NRSA to conclude case against King Power Duty Free

webfact

NRSA to conclude case against King Power Duty Free

PNPOL600531001003201.jpg

BANGKOK, 1st June 2017 (NNT) - The National Reform Steering Assembly is preparing to conclude and submit to the Prime Minister a report related to alleged irregularities surrounding the duty-free concessions operation of the King Power group. 

The NRSA subcommittee on anti-corruption, which is chaired by Admiral Pajun Tamprateep, has invited officials from the Customs Department and the Airports of Thailand to present their cases about alleged corruption at Don Mueang Airport and Suvarnabhumi Airport. 

The committee was specifically interested in the management of retail space at the main Bangkok airport by King Power, which is the sole duty-free concessionaire at both airports, following reports of the company’s violation of the Act on Private Investments in State Undertakings. 

Deputy chairman of the subcommittee, Charnchai Issarasenarak said today that the conclusion drawn from the investigation stated that wrongdoing took place even before the contract with King Power was signed, involving false reports from both state officials and King Power. 

Mr. Charnchai said that the subcommittee now awaits more details from the Airports of Thailand before wrapping up a report, which will accordingly be submitted to the Prime Minister to consider the termination of the concession granted to King Power and legal action to be taken against the state officials involved, as the government has lost revenue in excess of 20 billion baht.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-06-01

15 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Their shops are maybe "duty free" but how come I can buy similar products they sell cheaper in a normal shop downtown?

15 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Their shops are maybe "duty free" but how come I can buy similar products they sell cheaper in a normal shop downtown?

The answer is within this thread.

King Power has been quietly pushing up prices for commonly purchased duty-free items for about 4 years.  A 750ml bottle of JWB used to be less than 1,000 baht: now it's 1,450.  They can get away with it because they have no competition.  Same bottle in Hong Kong is US$33, in Taipei it's US$28 and I got two bottles of JW Double Black in Hanoi a couple of weeks ago for US$66.  They fleece the Thai public because everyone believes duty-free must be a good deal, but Suvarnabhumi is now one of the most expensive places in the region to buy tax-free grog.  They need to feel a bit of heat.

Same as duty free in Melbourne airport. Prolly the same the world over. Let's face it, rentals in these buildings must be huge.

5 hours ago, KamnanT said:

King Power has been quietly pushing up prices for commonly purchased duty-free items for about 4 years.  A 750ml bottle of JWB used to be less than 1,000 baht: now it's 1,450.  They can get away with it because they have no competition.  Same bottle in Hong Kong is US$33, in Taipei it's US$28 and I got two bottles of JW Double Black in Hanoi a couple of weeks ago for US$66.  They fleece the Thai public because everyone believes duty-free must be a good deal, but Suvarnabhumi is now one of the most expensive places in the region to buy tax-free grog.  They need to feel a bit of heat.

My local supermarket is cheaper than the airport duty free, particularly booze.

Duty free shops are "sucker shops", here, there and everywhere.  It is a perception, not a sale opportunity if one is a wise shopper. 

Personally, I buy whatever I want to transport before going to the airport. 

Let other suckers be their captive audience. 

Run by the 7th richest man in Thailand worth $4.7 billion (2017) Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha. In 2007 had the same problem but got over the hurdles. 

Shortly before the 2016-2017 Premier League season Vichai gifted 19 BMW i8s to the players of Leicester City at £100,000 each. Knows how to play the game.

Began in 1989, business had previously been managed by the Tourism Authority of Thailand. Vic was the co-founder of the business, but can't see how he got into bed with and then out of it with the Tourism Authority.

42 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I have boycotted King power since I seen its first store. My theory Is that it is financed by one of  the past Thailand leaders

and I do not want to give him a dime of my money.

Geezer

You say that Starie, but the guy has been in business since 1989? 

In 2013, King Bhumibol Adulyadej bestowed Vichai’s family with a new surname, Srivaddhanaprabha, meaning “light of progressive glory.”

The business grew steadily over the years, eventually achieving monopoly control over Thailand’s highly trafficked international airports. The empire even survived an attempt in 2008 by the post-coup government to revoke King Power’s licenses, which officials alleged had been granted improperly. King Power countersued and prevailed.

He does business on both sides of the fence and knows how to grease the wheels. 

Prices may be over the top, but when you are leaving Thailand its the last place to shop. I got caught in Sydney Airport, thinking I was getting a good deal, but saw it in Pattaya shop cheaper. There all doing the same thing all over the world. Just need to shop the prices better.