Chiang Mai To Laos

princealbert

Hello 1 and all

I am going to laos in an to attempt to get a non imm "o" based on marriage if this fails then a 60 day TV it must be for now. But first i must get there, checked with many travel agents to get flight but no luck so overland i go.

Can i get a visa for Laos in Chiang Mai ?

Are there any timetables for coach/bus or trains ?

Better to use agent for visa in Laos or not ?

Thanks in advance to all replies.

Not sure about Lao visa in CM.

Not a big deal to do Vientiane from CM. Easiest way IMO is fly NokAir to Udon 1 hr. flight, get a bus to the bridge 1 hr. , then get a Visa on arrival into Laos at the bridge, takes about 15 mins. Then you've got to do the overnight consulate deal. That being said, you should look around the forum, as I've noticed a few times that people say that the Vientiane consulate is pretty picky about paperwork for both O visas and tourist visas.

Can i get a visa for Laos in Chiang Mai ?

No need to. Show up at the border for a visa-on-arrival. Now good for 30 days! Cost is between 30-40USD, depending upon your nationality. For a tourist visa, go to either Vientianne's or Savannaket's Thai consulate, as there is none available at Huay Sai, which across from Chiang Kong.

Are there any timetables for coach/bus or trains ?

Check the bus station. There are day and as well as overnight buses available.

Better to use agent for visa in Laos or not ?

Again, no need to anymore.

I got a non-o visa in Mae Sai....I didn't have to leave the country at all....I think you can do this in Chiang Mai too....I think there is no need to leave the country to get what you want.

In the event that you decide to go to Vientienne......the cheapest is the bus (is this what you call a 'coach'?)....there is no direct train so you would have to take the train to Bangkok first and then take the train to Nong Khai...it would be a two day trip one way I think.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

I got a non-o visa in Mae Sai....I didn't have to leave the country at all....I think you can do this in Chiang Mai too....I think there is no need to leave the country to get what you want.

In the event that you decide to go to Vientienne......the cheapest is the bus (is this what you call a 'coach'?)....there is no direct train so you would have to take the train to Bangkok first and then take the train to Nong Khai...it would be a two day trip one way I think.

Chownah

Where and how in CM ?

Mae Sai Now that would be nice too

My details are

I am a 45 year old newly married brit to thai

We have all paperwork as requested on leaflet from immigration.

I came here early Sept on 60 day TV have done 3 Mae Sai border runs my last to expire 15th Jan.

Told today by immigration in CM that i need to have non imm. "o" to get extention, and that i must obtain non imm. "o" outside the kingdom hense the Vientianne trip.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge