Xiaomi MI6, Mi5s, or Huawei P9?

I've never ordered a phone from abroad but considering the Xiaomi MI6, Mi5s. The local competition seems to be Asus zenfone 3 and Huawei P9. Anyone have any ideas on these? Is there likely to be an import duty for Chinese phones?

My wife has a Xiaomi Mi5. It replaced a Samsung S5. When the S5 came back from repair she wanted nothing to do with it. She says the Xiaomi camera is better, the phone is faster, battery life is better and the phone speaker is MUCH better. She normally uses the speaker phone. The only thing she didn't like about the Xiaomi was the launcher. I downloaded the Google now launcher from Playstore and now she says it is perfect.

I went through this review process at the start of the year and opted for the Huawei P9 - six months on I'm very happy with my choice; it's an excellent phone.

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I have a Xiaomi and it's a good phone. However when I had problems with it recently I found few people who could service it locally.

For that reason I would suggest the Huawei  

Good point, Huawei have service centres in all major Thai cities. I've not needed one but I know there is one here in Hat Yai.

2 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Recommend the Xiaomi phones, had a note 3, 4 MI Max and currently got a Redmi Pro, battery lasts all day no problem at all.

Since the upgrade to Android 7, I can get two days out of the battery on the Huawei P9.

Xiaomi user, highly recommended. Make sure you get it shipped with the Global ROM, not the Chinese ROM
Excellent value device

Actually the Chinese ones are the best because that means mostly they are rooted. When I had my note 3/4 mi max they all had global ROMs and I could not root the phone but the Redmi pro came with xiaomi.eu ROM which is the developer version of the global and it was rooted with TWRP installed.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems there is now support for Xiaomi phones in Thailand through i-Mobile. The Xiaomi website records their partnership, but there doesn't seem to be anything on i-Mobile's site or FB page (maybe their cracked version of Dreamweaver stopped working meaning they can't update their website?).

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2017 at 7:42 PM, JaseTheBass said:

It seems there is now support for Xiaomi phones in Thailand through i-Mobile. The Xiaomi website records their partnership, but there doesn't seem to be anything on i-Mobile's site or FB page (maybe their cracked version of Dreamweaver stopped working meaning they can't update their website?).

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

That reminds me of years ago, the bkk skytrain monitors  got a glitch and a Microsoft  message popped up about fake software... Lol

I wonder if they have upgraded yet.... 

I have been long with Samsung. I still have a Samsung Note 5 and an Iphone 6 plus (need 2 phones).
I saw last week in Huawei shop the last P10 plus. Nice and interesting, especially the camera. I am considering to go for it (will replace my iphone).
However, reading some reviews on the net, i don't see much good comments and especially repetitive comment about software issues.
Do you have any comment on that as Huawei user? Also comparing to Samsung.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I have been long with Samsung. I still have a Samsung Note 5 and an Iphone 6 plus (need 2 phones).
I saw last week in Huawei shop the last P10 plus. Nice and interesting, especially the camera. I am considering to go for it (will replace my iphone).
However, reading some reviews on the net, i don't see much good comments and especially repetitive comment about software issues.

Thanks

Sorry, messed up my post. Was addressed to WorriedNoodle (or anyone experienced with Huawei phones)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, jphasia said:

Thanks

I have a Huawei Media Pad M3. I didn't like the user interface and launcher. I am now using the Apex launcher and it works very well. It gives you all sorts of options. It can lock the desktop so you don't accidentally move anything and I can hide the apps that I seldom use.  It can also edit the icons. I use Gmail and had Hotmail on the program they call email. I edited that icon and named it Hotmail. It's a great free launcher. Maybe people who don't know the launcher can be changed complain. I am seriously impressed with the tablet. My wife is still happy with her Xiaomi M5. I also changed that launcher. She likes the Google launcher and loves the phone.

3 hours ago, jphasia said:

Thanks Gary for the feedback. Good to know. I will probably give a try to the P10 plus

Have a look at the mate 9 pro

Its another great phone from huawei 

About the same price as the p10 plus

Maybe slightly less

On 23/07/2017 at 9:12 AM, jphasia said:

I have a Huawei P9, the wife has a Huawei GR5 (2017) and a Huawei Media Pad, we were both Samsung users previously.  Yes before I bought my phone  I too read all those comments about how bad the Huawei EMUI OS is but it's not really true, just a little nit picking. Yes it's a bit different, though not much, yes EMUI 4.0 didn't have an app drawer, rather you used folders to file things. But EMUI 5 has changed that and it's no longer an issue, though it never really was as as suggested above you just download a different launcher. After nine months with the P9 I'm a Huawei convert and wouldn't go back to Samsung again.  

8 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I have a Huawei P9, the wife has a Huawei GR5 (2017) and a Huawei Media Pad, we were both Samsung users previously.  Yes before I bought my phone  I too read all those comments about how bad the Huawei EMUI OS is but it's not really true, just a little nit picking. Yes it's a bit different, though not much, yes EMUI 4.0 didn't have an app drawer, rather you used folders to file things. But EMUI 5 has changed that and it's no longer an issue, though it never really was as as suggested above you just download a different launcher. After nine months with the P9 I'm a Huawei convert and wouldn't go back to Samsung again.  

My MediaPad sent me a notice that there was an upgrade available. I accepted and it was a huge download. I now have Android 7. Android 7 is a bit different and I think I liked Android 6 better. I guess I'll get used to Android 7. I still use the Apex launcher. The upgrade was flawless and everything on the tablet stayed the same, nothing lost and nothing added.

My MediaPad sent me a notice that there was an upgrade available. I accepted and it was a huge download. I now have Android 7. Android 7 is a bit different and I think I liked Android 6 better. I guess I'll get used to Android 7. I still use the Apex launcher. The upgrade was flawless and everything on the tablet stayed the same, nothing lost and nothing added.

I have been using Android 7 for quite some time now on my Samsung Note 5.

The upgrade to Android 7 for my P9, beyond the switch from EMUI 4 to 5, marked a significant improvement in my battery life. I can now regularly manage 2 days between charging.

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2017 at 11:44 AM, 2008bangkok said:

One thing I do now though is get a decent cover and also a full screen tempered glass who h covers the whole front face

This is what I should do too, so many posts of broken xiaomi screens everywhere...

Can you show me what kind of cover you bought ?

thanks.

Archived