Thai police arrive in nick of time as extortionists threaten to cut up Japanese businessman

rooster59

Thai police arrive in nick of time as extortionists threaten to cut up Japanese businessman

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1Bab6eDdLvwYPUCpSUNBXu7iVM1w5.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

Thai police got to an Ekamai apartment just in time as a gang of Japanese extortionists seemed to be preparing to murder and cut up a businessman.

Sinami Watanabe was tied to a bed and had been beaten repeatedly with a baseball bat. He was immediately taken to hospital in a serious condition.

In the room was a saw and bags for concealing a corpse.

Three Japanese men are helping police with their enquiries at Thong Lor police station in a case that a top brass officer said involves a lot of money.

Mr Watanabe, a businessman dealing in medical supplies, was abducted from the Chaeng Wattana area on Monday by men believed to be building contractors.

Police became aware of the case on Wednesday when his Thai wife and a friend reported his disappearance tyo 191 and Thong Lor police.

A ransom attempt had already been made and matters seemed to have taken a serious turn, reported Thai Rath.

Police managed to trace one of the abductors who was seen out in a Toyota Vios buying things near the end of Sukhumvit Soi 26. He was arrested and taken back to an apartment in Soi Ekamai Soi 23.

There police found Mr Watanabe tied to a bed with multiple wounds to his left leg and body made with a baseball bat.

He was in a serious condition.

Suthee Nerakanthee said that his men had arrived just in time. He said there was a saw in the room along with bags for concealing a corpse and it was clear that Mr Watanabe was in mortal danger.

The exact reason for the abduction is under investigation but three unnamed Japanese nationals are in custody at Tong Lor police station, he said, adding that the case involves a lot of money.

There may be more criminals involved.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-10

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Three Japanese men are helping police with their enquiries at Thong Lor police station in a case that a top brass officer said involves a lot of money."

Of course there's a lot of money involved!  You don't think the top brass would leave it to mere underlings!

4 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Super scary. How did the police know to arrive on time?

Usually these kind of scenarios involve a falling out among thieves, it would be really scary if he was just an ordinary business man kidnapped for ransom.

3 hours ago, trogers said:

Yakuza in action?

Should be easy enough to find out, check for tattoos.

Well done to the police.....I'm sure he is very grateful to them.

Sadly some on here have a mind the size of a peanut....all they can do is find fault. .....Praise is well deserved in this instance

4 hours ago, trogers said:

Yakuza in action?

I didn't know there were any Yakuza in Thailand. Never heard of any issues with the Japanese here, they are usually very hard-working and polite.

3 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I didn't know there were any Yakuza in Thailand. Never heard of any issues with the Japanese here, they are usually very hard-working and polite.

Not so polite if you try to get a drink in one of the all Japanese clubs in Korat. 

10 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

The salary men usually reside in Sukhumvit area. A businessman residing in Chaengwattana area is out of the norm.

1 minute ago, trogers said:

The salary men usually reside in Sukhumvit area. A businessman residing in Chaengwattana area is out of the norm.

Agreed. I wonder if there are any Japanese companies out that way...

11 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

But is it the Japanese or the Thais causing problems there?

All I know is we did not see the small sign out front that said Japanese only... what followed was a quite unceremonious 'assisted' exit. There were no Thais involved 

15 minutes ago, trogers said:

Examples:

1. Japanese working for a Japanese subsidiary located in Chaeng Watthana

2. Japanese businessman meeting supplier (Thai company) located there.

3. Anybody heard of Impact? That's located not far from Chaeng Watthana Road. They had an international food expo last week.

To suggest business people should hang around or reside only in Sukhumvit is nonsense. All industrial areas (factories etc) are on the outskirts.

6 minutes ago, lkv said:

Examples:

1. Japanese working for a Japanese subsidiary located in Chaeng Watthana

2. Japanese businessman meeting supplier (Thai company) located there.

3. Anybody heard of Impact? That's located not far from Chaeng Watthana Road. They had an international food expo last week.

To suggest business people should hang around or reside only in Sukhumvit is nonsense.

Have not heard of a Japanese subsidiary company in that area. Visitors to an expo would be staying in hotels and not in an apartment with a Thai gf...

5 minutes ago, trogers said:

Have not heard of a Japanese subsidiary company in that area. Visitors to an expo would be staying in hotels and not in an apartment with a Thai gf...

All I am saying is, I do not find it abnormal for somebody to reside in Chaengwatthana if the business related activities take place in that area, even to rent an apartment if he travels many times to Thailand or works in Thailand.

Bangkok is big, it's not all about Sukhumvit.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Sadly some on here have a mind the size of a peanut....all they can do is find fault

Yer I agree and usually from the same sources ---I do wish they would expand on these reports though----- I mean surely the reporters first question was "How did you find out".....

Sadly some on here have a mind the size of a peanut....all they can do is find fault. .....Praise is well deserved in this instance

A peanut? ?  That big??

More like a sesame seed.

please don't insult peanuts

Archived