Arrested Thais in alleged sex trade in US will be given help

webfact

Arrested Thais in alleged sex trade in US will be given help

531976_500526493320697_1232287653_n.png

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Consulate-General in Chicago will arrange for a lawyer and an interpreter to help 20 arrested and indicted with being members of a sex trafficking network involving Thai women in the US, the Foreign Ministry said on Monday.

According to a statement of the ministry, the consulate-general was coordinating with US agencies to render assistance to all the defendants – both the victims and those under arrest.

The 20 arrested defendants and one who is still at large will be presented to the federal courts in their respective states for indictment within 24 hours. They are being held in custody in their residing states and the cases will be transferred to Minnesota in due course, said the ministry.

The arrests are a follow-up efforts by US authorities following the earlier arrest and indictment of 17 defendants of this network in October 2016.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/arrested-thais-alleged-sex-trade-us-will-given-help/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-30

Render assistant by all means, but if they were found to be guilty of the

human trafficking charges, let them rot in jail and don't go heart bleeding

efforts to ' bring them home' just because they're Thais....

Ahh but those rotten to the core traffickers, if indeed it is proven they are,  possibly have links to influential people and we all know they will get "unusual"  assistance from those in power that being the case. Of course if they had been caught in Thailand they would have been allowed to lie low by now in Singapore or elsewhere.

That's more than the bloody British Embassy will do for any British person that gets arrested here. Doesn't matter the nature of the charge, whether its genuine or spurious, there is absolutely no help forthcoming, other than to notify your family. Getting a lawyer and interpreter and fighting the case is entirely your problem.

This is a case though that is very bad for Thailand's image, so maybe they are just trying to reduce the final guilty count.

5 minutes ago, mikebell said:

How did all these workers get visas to enter US?  It took me months to get my wife a tourist visa.

Good question, Maybe went to Mexico and walked across the border  to the U.S. 

16 minutes ago, mikebell said:

How did all these workers get visas to enter US?  It took me months to get my wife a tourist visa.

Applied for Visa as bi- lingual  social workers. 

"The Thai Consulate-General in Chicago will arrange for a lawyer and an interpreter to help 20 arrested and indicted with being members of a sex trafficking network..."

"Help" as in "Keep your mouths shut and don't implicate the higher ups".

39 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I think the answer is in all those little Thai restaurants that don't seem to do a lot of business and even a casual calculation shows there is no way the little shop could pay the rent and utility bills for the little shop, never mind generate enough income to support the owners. The restaurant makes a deal with some family or group in Thailand.  They charge a sizable fee, do all the immigration Pull work, and say things like "need this person", "exceptional cooking skills" or whatever will help differentiate them from some other applicants.   I would generalize this to many other asian restaurants and other  businesses also.   Just my theory. 

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Render assistant by all means, but if they were found to be guilty of the

human trafficking charges, let them rot in jail and don't go heart bleeding

efforts to ' bring them home' just because they're Thais....

I am sure that the assistance to some of those in jail in The US will be money assistance paid to families here by certain higher ups and officials as a bribe to keep their names from being included in the investigations.

That's more than the bloody British Embassy will do for any British person that gets arrested here. Doesn't matter the nature of the charge, whether its genuine or spurious, there is absolutely no help forthcoming, other than to notify your family. Getting a lawyer and interpreter and fighting the case is entirely your problem.
This is a case though that is very bad for Thailand's image, so maybe they are just trying to reduce the final guilty count.

Don't forget the lack of Embassy help from other countries as well for citizens abroad, like USA. At least Thailand has the balls to do more. Even if it's right or wrong, guilty or not guilty. Or, even if it's just to save face or protect those involved in Thailand. They just might not trust another country's corrupt government's judicial system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The women were probably brought into the US under fraudulent reasons on H2-A or H2-B visas. The women were most likely exploited by brokers here in Thailand before being forced into sex work in the US.  Brokers are the scum of the earth.  I hope the Thai Embassy realizes that it is the victims who will need the most assistance and a lot of counseling and therapy.

Well, I don't think they can pay good lawyers for them, which is the only real help that would matter.  Maybe they will fill their accounts at the canteen, or send some Thai sweets?  Although, it would seem not much can be done in the case of serious charges.  Prisoner exchange, if federal case?

Edited by Redline

3 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

Don't forget the lack of Embassy help from other countries as well for citizens abroad, like USA. At least Thailand has the balls to do more. Even if it's right or wrong, guilty or not guilty. Or, even if it's just to save face or protect those involved in Thailand. They just might not trust another country's corrupt government's judicial system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You're right, it's all about balls  :whistling:

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

it is worse than that. embassies in thailand will provide money so that the prosecution will be successful.