Good resource to find Univeristy Lecturing positions in Bangkok?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, manchega said:

show me the contract, I am not interested in part time etc. show me the contract

full time jobs require a contract as do part time

no excuses 

facts only please

Maybe one day you will secure university tenure and have some idea what it means. Good luck in your future career.

already have, thank you, hence the wish to see a contract that is not signed every year with repetitive blurb

I repeat mahidol is the only university I have heard of that provides tenure for non thai

yes we can have our professorships here, but still sign that contract every year

can you prove any different Sheungwang?

Usually with newcomers it should be a 2-year contract with the possibility of extension for 4 years (or 3 + 3)
If you do not meet all the requirements (such as publications, experience, etc.), you will not be employed at  university level. However, if the Faculty is still interested in you, it can offer a one-year contract with possible extensions. Fortunately, there is no obligation to accept it ????

On 2/26/2019 at 8:17 PM, Kyoshi said:

Usually with newcomers it should be a 2-year contract with the possibility of extension for 4 years (or 3 + 3)
If you do not meet all the requirements (such as publications, experience, etc.), you will not be employed at  university level. However, if the Faculty is still interested in you, it can offer a one-year contract with possible extensions. Fortunately, there is no obligation to accept it ????

usually ? where? show me the proof 

unless you are the prof at Mahidol 

what university offers you 2 years to start?

have worked at 4 different universities

all very similar contracts

chula was the only one that came close to a Thai industrial type salary with good housing allowance, medical etc. but far short of anything useful and again it was a yearly contract, no opportunity for advancement unless you switched to a Thai equivalent scheme in which you would be zeroed career wise and be pushed down to a 20 - 40k salary.

show me the proof

proves nothing, this is an advert, I want to see an actual contract someone is handed that does not require a new one being signed every year. this is not proof, you halfwit, this is why I left academia, little more than a cult for fukwits

as far as I know one university offers this

unless you are alien - non thai - and have actually got that contract with 3 years written on it I have no interest in your name or details so black that shit out

show me an image of that certificate.

no one on this forum has presented such as image

you are referring to job adverts but what about the truth

when you actually get there and sign do they say you are on a provisional basis for first 3 years and you have to sign contract every year

I get the adverts say one thing, but this is thailand, telling porkies is a national sport, the more outrageous the better

does anyone have such a contract and can they show the image of such stuff as you are repeating????

is there anything difficult about what I am asking you to produce

6 hours ago, manchega said:

proves nothing, this is an advert, I want to see an actual contract someone is handed that does not require a new one being signed every year. this is not proof, you halfwit, this is why I left academia, little more than a cult for fukwits

????

Let's sing along: You can't always get what you want????

Yes, I guess I could show you my contract, but instead I prefer to send you a smile ????

On 6/19/2017 at 7:14 PM, LolaS said:

Yes, please get in contact with foreigners from similar background on RG and than try those universities,

There is big myth circling around internet forums about CMX, but please also consult with other elder stuff, who are more than 60, and still work without problem in "air polluted" area, if they approve new programs to come back, please don't hesitate to apply for humanities, actually I think one foreigner work at department or division on tourism, one on philosophy and many more at languages departments, they recently get shortage of workers, becuase one employee didnt got a visa, he finsihed BCS and MA in english and literatre in UK, and than TESOL, but he cannot get visa because he hold Bangladesh pasport, it is part time possition and salary is 24 000 THB, but I think you should go for full time. TRY anyway, dont be scared of pollution, consult before with others workers of your age,

There's other points your all missing.

OHEC (the Thai education ministry office of higher education) has over the last 2 years issued numerous new regulations about university lecturers (Thai and foreign) making it harder and harder for lecturers to match the qualifications needed.

Just one more recent regulation, for positions where the lecturer must have a Ph.D, (Thai or foreigner) the holder must have long list of accredited and published research, at least several books published and many white papers published, plus the person must be able to provide 3 outstanding references from other accredited universities (can be anywhere in the world).

Plus universities are now not allowed to offer work permits to foreigners who don't fit this picture. So any work would be without WP, not a good scenario.  

In the last 12 months many foreigners who had worked for years as lecturers in Thai unis, with good / excellent reviews by students, have found themselves without work and little prospect of new employment.

Plus all Thai universities are seeing a big drop off in registrations in all faculties. Surveys indicate it will probably drop even further. Same thing is happening in many countries. 

On 2/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, manchega said:

already have, thank you, hence the wish to see a contract that is not signed every year with repetitive blurb

I repeat mahidol is the only university I have heard of that provides tenure for non thai

yes we can have our professorships here, but still sign that contract every year

can you prove any different Sheungwang?

Mahidol. Other unis have also done this.

But keep in mind that by law foreign lecturers cannot be employed on a full-time contract of employment, it's illegal.

They can be employed on a 12 month contract, renewable for another 12 months if both parties agree. And under the new regulations the lecturer will have to show some items of new valuable research and some accredited publications or the contract cannot be renewed.

