Going to live near Khon Kaen

JackScarlett

I will be moving to Khon Kaen - I will be between Namphong and Kranuan are and would welcome advice on shopping.   My questions are:

will I be able to buy items such as English style bacon and sausages in Khon Kaen

Where am I likely to be able to buy aircon units at a reasonable price

Where is the best place to buy furniture - beds, wardrobes etc

Is internet connection good or patchy

will I be able to have large bottles of drinking water delivered or will I have to resort to 7eleven

Apart from true vision, does the area support any other TV provider

Many thanks

Jack Scarlett

I live in Mahasarakham which is about 1 hours drive away, I have never shopped in Khon Khaen but I have been there lot's of times to the hospital. As I pass through the city (on the No 2 road ) I have seen all the big outlets that you require. Big C, Lotus, homepro, Index and I am sure there are more of the same, In essence you can do all your needs in one road, Internet is OK but tends to be slow at times. I don't know about TV, There is probably other cable providers or you can buy a box to connect via internet.

Regarding  furniture depending on your needs there are much cheaper shops around town.

Cheers

4 hours ago, JackScarlett said:

will I be able to buy items such as English style bacon and sausages in Khon Kaen

As above: the "usual" chain supermarkets are there.

As well for food (TOPS in Central, BigC, two big Tescos, MAKRO) as also for furniture (Index, Koncept, baan&BEYOND) and other home decoration stuff (HomePro).

English style: not my expertise. Whether you will find something decent is for others to say. I once was in a little shop called "Khon Kaen Food Supply" which looks "British".

I was not impressed. But have a look on your own. It's just beside the big hotel ("Pullman").

Is internet connection good or patchy

So many operators. Are you free to install a connection of your choice (have a house?).

Usually best is to have a fiber optic connection.

AIS fiber is highly praised at the moment.

will I be able to have large bottles of drinking water delivered or will I have to resort to 7eleven

Delivery? I don't know about an organized to the home delivery.

0.5 liter glass bottles in 24 bottle crates (to be returned/exchanged) are available at many shops (not! at the big chain supermarkets).

Besides plain water there is also soda in such crates (24 bottles, 0.4 liters each).

You would have to arrange delivery with the shop owner.

If the distance is not too big and you order a reasonable amount, the helpers will do it on a motorbike side car.

As you don't live in the city, this would be a local search for a beverage shop.

Where am I likely to be able to buy aircon units at a reasonable price

So many places, competition is strong. So not too much of a price difference for same models. Of course the price range depending on size/technology can be huge (like 8000 to 30000 Baht or so for an individual unit).

No idea about TV. True is going south. Unfortunately a popular internet TV service in Thailand has been raided/closed (illegal).

42 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If you have more detailed questions, I suggest you open separate threads.

English style food in Khon Kaen

Aircon shops in Khon Kaen

Internet providers in Khon Kaen

There is a delivery by an English man every 6 weeks to the car park at Makro. He has a huge list of English, Indian and Chinese food available.

Take a look at http://www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net/

Very cheap compared to Supermarkets and excellent quality.  He is next due to deliver on Thursday 13th July.

JC

1 hour ago, Tosseroon said:

Why didn't you find this out before deciding to move there

i suggest you live for a few weeks so you know what you are letting yourself in for

or are you just ? in love ???

Thank you for your input.  Your TV name is most appropriate.

Wherever you live in Thailand I wouldn't bother with any of the cable/satellite providers. Do everything via the internet on some kind of box. Watch what you want, when you want.

Khon Kaen is as good as any and better than most place to live in Thaiand.

Nothing wrong with getting the ball rolling and learning as much as you can, I understand your excitement.  Also a lot to be said for the excitement of discovery , when you get here.

Everything you need and want is here, Plenty of the big retail chains here and a lot of smaller shops to help with special needs. Hospitals, world class mall, great restaurants, plenty of street food, morning and night markets. 

