Embarrassing Gap Fixed: MRT Blue and Purple lines to finally connect

webfact

Embarrassing Gap Fixed: MRT Blue and Purple lines to finally connect

By Coconuts Bangkok

cc.jpg

Photo: MNXANL/ Wikimedia Commons

BANGKOK: -- The embarrassing one-kilometer gap between the MRT Blue and Purple lines will finally be fixed—the connecting tracks between the two train lines are expected to launch next month.

The construction of the tracks connecting the Blue Line’s Bang Sue station with the Purple Line’s Taopoon station has been completed. The public test run will start mid-July while the official launch is scheduled for August, according to Pakapong Sirikantaramas, deputy governor of Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand.

Currently, passengers have to take the free shuttle buses or diesel trains to commute between the two train lines.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/embarrassing-gap-fixed-mrt-blue-purple-lines-finally-connect/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-06-15

23 hours ago, neupaneaj said:

will it happen again elsewhere - will the recently being constructed don muang line connect to moh chit bts or mrt? that's the question?

Of course, at Bang Sue Grand station there will be a transfer to the MRT.

With luck you'll also be able to use the same card (Mangmoom).

On 6/15/2017 at 9:59 PM, SiamBeast said:

Well, finally a good idea. Having to take a bus for 1 km in traffic kind of defeats the purpose of having a skytrain. Ever heard the word "bottleneck"?

Honest question here, and not a troll attempt- Is it better just to walk the 1(0)00 meters, or is that even possible given the roads, etc?

Thanks Crossy for catching my typo...

Edited by impulse

Just now, impulse said:

Honest question here, and not a troll attempt- Is it better just to walk the 100 meters, or is that even possible given the roads, etc?

It's a good 1km and walking isn't an option.

I did walk it at night whilst we were testing, no pedestrian pathways, during the day you would get squashed if the exhaust fumes didn't get you first.

Sorry crossy, I have to disagree with you on this one. If you walk on the southern side of Pracha Rai Sai 2 Rd (the side that Tao Poon station entrance is on), there is no major road to cross and there is a pedestrian footpath the whole way; apart from 50m near the overpass where shopkeepers block the footpath.

You may be confused by the lack pedestrian access across the vehicle flyover. If you stay at ground level and walk beside Lotus you come to a u-turn / dead end, but there are stairs leading across the waterway and under the flyover.

I live near the Tao Poon station and walked this route many times. It takes 20-25 minutes and during peak times and is probably quicker than the free bus. I however would understand if some people would be hesitant to walk this at night, as it is dark and uninviting near the flyover.

Pedestrian access 1.png

Pedestrian access 2.png

9 minutes ago, Bill3173 said:

Sorry crossy, I have to disagree with you on this one. If you walk on the southern side of Pracha Rai Sai 2 Rd (the side that Tao Poon station entrance is on), there is no major road to cross and there is a pedestrian footpath the whole way; apart from 50m near the overpass where shopkeepers block the footpath.

You may be confused by the lack pedestrian access across the vehicle flyover. If you stay at ground level and walk beside Lotus you come to a u-turn / dead end, but there are stairs leading across the waterway and under the flyover.

I live near the Tao Poon station and walked this route many times. It takes 20-25 minutes and during peak times and is probably quicker than the free bus. I however would understand if some people would be hesitant to walk this at night, as it is dark and uninviting near the flyover.

Pedestrian access 1.png

Pedestrian access 2.png

Sorry Bill3173, I have to disagree with you on this one. If you are disabled you are not going to be able to walk up or down that flight of stairs on your 2nd pic.

bbi1, what you state is correct, I was referring to the majority of able bodied persons. If lack of access for the disable is of concern, then that would apply to the majority of Bangkok.

Note; Crossy when I said "I have to disagree with you", it was meant in a light hearted manner. Just thought the post might be useful for those who like walking; as I do.   

4 minutes ago, Bill3173 said:

Note; Crossy when I said "I have to disagree with you", it was meant in a light hearted manner. Just thought the post might be useful for those who like walking; as I do.   

Not a problem, it was dark the one time I did it and it looked decidedly uninviting under the overpass, so I walked the route the bus uses.

• 1 month later...

Finally it's operational- I took it last weekend - the connection walk between two trains is shorter than any exiting connections - just up the escalator that is!! Purple line train has very large widows - ride is pleasant - same token works for both the trains and fares are reasonable - a win win in all accounts - people from nonthaburi now can come down to Sukhumvit to party in evenings without much hassle - for me it saves tollway of 200 bhat a day and then some - as I work in bangkadi industrial area.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect