Expats in Phetchabun

AKJeff

Hi, 

I just joined Thai Visa.   I am looking into buy a place in Phetchabun.   I am wondering if there is a place to meet expats and talk with them about the area.   I have looked on the forum and can't find a current version of this topic so I am sorry if it is a repeat.   I am posting here but can't really tell if it belongs here or Issan.   My girlfriend says that Phetchabun is not Issan so I will try here.  

1 hour ago, AKJeff said:

I am sorry, but isn't this the Central Thailand form?

Apologies l could of sworn you posted in General forum.

Not much goes on here,  l got this back through notification,  maybe General forum would be worth a try.

The question you pose is really something to work out yourself IMHO especially if you have decided to buy which would mean you intend to stay in that area.

I guess you do know you can buy a place but it will need a legal lease drawn up for the land you cannot own that as a alien.

The opinion of others are so diverse also conflicting from others,  l don't personally see talking to others helps that much.

Traveling around your area and visiting places l see as the best way to make up ones own mind.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to try Phetchabun City. There is a condominium that I am told is the only one in town, that I am looking at. I am not one that wants the big city but finding a condo outside of the touristy places is not that easy. If I like the area I might try to find a lease hold on a house in the future but for now the condo will do. I will give the toffyhome bar a try. I have past by it in the car but I will stop in for a drink. I have seen a few foreigners at Lotus but they have been with family and I did not want to interrupt their day. Mainly just want to see what people think of the area and why they chose to live here so I can make an intelligent decision for myself.

Your Girlfriend is right. Phetchabun is not part of the Isaan. Buy yourself a map of Thailand, so you will know where you are and where your future investment will be located.

- As an intelligent man, you will rent an appartement for 6 months, before you buy anything at all.

Rural Thailand can be very boring for a Farang and the occasinal "meetings" with the few fellow Farangs in the area will not cure the "boredom-factor", that can become overwhelming. Hearing the same Farang-Stories for the 5th time, do not make them more fascinating.

- If your future "domicile" (with investment) should be on "Family-Land" of Girl-Friend, just forget it!

Give yourself time to learn about "Thai-Ways" and get familiar with "Thai-Lagalities" as far as "Real-Estate" and "Property -Ownership" is concerned. You will soon find out, that things are very different compared to your home-country as far as "property-rights" are concerned.

As you declare yourself as a "newbie", go with the "6 momth rental-situation", as I have suggested. If your GF sould insist on "quick-action" as far as your future "Investments" in Thailand are concerned, just tell her that you need some more time to evaluate the Thai-Situation.

By making a "runner" under these circumstances, you would save yourself a lot of grief in the future.
But then, as long as Testosterone rules a man's life, reason, logical thinking will take a back seat. Women know this!
Good luck and cheers.

• 3 months later...