Come on in, the water is fine:smile:

We live near the Ubonrat dam in Khon Kaen provence. Sometimes we go KK to shop but nowadays big stores are poping up everywhere; Chumpair is nearer for us and that has at least 3 big wasadus (diy home centers). In KK you have Dohome, Thai wasadu, Global House and HomeHub; between all of these you can find anything home related (DoHome is my favourite; every kind of tool or building material you could wish for).

KK is pretty modern thinking; it has the second best University in Thailand, which covers alot of the land in the city. The airport is pretty good and busy; at least 10 flights a day, mainly to Bangkok.

Western food will always be a problem in Thailand. Its rarely like home. If you plan staying a long time you will need to adapt to the local diet. Thats not a bad thing; its very healthy. Currently in the mango season so you could just gorg yourself on that!

Regarding shopping and buying difficult to find things: I just order them on Lazada or find them on websites near Bangkok and get them delivered ems/kerry/dhl. Just pay on delivery or transfer to someones bank. Today I ordered a new wheel bearing for my pickup; it will arrive in a couple of days. Out in the sticks we even get decent Internet!

I would not want to live in KK city; I think now most Asian cities are horrible. Nowadays the attraction of Thailand has got to be country living?

3 hours ago, Tosseroon said:

Why didn't you find this out before deciding to move there

i suggest you live for a few weeks so you know what you are letting yourself in for

or are you just ? in love ???

A remarkable first post ....

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Khon Kaen is as good as any and better than most place to live in Thaiand.

Nothing wrong with getting the ball rolling and learning as much as you can, I understand your excitement.  Also a lot to be said for the excitement of discovery , when you get here.

Everything you need and want is here, Plenty of the big retail chains here and a lot of smaller shops to help with special needs. Hospitals, world class mall, great restaurants, plenty of street food, morning and night markets. 

Come on in, the water is fine:smile:

We live in Nam Phong. Theres a small lotus, not exactly felang oriented, but ok for basic things. Bread, eggs, chips etc. There is a bigger lotus on the road to Nam Phong 2. it has Chicken,pork and seafood cold counter, and it does felang baked beans, it used to do Brooks, tinned toms as well.The usual spaghetti and the cans of Prego suaces. Alas there is no Bacon, as we know it. When we went to the big c in the centre, i showed my wife some bacon, and when i told her it was pork, she didnt believe me.If you are looking for streaky or back or any choice cuts, you may have your work cut out. There is a very good bakery there that does beautiful crusty bread.The veg is always top class. If Nam phong is close to you, then you should visit the open and closed market there. The vege's and fruit is very good and inexpensive, although the wise boys on the stools like to chance their arm with the prices. There are some fish sellers there, who will kill a fish and gut it for you. The only problem there is, that as KK is land locked,the fish are all fresh water, and lack that certain taste that sea fish have.The city is good for eateries and have  pizza, steak and other types of restaurants along the main road. And of course, there is the big central centre that has every place to eat that you want. There is also a makro's. KKis not exactly the boonies as people think. You just have to look around.Oh yes, and the central has a Robinson's inside, where you can buy fresh  sea fish from an iced counter.

If you are like me and my wife, who like to go out once a month to KK,and play pool, and make a bit of noise.Then, on the Pullman road is a soi of about 12 bars, all having music and the beer is cheap. Me and Mrs kaen go and have the night in a hotel and make a little break of it.

Enjoy KK, you could do a lot worse.

1 hour ago, MaiChai said:

(diy home centers). In KK you have Dohome, Thai wasadu, Global House and HomeHub; between all of these you can find anything home related (DoHome is my favourite; every kind of tool or building material you could wish for).

Also Home Pro.

2 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

Also Home Pro.

Yep and Home do has a remarkable bed section. And when they have sales you can really do well. We bought a metal frame bed, king size, and a great mattress, for 1,800 baht. we've had it for 2 years now and its really the best bed ive ever slept in here. I bought all my timber,for making some built in wardrobes at 50 % of the price that my local merchant wanted. Also  their bathroom section is second to none, as a plumber, years ago, i bought china, for our wet room for pennies. before you buy anything,check out home do.

