What has happened to the Honda motorcycle service stations

jippytum

I have owned a small Honda motorbike for many years. Yesterday i had a small electrical problem and was advised at three Honda outlets with trained mechanics they could not attend to the problem

as each location now did not carry any spare parts .I was directed to minyon  service depot on Pattaya Thai soi 10. They fixed  the  problem that only required a new switch.How come all the Honda outlets can not provide a full service or repairs  to a recent 125i other than change the oil ??

My understanding is that the servicing of bikes is all referred to this one location as they have a staff of about 10 mechanics, a large warehouse full of parts, and a staff that speaks enough English to get things done properly.

Last year I went to the dealership on Sukhumvit where I'd bought my Click to get the 10k service check done and was informed of the same thing - no mechanics working there anymore and I should take the bike to the service center on Pattaya Tai. 

You'd think that there'd be too many bikes in Pattaya to have just one "service center". I still haven't gone as I'm not sure where it is and haven't bothered looking for it.

As with everything you buy here, there is a big smile when you pay,

the moment there is a problem (even warranty ) they try to send you 

away........we no do repair ,you go to dealer .........

Sadly,you dont have a choice ......100 000 or more scooters and 10 technicians to repair them.....

Lucky that 90% of the Thai people never need to repair their scooter ,

they never need to change oil and their tires last until they burst.

Ever seen a 2 year old scooter not farang owned ? lol. 

I term it to cut back the Thai way?  Mityon has a monopoly especially when it comes to purchasing a bike, when it comes to service it sucks. Not even sure if it is a shortage of trained people?

My history with them and I've written to Mityon, is when a owner looks at the service book, it might have six items to check through, but when serviced, barely anything is done, many times just the oil, majority of the time I have to tell them what to change.

I wrote them a year ago, that the type of the service they are providing, many items are being missed and thus a lost of revenue is being missed.  Mityon, owns a parts and after market store on Pattaya Tai, open a number of years ago, but when it was stocked with some amazing items. As the items were being sold for whatever reason the selves weren't being restocked?  Many sections are carrying minimum items nothing new with staff sitting and playing with their phones.  When I purchased my first PCX, they had so many items today the selves are empty like they are waiting for the shop to close.

Best place for parts and independent service, Sukhumvit Soi 51,  that I have found.  On the left right after the bus station.  They have all the original and copy parts of your choice. Service is quick and inexpensive and they provide you with a printed receipt.

I am used to tell the mechanic what he needs to do or at least express clearly the problem to be fixed, otherwise most of them unfortunately have no clue.

Big lack of training, but not only at Honda.

We live in Tak and there is  a small shop that does all the work while you sit and watch him.  Went in there one evening at about 7 and he did new tyres, brake pads, oil change, plug, grease and adjust chain. It was so cheap I went and got him a few beers.  He was very happy. Why not look for a place that does this kind of service  ?

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

As with everything you buy here, there is a big smile when you pay,

the moment there is a problem (even warranty ) they try to send you 

away........we no do repair ,you go to dealer .........

Sadly,you dont have a choice ......100 000 or more scooters and 10 technicians to repair them.....

Lucky that 90% of the Thai people never need to repair their scooter ,

they never need to change oil and their tires last until they burst.

Ever seen a 2 year old scooter not farang owned ? lol. 

Not true about warranty issues. Our LG washing machine with a 10 year warranty on the motor had problems after 7 years and LG send their people out and replaced the motor for free. Samsung A7 mother board packed up at 10 months was replaced for free under their warranty. Desk top computers CPU broke after 3 months replaced under warranty. Triton's electrical window had problem replaced by them.

2 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Not true about warranty issues. Our LG washing machine with a 10 year warranty on the motor had problems after 7 years and LG send their people out and replaced the motor for free. Samsung A7 mother board packed up at 10 months was replaced for free under their warranty. Desk top computers CPU broke after 3 months replaced under warranty. Triton's electrical window had problem replaced by them.

This comment is a lil off track, but, here goes, I will never buy a Samsung product again. Many years ago I had a Samsung Digital camera. It had drivers & software to connect to a Win XP machine. I upgraded to Win 7 & the software wouldn't work. I called Samsung support the tech told me I needed a new cable. I said the cable was new, and it worked fine on my laptop (Win XP) he replied, "You are stupid" "you need to buy a new cable" I demanded to speak to his supervisor The supervisor got on the phone and explained the drivers and software were not compatible with Win Vista or Win 7 but never apologized for his rude employee. This comment mentioned Samsung & reminded me of this rant. 5555. I buy lots of electronics but never Samsung. I believe that was in 2010 or 2011. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Correction

16 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

This comment is a lil off track, but, here goes, I will never buy a Samsung product again. Many years ago I had a Samsung Digital camera. It had drivers & software to connect to a Win XP machine. I upgraded to Win 7 & the software wouldn't work. I called Samsung support the tech told me I needed a new cable. I said the cable was new, and it worked fine on my laptop (Win XP) he replied, "You are stupid" "you need to buy a new cable" I demanded to speak to his supervisor The supervisor got on the phone and explained the drivers and software were not compatible with Win Vista or Win 7 but never apologized for his rude employee. This comment mentioned Samsung & reminded me of this rant. 5555. I buy lots of electronics but never Samsung. I believe that was in 2010 or 2011. 

You bought a product to work on Win XP and it did. You then updated to Win 7 and even though the technician gave you a solution you ignored it.......

And because of one comment from a technician you have held this grudge for over 6 years...........

Your moniker seems very appropriate. :coffee1:

I get that or a different problem

when I go to the licensed Honda shop where I bought my bike, I ask them to do oil change AND check everything/maintenance. they say yeah yeah yeah.. they do the oil change and ask me 100 baht

half the time i am annoyed and just leave.. once they did it and charged me towards 200..

the last time. I said there was something wrong with the chain or something was making this noise.. they called the mechanic. he took the bike for a little stroll and came back and told me "no problem!"

it literally takes like 10 minutes to check everything, and it's not like I am not paying them for it. but they won't do it.

10 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

You are the most lucky guy i know.....or you are 20y old , blond and have the body of.......

13 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Last year I went to the dealership on Sukhumvit where I'd bought my Click to get the 10k service check done and was informed of the same thing - no mechanics working there anymore and I should take the bike to the service center on Pattaya Tai. 

You'd think that there'd be too many bikes in Pattaya to have just one "service center". I still haven't gone as I'm not sure where it is and haven't bothered looking for it.

It's almost opposite the rider shop,next to where they build the soccer field, and it is large and well serviced.

18 hours ago, topt said:

You bought a product to work on Win XP and it did. You then updated to Win 7 and even though the technician gave you a solution you ignored it.......

And because of one comment from a technician you have held this grudge for over 6 years...........

Your moniker seems very appropriate. :coffee1:

The supervisors information was good. It was the info the technician should have offered in the first place. What really steamed me and made samsung a minor enemy was the supervisor failed to apologise for his rude korean employee who was likely trying to make a commission on a $15.00 cable I didn't need.