Importing A Desk From Singapore -- Customs?

JayBird

Hello,

I couldn't find a desk I liked in Thailand, nor is having one custom made really an option for what I'm looking for.  I did find one I liked in Singapore.  And had a couple of questions:

1) Any problems if shipped with TNT express (will this cause duty to be even more?)

2) Is it true that duty is charged on the shipping fee AND the insurance fee?  (i.e: 500$ desk, 500$ shipping, duty is charged on 1000$?)

3) Should I expect an actual 20% (or is it 30%?) duty to be charged, or could this amount be up to the discretion of the customs officer?

4) Should I expect the customs officer to base the fee on the bill included with the item, or will they re-appraise the desk's value based on their own discretion?

For what it's worth, it's a combo metal/plastic desk with embedded chair and multiple jointed moving parts and rotating arms.  It comes as a (mostly) flatpack that requires assembly.

Thank you.!

The duty will be charged based in CIF value of the product. You might want to import from country of origin as I doubt Singapore make furnitures. It doesn't matter which company you use. I would suggest to import under personal effect if you know someone moving to Singapore.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Don't ASEAN member countries have a preferential tax chart?

Singapore and Thailand are members of ASEAN.

I would directly ask the customs officials and on the worst case, some tea money would definately solve the issue when the parcel arrives, just like many other things in LOS!:partytime2: