Somtam Liver Fluke test - anyone had it?

t8769

Anyone been tested for Liver Fluke? 
The statistics are scare, very high rates of liver cancer in Issan. I've lived there and eaten a lot of somtam, which seems to be a good way to get it. 

How about eating Somtam in Bangkok or other places where they use bottled sauce, and not the home made stuff which can have the liver fluke parasite?

Some people said its still dangerous, as they use fresh water crabs, which can also have parasites, and so cause problems by contaminating the bowl.

I'm not usually someone who worries about health, I don't worry about water or contamination, but the rates of cancer from this are scary.

Can I eat Somtam in BKK or CM even if they use fresh water crabs. Are they likely to use processed and safe sauce that's not contaminated?

Thanks

Edited by t8769
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info.

This was my concern. If I eat Somtam in BKK, even if they don't use homemade sauce, they're using freshwater crabs, and so the bowl can be contaminated with parasites from them.

I assume this is an issue with some of the sushi you can buy here from little stores or at the market - no safety.

I'm not normally someone who worries about this stuff, but the statistics are shocking.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...