Daughter's Amphur Refusing To Give Letter of Consent for travel.

Going abroad with my Thai born half Thai daughter. Her Thai mother won't be with us.

We all went to our local Amphur - Don Muang - to get the letter of consent that will allow me to take her out of the country - her Tabien Bahn is Don Muang district. 

They refused to give it saying that only the Amphur in her mother's district can give it. Which is about 700km away.

I suspect that it is just the office making us go off on a 1,400km trip for a bit of fun. 

Has anyone else gotten it at their child's local amphur office that isn't the mother's?

Does anyone know if you can get this letter of consent at the MFA at Cheang Wattana?

Thanks. 

Better safe than sorry. Taking her home for granny's 70th birthday. Can't risk it.

The questions are about the amphur and the MFA.

Thanks. 

Edited by DLang
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Wouldn't a letter from the mother suffice which would also include her telephone number if worse came to worse?

Well unfortunately any one can fake that

& as we know about Thailand they like things done in their own Amphurs - so since the Blue book is registered 700 k away with all in it may look like you need to travel

A bit like when the Thais vote they all seem to head back to their Amphor

Every Amphur has its own rules. And even every officer has its own rules here. No matter if you're getting driving licence, getting married or trying to get some document from them. Try to give them call first. They told you, that only Amphur in her mother's district can give it. You can drive there 700 Km. And there you can found out, that only Amphur where is tabian baan registered can give it. :sleep:

• Like 2

They are correct.

Only the Amphoe where the Mother is registered can issue such a letter.

It sounds as though the Mother may have moved but not bothered to update her registration, which isn't so important to them, but when it comes to other issues as you now face, it becomes a virtual pain in the backside.

Why not ask the airline if they will accept a letter from the Mother.

Edited by Tanoshi

MFA have confirmed they cannot do it.

Rang the Amphur in her home district and they have no idea about it. Never heard of it. Never given one.

Which may be to our advantage. Might be able to print out an example, send copies of everything from all ID's and passports and tickets and birth certs and marriage certs to her family and maybe they can get them to do it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DLang said:

Which may be to our advantage. Might be able to print out an example, send copies of everything from all ID's and passports and tickets and birth certs and marriage certs to her family and maybe they can get them to do it. 

Sorry, but I doubt it.  Copies won't cut it at the local Amphur, notwithstanding you've already stated that they've never heard of such a document.

20 hours ago, DLang said:

MFA have confirmed they cannot do it.

Rang the Amphur in her home district and they have no idea about it. Never heard of it. Never given one.

When we got the letter for our niece only the parents went to the amphur. They took with them copies of my passport, my wifes passport, her ID card,the tabien bann and the childs birth certificate. When they issued the letter our names and passport numbers were stated in the letter. The letter was in Thai so we had to have it translated for her visa. When the visa was issued our passport numbers were on it stating that at least one of us must accompany her.

On exiting Thailand we showed them the letter of consent and when we got to the UK the immigration officer asked for the consent letter but then saw that our passport numbers were on the visa so we did not have to show it.

So to recap, only the mother needs to go to the amphur and copies of your passport should suffice. 

• Like 1

I am afraid you will have to either have your wife's written consent or a Thai court order.

The reason is that more than one person has attempted to take  their Thai daughter back "home"  to their native country without the mother's consent.

There is a corresponding number of stories from the father's native country of Thai mothers who have taken their sons or daughters to Thailand against the father's wishes.

it is always done in the children's "best interests", but as minors the children could  not give their "informed consent".

I am not making judgements, I am just trying to explain the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

The Thai mother wont be away, so will be at the airport.

We will risk not going back to her amphur to get their stamp.

I will presume that the mother being present at the airport, with signed and dated copies of:

Letter of consent in Thai.

Letter of consent in English.

Daughter and mother's birth certs.

Thai mother's passport and ID card.

Daughter's passport.

Marriage certificate.

Tabien bahn of mother and of child.

All copies signed and originals, and the mother present.

Would presume that there could not be any issues and that they refuse permission for me to take her out of the country. 

Edited by DLang

Let us know how that turns out.

Our granddaughter often accompanies the wife and I on trips and each time we have to get our daughter to round up her ex and go with him to their amphur to make out a letter of consent. You need to get past both the check-in and immigration, whilst the mother can be present at check-in not sure how you'll get her into the immigration hall.

If you are already in Bangkok might I suggest you take a trip to the airport with Mother in tow and ask at the Airport Immigration Office there "before" your date of departure.  If this is even possible they should be the ones to tell you since you need to go through them to get out of the country. They will be the ones that make the decision.  You might not like their answer either.

The thing with this is that the mother will not be present at immigration, these are the people you need to convince. How did you get on when you got your daughter her visa? Was there any mention of her just travelling with you?

The other problem you may have is when you get to immigration at your destination, they may well question you there. When we took our niece without her permmision letter, the Thai immigration officer made a note in her passport that he had spoken to her parents but told us there was no gaurantee that she would be admitted.

I do hope all goes well for you for all your sakes.

• Like 1

Daughter doesn't have a visa.

She has a Thai passport and an EU passport.

She was born in Thailand.

My Thai wife - her mother, will be at the airport with us. 

We are married and daughter has my surname. 

Edited by DLang

I've never heard of a case of a Thai child being refused exit when her Thai parent is there, giving verbal and written consent, and is married to the father taking the child on holiday. 

Edited by DLang

I can't imagine that has ever happened.

That they have refused a child's exit from the country when their Thai parent is there giving consent for the child to travel with her husband (the child's father), and there is written consent in both Thai and English, as well as all supporting documents - marriage cert, passports, Thai ID, Tabien bahns etc.

• Like 1