What is the wait time for a replacement U.S. passport?

friendphil

My 6-year old daughter's U.S. passport has expired, and we need to get her a new one before taking the wife and her to the United States with me.  I'll be coming from the U.S. to stay for a nominal amount of time in Thailand, during which we will get to the U.S. embassy on day one or two of my visit to apply for the new passport, after which I would like to limit my stay.  The info on the web for American Services states that the new passport will be ready "usually in about two weeks." 

So I'm wondering how large a period would be safe.  Do any of you U.S. citizens have recent experience and remember how long it took?  We'll be up in Khon Kaen, so will probably have the new passport mailed to us there.

Thanks for any report on this issue!  

Edited by friendphil
had not finished

2 weeks is about right. leave the old passport with them and purchase the EMS option.

then when new passport arrives at embassy, they will mail it to the address you provided.

when you get the email that the passport arrived, you will get it 2 days after that. (maybe 3 days if you are in the sticks)

or if time is of the essence, you can just decline mail option and return to the embassy and pickup.

2 weeks is usually maximum. dont be surprised if it only takes 6-8 days.

----

make sure you make appointment. if there are none available in the automated system, try emailing them to check availability.