Visa problem

Hi

I have made myself a huge problem according to Thailand visa, because of lack of research. I was hoping some of you could give me som advice of how to solve this problem. My plan was this:

Fly from Cambodia to Chiang Rai, get a Visa exemption.

The next day, travel from Chiang Rai to Keng Tung (Myanmar) and stay there for 5 days.

Then go back to Chiang Rai for one day, and then go to Laos. (Thought I could get a new Visa exemption)

I have been reading around, and it seems that crossing the Mae Rai - Tachileik border without a multiple entry visa to Thailand could be difficult. And I have also read that getting a Visa Exemption when going back is not possible on this crossing.

I am from Norway, and can not get a multiple entry visa, that would solve all mye problems.

Therefore I have this questions:

Will they let me out from Thailand on this crossing? (I already have a Myanmar visa)

Will they let me in to Thailand on the same crossing 5 days later? (Maybe they will be a little helpful since I just are staying for one day?)

If they let me out, but not in, will they let me in if I fly out of Myanmar, and into Thailand?

Thank you very much for your help!

No problem to leave the country at any border crossing without a visa for re-entry since you have a visa for Myanmar.

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry when you enter the country from Tachileik at Mae Sai without a problem unless you have done 2 previous visa exempt entries at a land border crossing this year. You seem to of been reading some outdated info.

It appears you will be able to use visa exempt entries. For situations where you cannot, often the best way is a tourist visa and reentry permit. Keep that in mind if you will be doing several border hops, as you are restricted to 2 visa exempt entries by land in  a calendar year.

On 6/15/2017 at 7:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

No problem to leave the country at any border crossing without a visa for re-entry since you have a visa for Myanmar.

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry when you enter the country from Tachileik at Mae Sai without a problem unless you have done 2 previous visa exempt entries at a land border crossing this year. You seem to of been reading some outdated info.

I live in Maesai & you will not get 1 month vise exempt only by flying to any bordering country, you need a multiple entry visa, you could take a gamble, but i do not think is worth wasting your time, above info is way outdated, i have lived here over 20 years, & telling you the way it is  2017

Just now, steve73 said:

This discussion has prompted a somewhat related question ...

Is it possible to get a re-entry permit for a 60 days tourist visa - or even for a 30 day visa exempt entry?

You can get a re-entry permit for the 60 day permit to stay from a tourist visa and/or the 30 day extension of it. You could apply for a re-entry permit for a 30 day visa exempt entry but immigration would probably suggest you just get a new entry instead.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You can get a re-entry permit for the 60 day permit to stay from a tourist visa and/or the 30 day extension of it. You could apply for a re-entry permit for a 30 day visa exempt entry but immigration would probably suggest you just get a new entry instead.

Thanks Joe, but if you had previously used 2 VE's by land, it would allow you to enter again by land.. albeit with a reduced PtS period.

54 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Thanks Joe, but if you had previously used 2 VE's by land, it would allow you to enter again by land.. albeit with a reduced PtS period.

Yes, that would be a valid use case.

Actually, reentry permits should be very easy to understand, once you appreciate they are tied to the permission to stay and nothing to do with any previous or current visas you may have in your passport. A reentry permit can be acquired to protect any permission to stay. Its effect is simply to allow exit from Thailand and reentry with the permission to stay being unaffected in any way by your trip.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 7:47 AM, ubonjoe said:

You are the one that is out of date.

Mae Sai started allowing a crossing back in January after the 2 visa exempt entries at land border crossing per calendar year rule went into effect.

Also since he has a visa for Myanmar he would of been allowed to do the crossing even before they started allowing them for border hops again.

Irellivent he would still need a re entry visa from Thai to get back in, maybe you know somebody that was lucky, but the place is totally dead & you need a reentry to get back in, do not believe everything you read or are told, i actually live here A see what is happening, or have you actually done this yourself, yeah right

3 hours ago, 1sickpuppy said:

Irellivent he would still need a re entry visa from Thai to get back in, maybe you know somebody that was lucky, but the place is totally dead & you need a reentry to get back in, do not believe everything you read or are told, i actually live here A see what is happening, or have you actually done this yourself, yeah right

There have been first hand reports on TV from people who have done it. If you have tried since January, and been rejected, that would be useful information. This far, we have seen no such reports. If you are saying the reports from those who have done it must be wrong because there are few people crossing the border, we will prefer to believe those who have done it.

On 6/22/2017 at 3:37 AM, BritTim said:

There have been first hand reports on TV from people who have done it. If you have tried since January, and been rejected, that would be useful information. This far, we have seen no such reports. If you are saying the reports from those who have done it must be wrong because there are few people crossing the border, we will prefer to believe those who have done it.

as you know it is entirely up to there discretion, they will do it sometimes other times they will not, is like playing Russian roulette TIT, i have heard of people being rejected, but they are probably happy nowadays, since this rule came in the place is a a ghost town,

1 hour ago, 1sickpuppy said:

as you know it is entirely up to there discretion, they will do it sometimes other times they will not, is like playing Russian roulette TIT, i have heard of people being rejected, but they are probably happy nowadays, since this rule came in the place is a a ghost town,

You're basing your opinions on rumours, hearsay and wishful thinking. A new rule came into effect where you can now do two visa-exempt entries at a land border crossing in a calendar year.

22 hours ago, chippendale said:

You're basing your opinions on rumours, hearsay and wishful thinking. A new rule came into effect where you can now do two visa-exempt entries at a land border crossing in a calendar year.

what about the new rule coming in August where all of us have to fly in & out. no more land, wait & see is up to there disrcetion, as always has been

28 minutes ago, 1sickpuppy said:

what about the new rule coming in August where all of us have to fly in & out. no more land, wait & see is up to there disrcetion, as always has been

OMG - some people just love romurs and unconfirmed stuff...  But why are they so keen to publish it here??? Yeah lets see the origin of that you mention...

Glegolo...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1sickpuppy said:

There is no such rule coming in August. I suspect you read something from 2014 that has been dredged up as being new. Same thing happened last year.

On 6/21/2017 at 11:30 PM, 1sickpuppy said:

he needs to check his facts

Well, why don't you just move along and ignore him then.  I'll continue my reliance on his wisdom and discount newcomers who, as is their right,  disagree.  Thanks for sharing your opinion.