2 hours ago, MaiChai said:

Western food will always be a problem in Thailand. Its rarely like home. If you plan staying a long time you will need to adapt to the local diet.

Sure you don't have the choice like at home and in Pattaya or Bangkok you find extra choice for a price. Often very steep price tag.

But I wouldn't go so far that you "have to" adapt.

If you shop at the upper scale places it's more a question of how deep your pockets are.

(assuming you prepare food on your own, quality western style restaurants are indeed rare)

Personally I have never changed my preferred breakfast habits.

A bit more mixed for other meals. Sometimes western, sometimes Thai food.

I am not the "I do not eat rice" type.

Sure you don't have the choice like at home and in Pattaya or Bangkok you find extra choice for a price. Often very steep price tag.
But I wouldn't go so far that you "have to" adapt.
If you shop at the upper scale places it's more a question of how deep your pockets are.
(assuming you prepare food on your own, quality western style restaurants are indeed rare)
Personally I have never changed my preferred breakfast habits.
A bit more mixed for other meals. Sometimes western, sometimes Thai food.
I am not the "I do not eat rice" type.

Give it a few months and we will have a new place opening up that will be doing quality western and Thai food aimed at not just Thais but western too. (Spicy or as tame as you like)
If anyone would like to pm me with suggestions and wish lists I will pass them on to the Chef and see what we can get on the menu. Not everyone will be catered to as that's just not practical but throw a few requests and who knows what you might get.
Don't ask where it's going to be as it's not going to be public knowledge for a few months yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want good bacon and sausages go and see Dave in the blues bar you can't miss the place, if you are coming from the Kosa hotel go past the Pullman to the end of the road turn left and the Blues Bar is on the left.

He cures his own bacon now and he is a scoucer so it's cured properly, you might even get streaky bacon but not sure about that,  try his breakfast first and then you will know.

Tell him Bob from the uk told you about him.

Give it a try ,the breakfast is a plate full and the coffee is good.Plenty of expats from everywhere and good topics of conversation everyday

Enjoy

On 6/11/2017 at 4:20 AM, Janner1 said:

If you want good bacon and sausages go and see Dave in the blues bar you can't miss the place, if you are coming from the Kosa hotel go past the Pullman to the end of the road turn left and the Blues Bar is on the left.

He cures his own bacon now and he is a scoucer so it's cured properly, you might even get streaky bacon but not sure about that,  try his breakfast first and then you will know.

Give it a try ,the breakfast is a plate full and the coffee is good.Plenty of expats from everywhere and good topics of conversation everyday

Enjoy

Wish I read this yesterday, we had breakfast at the KK Hotel this morning, very disappointing, B300 for a very skimpy Amer. breakfast for me and TW had a tuna salad sandwich consisting of three slices of bread with tuna straight from the can, no mayo, no anything.

All of my favorite shopping spots have been covered but I'll say that Makro has more of the Western food I miss and DoHome has most of the hardware, tools, and various supplies I need at the best prices.

On 6/11/2017 at 4:20 AM, Janner1 said:

Enjoy

I agree.

Was just in khon kaen today and am moving there myself in a few months. I live 85km away at present in a little place called kalasin. 

Can't answer your questions too much but my Internet is top notch for streaming and had no issues in 15 months touch wood.

There is a tops market so if they have grub you like it's there in central plaza khon kaen.

Plenty of home furnishing shops on the main mithaphap rd.

Had a wander round central and I gotta say. I came across 4-5 farangs and was a bit disappointed with the attire. One lad 45-50 literally looked like he was in fancy dress as a football yob.

No excuses when you in town IMO.

Speaking of which; Fred Perry shorts 70% off in the central plaza discount store in CP otherwise known as Footwork  Void right by a star bucks it is. Grabbed 6000 baht worth of Ben sher man shirts for 1900 today. Paid 3600 for 1 pair before so very happy with these two new pairs. 

