Video: Impatient drivers show appalling driving habits

webfact

As a driver of both a car and a bike in Bkk I'd like to offer a different take on this.  Although i don't deny that the general driving skills in Thailand are deplorable this does not absolve the idiotic traffic pattern design.   I estimate that 20% of all traffic woes are caused by poor driving skills and another 20% by poorly designed and enforced traffic patterns.  In this particular case it make all the sense in the world to have u turns in both directions under the elevated overpass.  Instead, the traffic planners i their infinite wisdom are trying to push the u-turn for the lanes on the left of the video 150 meters further up into the bumper to bumper traffic. It is absolutely understandable that drivers want to avoid that and to logically make a u-turn where there's less oncoming traffic to merge into.  There's clearly enough space to allow u-turns in both directions.  So the question here should be why isn't it so.

19 minutes ago, outre99 said:

I estimate that 20% of all traffic woes are caused by poor driving skills 

Only 20 % ?,  Wow, I estimate more like 80 % + . Any more bids on this, please chime in.

15 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maybe funny for you, but a crazy Thai driver destroyed my life, so not funny for me.

I would like to ask a few on here that reach for the T bashing badge what they think of this and the damage it does to others

Here we have a guy who has been trough it and lived but left to suffer.

Steroids do funny things to some people turn them into non believers of fact and believers of Propaganda.

19 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

They are like sheep Col I have seen one go through a red light and the rest will follow  Even the cops follow lol  Its me first attitude stuff the rules

Several times i was waiting for a red stoplight while the cars behind me starting horning to move on....it seems that we have to ignore that stoplight totally, i know it now. That situation is on several places in bkk.

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maybe funny for you, but a crazy Thai driver destroyed my life, so not funny for me.

yeah sorry mate  The idiots have no patience and just do what they like on the roads No cops to stop them

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Several times i was waiting for a red stoplight while the cars behind me starting horning to move on....it seems that we have to ignore that stoplight totally, i know it now. That situation is on several places in bkk.

Yep what is the old saying "When in Rome do as the the Romans do" Here red lights are just decorations on  a post

12 hours ago, outre99 said:

As a driver of both a car and a bike in Bkk I'd like to offer a different take on this.  Although i don't deny that the general driving skills in Thailand are deplorable this does not absolve the idiotic traffic pattern design.   I estimate that 20% of all traffic woes are caused by poor driving skills and another 20% by poorly designed and enforced traffic patterns.  In this particular case it make all the sense in the world to have u turns in both directions under the elevated overpass.  Instead, the traffic planners i their infinite wisdom are trying to push the u-turn for the lanes on the left of the video 150 meters further up into the bumper to bumper traffic. It is absolutely understandable that drivers want to avoid that and to logically make a u-turn where there's less oncoming traffic to merge into.  There's clearly enough space to allow u-turns in both directions.  So the question here should be why isn't it so.

Those stupid U turns for a start

If this is their example of "appalling driving habits" I don't know where these people been the rest of the year, we've already seen so much worse than "this".

As I've stated before, my first week in Thailand, or rather the first day, I really liked the concept of those U-turns where they where, then again that was exiting Swampy with next to no traffic in the zombie hours, but soon after I just rightly understood how detrimental those were and just how piss poor the road planning is. So much congestion is caused by these things it's not even funny anymore. Also learned to despise the hell out of these road islands _everywhere_ you can put them.

On 6/1/2017 at 10:34 AM, ben2talk said:

Right - do we know the job of the 'BiB'? 

Maybe instead of denying these people the right to do a U-turn with the placement of those concrete walls, they could make it a double U-turn... 

Damn right it's about a lack of patience - who is the idiot who decides where to put up these black/white concrete walls to deny traffic the opportunity to do a quick U_turn here, instead forcing them to go on and further block up the junction ahead?

We cannot ascribe any authority to the 'BiB' or any other 'police' agencies out there... they're not 'police' in the sense that we have previously learned.

Last night, travelling near Ikea, I was following a 'Police' bike - red lights flashing, along the middle of the left-side lane on the road at around 40km/h. A car pulled out from Ikea and made a right turn without bothering to cross the road first, the car drove towards us in the centre almost hitting the 'Police' bike. 

The 'Action' taken by the 'Policeman' was to stare at the driver whilst taking evasive action.

So before you start shouting 'Do your damn job' you must find out who employs these buffoons, who tells them what to do, and (unless, as I suspect, the real job is rather a secret mission to serve the elite and not provide any transparency whatsoever) then admit that there's no real intention to do any 'policing' beyond the childish games they play.

Have you look at the video? The U-turn is only design, constructed for 1 side of the road not for the other. If it is build as so, then it should be used as so. Unless this Article is about making it into a Double U-turn then lets go there, but it is not. 

You can probably take your suggestion up with the Land Transport Authority of Thailand.

There is no excuse to use it as a double U-Turn just becos some Idiot didn't plan and constructed it so. It slows up traffic and endangers others on the road. Besides there already is a another U-turn close down the road. 

It is just pure Laziness and lack of respect for the laws and selfishness for other road users and it is up to the BIB to enforce these laws to make sure they use the right U-turn, not make excuses.

Whoever employ these buffoons? OK Whoever employ these buffoons do your DAMN JOB and make sure THE BIB BUFFOONS DO THEIR damn JOBS!

38 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Have you look at the video? The U-turn is only design, constructed for 1 side of the road not for the other. If it is build as so, then it should be used as so. Unless this Article is about making it into a Double U-turn then lets go there, but it is not. 

You can probably take your suggestion up with the Land Transport Authority of Thailand.

There is no excuse to use it as a double U-Turn just becos some Idiot didn't plan and constructed it so. It slows up traffic and endangers others on the road. Besides there already is a another U-turn close down the road. 

It is just pure Laziness and lack of respect for the laws and selfishness for other road users and it is up to the BIB to enforce these laws to make sure they use the right U-turn, not make excuses.

Whoever employ these buffoons? OK Whoever employ these buffoons do your DAMN JOB and make sure THE BIB BUFFOONS DO THEIR damn JOBS!

Yes, I did look at the video. I see no U-turn up ahead. There may be one, and it may be blocked. I can't say I'd try this in a car, but I'd do it on my scooter no sweat... you're not in England now.

I do see lots of concrete shutting off tarmac that could legitimately be brought in as a U-turn - a double U turn would work well here. 

You say 'BiB do your job'! Well that's what they do. They put cones and go off to catch some bikes as they stop outside a 7-11. This 'U-turn' is NOT designed or constructed or built.

It's like watching kids playing, the BiB build their little sand walls to control the flow of water - then wonder why the water takes short cuts when they get blocked and messed up.

There's no structure - they have no traffic police. You can't get caught out doing this unless the police stand there - then you won't do it.

So tell me again, what job do you think they will do?

It's obvious they won't be making a list of all the cars doing their U-turn here and sending them penalty tickets in the post isn't it? Maybe they're busy watching Thai boxing on their TV in the traffic box.

Get over it. Believe me, if they ever do start focussing their tiny brains more on stuff like this it will only get to be a lot worse out there on the roads.

Normal behavior, by the selfish dangerous drivers / riders  of Thailand.

If i had my way,  when caught doing this type of thing, confiscate the vehicle , crush it

and give the driver / rider a free pair of flip flops. :thumbsup:

I think Thailand's driver and riders,  will only start to behave themselves on the roads if there is a major financial lost attached to there behavior,    dont bother banning them from driving or riding or small fines,   just remove his or hers vehicle,  no  if's or buts

Money is Number one in Thailand.. :jap: