W0000t ... I Can Get Own Phone Line And Net Conn Now (maybe)

Wizzard of Oz

Ok, I *may* have found a place that will let me get my own phone line for a personal net connection.

It's on nimmenheimen (if that makes a diff to what company's net conn i can get?).

Can anyone recommend the most reliable net service to get?

I need real time net access for my work and this is really crucial. I'm ok with it going down once a week or something for a short period, but when it's up, it needs to be reliable for real-time applications.

Any help would be great.

(NB: This is unrelated to the net-quake problem of the last 2 days)

Cheers,

Wiz

Edited by Wizzard of Oz

If you do day trading, none of the connections available will be fast enough. Online gamers of World of Warcraft etc. also complain of severe latency in Thailand.

TRUE cable modem is available on Nimmanheimin and at least used to be the best, most reliable Internet in town. Can't say for sure if it is anymore, you'll need to check with people actually using it these days.

Of the ADSL connections available, CS Loxinfo usually gets highest marks for reliability. They cap BitTorrent daytime.

Thanks for the reply meadish.

Well, i've been able to make do with the connection at some net cafe's, so my requirements seem possible to meet.

I'm not sure what the issues with installing cable in an appartment are (though the manager seems happy to oblige) as opposed to adsl though, or which is more reliable.

Also, can I get cable without a phone installation, since I don't even need a phone line for non internet use?

Any other opinions on realiable internet for real-time work?

Cheers,

Wiz

True will do the install for free, probably give you the cable modem for free. The promotion I did had that and I get 1.0/512 in my office for 890 THB/mo. and 512/256 in my house for 750 THB/mo.

The 1.0/512 usually tests out on speakeasy.net to the LA server at 800/400 or so, which is fine for me. The 512/256 runs around 350/200. As everyone will tell you, there are occasional times when it will bog a bit, but nothing thats bugged me too much. Of course the whole net is sluggish as he++ right now.

True doesn't care if you have a phone line.

Edited by calibanjr.

Thanks for the reply meadish.

Well, i've been able to make do with the connection at some net cafe's, so my requirements seem possible to meet.

I'm not sure what the issues with installing cable in an appartment are (though the manager seems happy to oblige) as opposed to adsl though, or which is more reliable.

Also, can I get cable without a phone installation, since I don't even need a phone line for non internet use?

Any other opinions on realiable internet for real-time work?

Cheers,

Wiz

A physical cable about the same size as a tv aerial cable has to be installed and run all the way to your room. In your room, the cable will go into a cable modem. From the cable modem to your computer, a regular RJ-11 network cable, or, if you dont have a network port on your computer (which would be worth getting if you dont), a USB cable.

The cable is separate from the phone system. You've seen the shape of the phone cables in Thailand. For reliability, my money is on a freshly installed cable modem connection instead of using ADSL.

I'd definitely go back to TRUE cable in the blink of an eye if it was available in my present location. NOT impressed with TT&T MaxNet 4 Home ADSL or Hi Net by TT&T which are the ADSL options I have tried myself.