Discovering Penang

snoop1130

Discovering Penang

written by Zydrune Juceviciute

5.png

It was our first trip outside Thailand and perhaps the most fascinating one. Funky street art, homemade Indian food and astonishing Chinese temples – a beautiful blend of different cultures to experience in one place.

George Town

My significant other and I stayed at one of the guesthouses ran by Chinese family in George Town, the heart of the island. The town was founded by the British in 1786 and is now listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Our guesthouse was situated just a corner away from Little India so we were frequent visitors there. I enjoy Indian cuisine just as much as my partner does. We were at the right place to immerse ourselves in a myriad of tastes. The food quality in the local Indian restaurants was fantastic despite the messiness. The variety of choices was overwhelming: mutton brain curry, biryani, samosa, mint naan. We quickly learnt all favourite dish names as it became our food source for the entire stay.

If you ever visit Penang, don’t forget to try out hot or with ice Teh Susu. It’s a delicious tea beverage with sweetened creamer, similar to Hong Kong tea.

Street art vibes

One of the most popular activities in Penang is to explore the playful wall murals. Every tourist map has illustrated locations of famous murals to see. While deepening in to the street art history, I’ve found out that the reason why street art became such a big deal in Penang is because of a Lithuanian born artist and his contribution. It was a lovely surprise myself being of the same origin.

We scrolled from street to street, taking funny photos and “hunting” for more wall paintings. It was a good workout.

Every corner of George Town had something worth seeing. I couldn’t miss visiting few eye catchy vintage souvenir shops and cafes.

Have you ever eaten icy Dragon Ball? They have it in Penang! There is a tiny café nearby Khoo Kongsi clan house temple selling it.

Full Story: http://expatlifeinthailand.com/travel-and-leisure/discovering-penang/

expat-life.png
-- © Copyright Expat Life In Thailand 2017-6-14

41 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

No but at Capitan you will get the best India curry.

For anyone who doesnt know, Captain's Curry (or Curry Kapitan) is really nice: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ayam-kapitan-captains-curry

Another delight is Laksa. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laksa

Both are well worth going to Malaysia for.