Current flood situation not worrying – says deputy agriculture minister

webfact

Current flood situation not worrying – says deputy agriculture minister

0106003.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Agriculture Ministry is confident that the current flooding situation in several northern and central provinces is not worrying and will not lead to massive flooding in Bangkok like in 2011.

This was assured by Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Ms Chutima Bunyaprapatsorn yesterday.

She said the water situation in the main Chao Phraya River is normal as the water level remains below its banks.

She said although low-lying areas in four provinces of Sukhothai, Suphanburi, Lopburi and Saraburi are flooded, the Royal Irrigation Department disclosed that major dams across the country can take in more 34 billion cubic metres or about 45 per cent of the dams’ total capacity as currently they hold 41 billion cubic metres of water.

This assured the current situation is not worrying and it will not cause a massive flood in the capital as it occurred in 2011.

Meanwhile in Suphanburi, the water level in the Thachin River has risen and overflowed into farmlands in four districts, including the provincial seat.

So far, about 5,000 rai of paddy fields are submerged while farmers are speeding up to pump water out to save their crops.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/current-flood-situation-not-worrying-says-deputy-agriculture-minister/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-06-01

I hope they are more honest than the last ones in power. They lied and cause massive damage by doing so. But this time I will be monitoring the levels of the dams myself. 

All the predictions are a bit early.. especially as we are at the start of the rain season. But he is right the dams have a lot of capacity still. As long as they release water when it is needed then most people will be ok. (can't exclude floods completely)

"The Agriculture Ministry is confident that the current flooding situation in several northern and central provinces is not worrying..."

It is to those people whose houses are already flooded!  There's about 67 million people living in Thailand.  Perhaps the deputy agriculture minister needs to look further than the end of his nose.

6 hours ago, Moti24 said:

"The Agriculture Ministry is confident that the current flooding situation in several northern and central provinces is not worrying..."

It is to those people whose houses are already flooded!  There's about 67 million people living in Thailand.  Perhaps the deputy agriculture minister needs to look further than the end of his nose.

That's why Thai houses are traditionally second floor only because of FLOODING.

But then some smart Farang come along and said why worry? ?

Just like in most countries, there are peope who build their houses in flood areas and each year they get flooded.

I see it n Canada, USA and other countries, so I am not surprised to see this happen In Thailand as well.  Just build

Thai upcountry style bottom level open and house on the next 1 or 2 levels. Flood proof for at least 2.5 to 3 meters.

Geezer