Merits of multi-grade motor oil in T'land

jobin

Toyota recommend and put in, unless told first Semi Syn:. They also like some have said say change at 10th km. Including filter.

They also recommend that if you do high speed runs 'I assume by that a fare bit of motor way driving' you change Semi Syn: at 5th km. Before anyone says I'm talking out of my Butt. It's in the book.

Just to be on the safe side I always change at 5th km or less. Cost is around 1.5th BT inc: Peanuts so why not. While they are at it they check the hole lump over, and grease the prop: You do have to ask for the prop to be done as it doesn't seem to be on any of their service sheets. N/B should be greased at 10th km as well. Less if you go through lots of water.

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Agree oils are good but a bit of a sales hype these days IMO,  l get 1 litre Castrol Active 20w40 for 140 bht for my bike oil changes,  which seems an OK price. 

Much hype and BS marketing re: oil. Do you drive an F1 car ? Dinosaur oil and filter every 5K. Cheap, effective, all that is required for cars and pickups. I use full Syn in my bikes, but only buying a litre more or less so no problem. Buying 1500 baht oil for a Vios, or a Vigo -  hook, line and sinker.

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Semi Synthetic is a waste of money. It is neither fish nor fowl. OK if it is the same price but better to buy Synthetic or just oil.

Agreed. Semi-synthetic contains approximately 80% dino oil.  Furthermore, you guys are only looking at the grade/viscosity and not at the actual specification of the oil which is shown by the API-ACEA-JASO-ILSAC rating which is the most important thing to consider when buying oil.   If you select a lower rating than is advised for the engine, it will not offer the correct protection.

Again, read all about it here: http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Much hype and BS marketing re: oil. Do you drive an F1 car ? Dinosaur oil and filter every 5K. Cheap, effective, all that is required for cars and pickups. I use full Syn in my bikes, but only buying a litre more or less so no problem. Buying 1500 baht oil for a Vios, or a Vigo -  hook, line and sinker.

Sorry not sure what your getting at l was told to buy Motul oil @ 380 baht a litre told them sort of no thanks.  :smile:

"and grease the prop: You do have to ask for the prop to be done as it doesn't seem to be on any of their service sheets. N/B should be greased at 10th km as well. Less if you go through lots of water."

Not sure what  you  greasing Fred.  Can you explain more on this.  And what is the N/B?  Sounds like you are driving a boat with a propeller, hardly an airplane, but probably a car.