Driver License on Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV)

bbarrow13

Hey everyone, 

I just moved to Chiang Mai and learned the hard way (400 baht later) that my international driver license is only valid for cars and not motorcycles. I am here under the 6 month METV and wanted to know if it is possible to get a Thai drivers license with this visa. From my research, I've seen a lot of forums stating that you need to have a non-immigrant visa in order to get the license, or "you should be able to get a driver license with a tourist visa" but that doesn't seem 100% certain. 

Does anyone have any experience with this and/or any useful input? Let me know.

Cheers,

Brian

Just now, DonDoRondo said:

I go through several of the checkpoints  on a scooter each day and waive my International License at them.  Barely slow down and they always let me pass.

A pizza to go with no anchovies?  You've got the wrong man.  I spell my name DANGER.

You will find that none of them can read English and some have trouble with Thai so any document should do.

Before I got my Thai License, I showed my expired International Drivers Permit once and it was accepted. Keep in mind though, the government recently announced that they will start impounding the motorbikes of people who aren't properly licensed. 

No such thing as an 'International Driving License' it is an International Driving PERMIT and is issue to accompany your normal full license for translation. The IDP has no legal standing anywhere.

Get a certified translation of your home driving license and then apply for a Thai license, makes life very easy as they, the licencing office, love translations.

A bit confused,  your International permit you said was for a car and motorbike what were you driving or riding a horse?  so why the fine? 

I disagree, with the International standing a bit?  a long time ago before I got my Thai license, I was stopped here in Pattaya, in a police check point, there was a Thai and a Tourist police together who ask for my documents. The Tourist police said if I live here I should obtain a Thai license, because " the Permit doesn't allow you to travel on any other road except Sukhumvit. 

I told him and the Thai official in English and Thai, that Thailand, is part of the International community and has sign on to this particular program it is no different if they have sign on being part of the United Nations.  The International rules of driving apply, so where he got this information was totally incorrect. It is impossible to be issue a International permit that allows only the driver to drive on certain roads. 

I requested the two to allow me to speak to their commander, he handed the permit back to me and told me to go. I later ran into the Tourist police at a Expat meeting and gave him my 2 cents in front of the members.

As for Pattaya, if you have a foreign license and a International permit, get a health check certificate, a residential letter from Immigration you can by pass the written and driving test, that is my experience.

23 hours ago, Flustered said:

You will find that none of them can read English and some have trouble with Thai so any document should do.

There are so many countries with different formats.

So they don't bother or can't read English.

Then what's the point of applying for a Thai license?

As BTB1977 said.

I just got my IDF in my home country. I was told that if I had a motorcycle endorsement on my state driver's license [Colorado USA] that the IDF would reflect that, and it did.

On the very first inside page : 'vehicles for which the permit is valid:'

Options A [motorcycle] and B [passenger cars] both show the AAA endorsement logo.

The  front cover shows that is valid for one year. Cost was $20.

Upon return to Thailand next month I will obtain both Thai driver's license and motorcycle license.

A hassle but less so than arguing with an RTP officer beside the road some night while taking some nice lady home with me. {:P

I HAVE BEEN TOLD :shock1: that one can get a Thai driver's or motorcycle license if you have a valid driver's license from your home country regardless of visa status and that an IDF helps in renting a car. Free advice, worth what you paid for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @bbarrow13 did you managed to get your DL with the tourist visa that you have ?

Today a got my residency and medical certificates in Koh Samui. I did not ask if it's a problem that I only have a Single Entry Tourist Visa and not a Non-Resident Visa but I clearly stated that those certificates are for applying for a motorbike driving licence.

I will find out in the following days if there is a problem or not in applying with a Non-Resident Visa like many forums are mentioning. 

Best,

Elvis

When I picked up my IDL at AAA in the USA, they just asked me if I wanted the motorcycle endorsement on it even though I did not have it on my regular license. That was a few years ago. I said yes and the IDL worked fine in LOS for scooter rental and the fund raising traffic check points.