Also meaning lecturers who just want a job and do no research (nothing wrong with that) won't get their contract of employment renewed and possibly now won't get a job in the first instance.  

Does all of that mean tenure? Well that's going to depends on how each uni interpretes the word 'tenure', and what boundaries exist from OHEC, and what does each lecturer want from 'tenure'.  

33 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Mahidol. Other unis have also done this.

But keep in mind that by law foreign lecturers cannot be employed on a full-time contract of employment, it's illegal.

They can be employed on a 12 month contract, renewable for another 12 months if both parties agree. And under the new regulations the lecturer will have to show some items of new valuable research and some accredited publications or the contract cannot be renewed.

Also meaning lecturers who just want a job and do no research (nothing wrong with that) won't get their contract of employment renewed and possibly now won't get a job in the first instance.  

Does all of that mean tenure? Well that's going to depends on how each uni interpretes the word 'tenure', and what boundaries exist from OHEC, and what does each lecturer want from 'tenure'.  

Brings back such fond memories of the 'Silver Book'.

On 3/1/2019 at 5:39 PM, Kyoshi said:

????

Let's sing along: You can't always get what you want????

Yes, I guess I could show you my contract, but instead I prefer to send you a smile ????

I don't particularly want to see your contract, I have my own thanks

My point here was to indicate that these positions are not 2-5 years nopr tenured, they are contracts that are signed yearly and the universities and can drop you at any time

at least I think that was my point.

1 hour ago, manchega said:

you are basically an english teacher are you not? I know its all a bit complex for you

I do recall once processing a particular application and the supporting statement said...     '(The person applying) does not have any mental health problems'.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 5:07 AM, scorecard said:

There's other points your all missing.

OHEC (the Thai education ministry office of higher education) has over the last 2 years issued numerous new regulations about university lecturers (Thai and foreign) making it harder and harder for lecturers to match the qualifications needed.

Just one more recent regulation, for positions where the lecturer must have a Ph.D, (Thai or foreigner) the holder must have long list of accredited and published research, at least several books published and many white papers published, plus the person must be able to provide 3 outstanding references from other accredited universities (can be anywhere in the world).

Plus universities are now not allowed to offer work permits to foreigners who don't fit this picture. So any work would be without WP, not a good scenario.  

In the last 12 months many foreigners who had worked for years as lecturers in Thai unis, with good / excellent reviews by students, have found themselves without work and little prospect of new employment.

Plus all Thai universities are seeing a big drop off in registrations in all faculties. Surveys indicate it will probably drop even further. Same thing is happening in many countries. 

you are mixing two different job positions and descriptions.

You dont need work permit if you are tenure track

On 3/2/2019 at 9:39 PM, scorecard said:

This is NOT correct!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, manchega said:

show me the contract, I am not interested in part time etc. show me the contract

full time jobs require a contract as do part time

no excuses 

facts only please

Mahidol, AIT, Chula, CMU, SUT, PSU, WU, MFU,... check by yourself.

44 minutes ago, LolaS said:

if you are on tenure foreigners can get longer than one year contract!!!

we are mixing part-time, adjunct position with regular one 

That all depends on the type of institution involved. And some simply don't offer tenure to foreign lecturers at all, and sometimes because their Thai professors strongly object. Been there done that!!!!!!!!!!! 

On 3/13/2019 at 8:31 PM, LolaS said:

Mahidol, AIT, Chula, CMU, SUT, PSU, WU, MFU,... check by yourself.

worked at at least 2 of those, some of them have never heard of so probably not in top 10 country university.

where is the contract indicating tenure position as opposed to signing a new one every year, which we did at chula

also what nonsense is this about tenure position and work permits

not needing work permit is one thing - but its assocation with tenure position

at what university do you find this lolas?

On 3/14/2019 at 12:55 AM, scorecard said:

That all depends on the type of institution involved. And some simply don't offer tenure to foreign lecturers at all, and sometimes because their Thai professors strongly object. Been there done that!!!!!!!!!!! 

we have different experience

3 hours ago, manchega said:

worked at at least 2 of those, some of them have never heard of so probably not in top 10 country university.

where is the contract indicating tenure position as opposed to signing a new one every year, which we did at chula

also what nonsense is this about tenure position and work permits

not needing work permit is one thing - but its assocation with tenure position

at what university do you find this lolas?

all of them!

2 hours ago, LolaS said:

so you have any proof?

I have shared many times information which comes direct and clear from the director of my uni., a full mainstream government controlled uni. And I've had the exact same details from old colleagues from other full mainstream government controlled unis., where I have worked previously.

You claim it's incorrect, and in areas where several universities say something consistent but you claim it's incorrect. 

One difference, which I mentioned many days ago, is in terms of length of contracts etc., being perhaps different at full state mainstream government unis., compared to other unis., run under different controls / ownerships. I didn't notice any response from you. 

I don't intend to play any games with you, just trying to get a clear understanding. 

Archived