Fix up lads seriously.

Edited by Rc2702

To answer a couple of questions. English style bacon no not really streaky bacon out of tesco is ok. 

We have 3bb no problem i would give it 9 out of ten for reliability.

Tv True is crap now. There are some good IPTV providers which i cant mention on here but if you want them pm me (yes they are a secret now?)

Kk has a great selection of furniture stores our favourites are Do home and Global.

Dri king water just buy a filter its on tap then.

Welcome to KK its a great place

To answer a couple of questions. English style bacon no not really streaky bacon out of tesco is ok. 
We have 3bb no problem i would give it 9 out of ten for reliability.
Tv True is crap now. There are some good IPTV providers which i cant mention on here but if you want them pm me (yes they are a secret now[emoji41])
Kk has a great selection of furniture stores our favourites are Do home and Global.
Dri king water just buy a filter its on tap then.
Welcome to KK its a great place

Eyepeeteevee resources are hardly a secret.
Can find plenty on google in the form of apk's or Kodi addons.

Just now, Alantct said:

Eyepeeteevee resources are hardly a secret.
Can find plenty on google in the form of apk's or Kodi addons.

Secret as in they dont like you talking about them on here. Due to ongoing clamp downs

On 6/10/2017 at 7:53 PM, MaiChai said:

Western food will always be a problem in Thailand. Its rarely like home. If you plan staying a long time you will need to adapt to the local diet. Thats not a bad thing; its very healthy. Currently in the mango season so you could just gorg yourself on that!

Regarding shopping and buying difficult to find things: I just order them on Lazada or find them on websites near Bangkok and get them delivered ems/kerry/dhl. Just pay on delivery or transfer to someones bank. Today I ordered a new wheel bearing for my pickup; it will arrive in a couple of days. Out in the sticks we even get decent Internet!

I would have to disagree with you regarding adapting to a "local diet" I have been here going on 30 years and have never adapted, rice is a poor "staple" and the quality of local meats dubious, the fish is all farmed and tasteless IMO, local food lacks any decent protein contact and they use far too much sugar which is why diabetes is so prevalent, its something of a myth that it is healthy! You can find most western food here, sure it can be pricey but worth it for me.

I would have to agree with you about ordering online, by far the cheapest & easiest way to shop in Thailand, AC & many other items are usually far cheaper buying from Lazada than it is in any of the "big" shops.

6 hours ago, CGW said:

I would have to disagree with you regarding adapting to a "local diet" I have been here going on 30 years and have never adapted, rice is a poor "staple" and the quality of local meats dubious, the fish is all farmed and tasteless IMO, local food lacks any decent protein contact and they use far too much sugar which is why diabetes is so prevalent, its something of a myth that it is healthy! You can find most western food here, sure it can be pricey but worth it for me.

I would have to agree with you about ordering online, by far the cheapest & easiest way to shop in Thailand, AC & many other items are usually far cheaper buying from Lazada than it is in any of the "big" shops.

Horses for courses i love the local diet sticky rice especially. Western food is well over priced in supermarkets and the choice is terrible. Very rare we cook at home now. Exept for rice buy from market for tea already cooked chicken/fish/pork the list is endless. 

A/c cheaper localy than stores or Lazada and fitted we use same family for buying/fitting/maintaining..  

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Horses for courses i love the local diet sticky rice especially. Western food is well over priced in supermarkets and the choice is terrible. Very rare we cook at home now. Exept for rice buy from market for tea already cooked chicken/fish/pork the list is endless. 

A/c cheaper localy than stores or Lazada and fitted we use same family for buying/fitting/maintaining..  

As you say "horses for courses" years back I used to eat a lot more local food than I do now, we very rarely eat out, I prefer to cook at home with produce that I believe is better quality than buying outside pre cooked. Western food is over priced but I am willing to pay that bit extra for better quality food than what is cooked by the road, the selection isn't great but would hardly call it "terrible"

Having just bought AC your experience of buying locally rather than online is different to mine.