Is Social Security useful?

Hi, 

Anyone ever use Social Security service as a foreigner? As I can opt out or in (I'm a director), I'd like to know the actual benefit of SSO. My private insurance doesn't cover out patient service, so I pay full amount every time I go to Bumrungrad or others. Have you guys every go to the government hospital for a regular checkup? such as ultrasound or flu or anything else. 

Please let me know if it's worthy to apply it or not,

many thanks! 

• Like 1

Yes, it's a nice system. Never had to pay when i go to the choosen hospital  in my province or when i visit a clinic which participate into this program for little helth problems 

Of course, regular check up are not included into the program, you have to paid except if the doctor ask for them. Every 6 monthes i have a blood check, i ever make ultra sound or a scanner, but for the last one have to wait a  week, if i remember. After, it's depend where you are. BKK or major cities people have much more choice  than countryside like me.

"Yes it is very helpful since it will be used in transacting business and personal matters."

What kind of business or personal matters?  Thanks.

After you've been in the system for a year, if you become ineligible for soc security through work you can pay 432 baht a month on your own and keep the health benefits.

They cover pre-existing health issues.

There is a retirement plan within soc sec.

Keep it at all costs. After I quit my job I went to the SS dept and started paying it on my own.

I had surgery...for a hernia. All costs covered.

I needed medicine 9000 bht a month. for over a year... All costs covered.

Keep paying it and you will be covered as long as you pay.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, inventorinthailand said:

I paid the social for 11 years as Director, and never used it. Almost 200,000 baht in total i think. Can I still get any advantages from it, even though I have stopped working do you think?

Yes read the SSO link above.

To be clear - you must not only earn a Thai income and pay Thai-taxes, but also be an "employee" of a Thai company to get into this program, correct?   This as contrasted to being a non-employee (no work permit) co-owner of a company.

• Like 1

easy one. 

I always have had private cover (Thai) even when I had to pay the silly Social Security thing...

and wait 3 months to even get the useless card from the ajarnite. and most of the big schools have an arrangement with a clinic or even a local hospital anyways.... and didn't even ask for my SS card when I did have a serious accident.

but if you need some real hospital care.... ISO stuff.... private insurance, Thai issues. and there's only one. the stats are on the official Thai govt Insurance website.

Edited by maewang99

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

if this social security limits you to the public hospitals, and you have the means to go to the private ones, then i cant see much use of it

According to a Thai I spoke with, if you go to a private-hospital, you get reimbursed for what the public-hospital would have charged for the same procedure. 

41 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

According to a Thai I spoke with, if you go to a private-hospital, you get reimbursed for what the public-hospital would have charged for the same procedure. 

Never heard of that before and dount that is true. You must ude the hospital assigned to you and that hospital can refer you to another hospital/doctor, in which case you are covered.

In case of a life threathening situation you can use any hospital. With a broken arm you can visit your designated hospital but they don't expect that when you are having a hearth attack.  Not sure what the policy is regarding serious accidents, I use my wife government employees coverage so can use any government hospital.

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

if this social security limits you to the public hospitals, and you have the means to go to the private ones, then i cant see much use of it

A government hospital doesn't mean less quality per definition. Although some private hospitals definitely have better equipment, that isn't the only factor. You will see many doctors working at a government hospital also working in private practice or one of the big private hospitals. It is the doctor that can make all the difference, not the hospital itself.

• Like 1

This is the list of the hospital 2017, and I live near Ekkamai and Thonglor. Any suggestions of the hospitals? 

Private

Kluaynamthai Hospital
kasemrad Bangkae
kasemrad Prachachuen
Karunvej Sukhaphiban 3 Hospital
Hospital Navamin 
Hospital Navamin 9
Bangna 1 General Hospital 
bangpakok 8 Hospital 
Bangphai Hospital 
Bangmod Hospital
 B.Care Medical Center Hospital
prachapat Hospital
Paolo Memorial Hospital, Chokchai 4
Rama 2 Hospital
Petkasem 2 hospital
petcharavej hospital
phaetpanya hospital
mahaesak hospital
mongkutwattana 
mission hospital
yanhee hospital
rajburana hospital
ladprao hospital
vibharam hospital
sikarin hospital
saimai hospital
suksawat hospital

hua chiew hospital

Government

The Faculty of Medicine Vajira Hospital 
klang hospital
chulalongkorn hospital
Charoenkrung Pracharak Hospital
taksin hospital
police hospital
Nopparatani Hospital
Phramongkutklao Hospital
Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital
Rajavithi Hospital
Ramathibodi Hospital
Rachapiphat hospital
 Lerdsin Hospital
wetchakarunrasm Hospital
Siriraj Hospital
pinklao Hospital
sirindhorn hospital
Taveesak hospital

• 6 months later...
On 6/2/2017 at 9:37 AM, TerryLH said:

"Yes it is very helpful since it will be used in transacting business and personal matters."

What kind of business or personal matters?  Thanks.

After you've been in the system for a year, if you become ineligible for soc security through work you can pay 432 baht a month on your own and keep the health benefits.

They cover pre-existing health issues.

There is a retirement plan within soc sec.

Is it the same price for a Thai who does not work ? How much to pay monthly ?

Thank you.

On 6/1/2017 at 1:50 PM, rnalswls2 said:

Anyone ever use Social Security service as a foreigner? As I can opt out or in (I'm a director), I'd like to know the actual benefit of SSO. My private insurance doesn't cover out patient service, so I pay full amount every time I go to Bumrungrad or others. Have you guys every go to the government hospital for a regular checkup? such as ultrasound or flu or anything else. 

It doesn't cover preventative medicine, so no free check ups. But it does cover illness and accident.

Payment is around 500bht/month (cheaper if you start young, more if you start old) but once in you can keep up the payments for live no matter what your employment status.

It isn't government hospital, or private hospital but an intermediate level of hospital, you get to choose from a list.

Some government and private hospitals participate, your choice from the list.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

It doesn't cover preventative medicine, so no free check ups. But it does cover illness and accident.

Payment is around 500bht/month (cheaper if you start young, more if you start old) but once in you can keep up the payments for live no matter what your employment status.

It isn't government hospital, or private hospital but an intermediate level of hospital, you get to choose from a list.

Some government and private hospitals participate, your choice from the list.

But anybody can use it ? Even someone who never worked in Thailand ?