HSBC in UK don't like me living in Thailand?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No-one has had their HSBC account closed because they are no longer resident in the UK (statement based on 4 pages of replies and my own experience). That should answer your question OP!

I'm prepared to jump through whatever ID requirement hoops they want to carry on my UK bank accounts. The bulk of my financial transactions are still in the UK and I still pay a reasonable amount of UK tax , notwithstanding that I am non-resident for UK tax purposes.

Maybe things will change (much more likely had Corbyn been able to form a coalition, but presumably the UDP don't like him much either).

If every Brit living abroad was encouraged to withdraw their financial wealth from the UK - which a withdrawal of banking capability in the UK would probably drive in that direction - there would be an outcry form the powerful City lobby. Not gonna happen IMO but never say never in the current topsy turvy world.

Another election generates a further bucket load of insecurity. Trigger another bull stock market run? [a la Brexit and Trump]. The world has gone crazy:smile:

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:09 PM, bazza73 said:

For some reason, you have to maintain a residential address in Australia. Simple enough for me, I just use my son's.

One of the less intelligent features of Australian banking is sending an SMS to one's mobile for some transactions, for verification purposes. Hello. I've told you I'm in Thailand. Australian SMS's don't come to Thai SIM cards. What part of the word Thailand don't you understand?

Why is it less intelligent - it is a security feature that even Thai banks use?

My UK bank is similar except it uses an automated call rather than an SMS. Even the UK gov verify system now uses SMS and they managed eventually to get it to work with Thai nos. so not sure what the issue is with your Australian banks message provider................

On 07/06/2017 at 8:18 AM, vogie said:

Probably a good idea keeping an UK address, not going to hurt, but in my case I don't have one.

I don.t have a UK address eother, nor do I have any UK bank accounts or credit cards.

My pensions are paid direct to my bank in Thailand every month and HMRC knows about my income as they tax me every month. All the pension providers plus HMRC have my Thai address. email address and my mobile number.

I am even registered at my friends address in the UK for voting.