirement extension I need to transfer nearly 1 Million Baht.

There is some talk about people moving this money into a fixed interest/time account. Will be interesting over the coming months to see if Immigration accept this method ?

My money is in a fixed interest acount so should be interesting when I renew my marriage extension in March. The marriage extension not too much of a problem now as my immigration office is not far , but when I move to Khon Kaen next year will be a pain going to Nong Kai every month waiting for it to be aproved.

My money is in a fixed interest acount so should be interesting when I renew my marriage extension in March. The marriage extension not too much of a problem now as my immigration office is not far , but when I move to Khon Kaen next year will be a pain going to Nong Kai every month waiting for it to be aproved.

Perhaps you can let us know how it goes.

I take it you are under 50 so cannot use the retirement route.