Hanging wires - Bangkok authorities announce beautification plans on five major roads

webfact

Hanging wires - Bangkok authorities announce beautification plans on five major roads

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- Authorities in Bangkok have announced plans to take down poles and bury cables on five major thoroughfares in the capital.

A deputy secretary of operations at the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission said it was a joint operation with the electrical generating authority.

Korkit Danchaiwijit said that burying the cables will beautify the city and make it safer for the public.

The schedule is as follows:

1. Sri Ayuthaya Road: Work has already begun and will be finished by the 16th of this month.

2. Yothee Road: work to begin on June 17th and finished by 25th.

3. Petchburi Road: Work to be finished by 15th July.

4. Ratchaprarop Road: work to commence on August 18th.

5. Rama 1 Road: Work to start in November.

In the initial phase poles will be broken up and unused cables will be taken out before the remaining wires are buried underground.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-06

5 hours ago, trogers said:

"... remaining wires are buried underground".

Meaning wires not designed to be waterlogged will be placed under water. And the consequence?

The wires which are currently suspended in the air and subject to the monsoon rains are waterproof, as are the junction boxes. These can be submerged below ground without problem. They will be installed in ducts anyway. The electrical cables will have to be replaced and uprated as there is no air cooling below ground.

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

The wires which are currently suspended in the air and subject to the monsoon rains are waterproof, as are the junction boxes. These can be submerged below ground without problem. They will be installed in ducts anyway. The electrical cables will have to be replaced and uprated as there is no air cooling below ground.

But will they close the doors on all the junction boxes before burying them?   :sleep:   Many I see on the streets are left open and in any event would certainly not be completely water-proof if submerged.

What will happen when a new electrical, telephone or internet cable needs to be added in future?  Will they dig up the road and subsequently restore it to its original condition?   Or will each of the authorities merely blame each other for the damage?

If all goes to plan, of course it will represent a major improvement................but....but...    I fear that a few "electricians" will lose their lives in this exercise, as they attempt to sort out all the existing live and dead cables.

8 hours ago, Estrada said:

Actually no. Aerial cable and buried cable are completely different types of cable. Cable buried in the ground is generally filled with a gel or pressurized. Aerial cable is not.

It might make the roads look a little better, but just think of the chaos when they need to be dug up and repaired. Back in the UK the village where my house is has been virtually cut off for nearly 4 months due to road works by the electric company trying to find a fault. The fault has never affected the supply to the house, so what it was I don't know.

Now I find out something else will cause road works all through the kids summer holiday period.

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, trogers said:

"... remaining wires are buried underground".

Meaning wires not designed to be waterlogged will be placed under water. And the consequence?

They have been in heavy rains for years.

Edited by FritsSikkink

I used to live in a low-lying town by San Francisco Bay (Alameda).  During the winter rains we lost power or phone (land line) signals fairly frequently. 

I predict that the problem will be much worse in Bangkok!  Wires and boxes that are rain resistant may very well have problems keeping out standing flood water.