External access to home server on 3BB | Router config / port forwarding?

simplelifetao

Hi,
I have a server at home which I need to be able to access from external connections.
In the past I've used dynamic DNS with a TOT internet connection (dynamic IP) which worked fine.

Now I move house and have switched to 3BB ADSL, and am having no success. Router is their nt3bb-4pwn-134.
Currently it seems I am unable to access my home IP. (I get a 'took too long to respond' error message when I try).

Does anyone have any experience of setting up the 3BB router to achieve this?

What the other posters are referring to is CG-NAT (Carrier Grade - Network Address Translation).

Normally, your router requests an IP Address from your Internet Provider. It issues a 'Public' IPv4 from their 'pool' of available addresses that can communicate directly over the Internet.

Some Internet Service Providers are placing all new customers, and converting old customers, over to CG-NAT and issuing customer router WAN devices a 'private' IPv4 addresses (100.64.0.0 – 100.127.255.255) non-Internet routable IP address, essentially double-NATing any device you connect to your router.  Port Forwarding needs to be done on BOTH your router, and the Carriers upstream router (usually not allowed).

You can request 3BB issue you a 'public' IP address (and not a CG-NAT 'private' IP address), by telling them you have security cameras that need the direct connection. 

Archived