House building during Bhuddist lent

bluesofa

This is really a cross between house building and religion, so I hope I'm asking in the right place?

What's the general consensus about house building during lent, is it permissible or should you really wait until the end?

Also, is it only regarding starting a new house - the blessing of the land, etc., so could an already started project carry on during this time?

You need to follow the local custom or forever carry the stigma of an ignorant farang.  In our village, no construction work on Buddha days or when somebody in the village dies (until the cremation).  When building our house somebody was dying every other day.  The delivery trucks wouldn't even deliver.  Very frustrating but to defy is very bad karma.  

Sorry for my slow response - internet troubles. Thanks for your reply.

However, it's not quite a straightforward situation as me building a house.

My wife has sold some land for development, and payments are being made as houses are built and sold.She keeps all the chanotes until an agreed date for the final payment.

In the meantime there will be some part-payments made, one of which will be when building begins. This has been delayed slightly due the the usual Land Office inefficiency (for sub-dividing some plots). Hence the building work might not begin before 9 July - Khao Pansa.

We have no involvement with the building work, and my wife just assumes they'll be nothing happening for three months. Hence my question, in the hope someone may have first-hand knowledge of the reality.

3 hours ago, TheFiend said:

3 years ago we had our house build during Bhuddist Lent without any problems. Gave the developer a 16 week deadline at the start and he came through no problem. 

Ah, thanks. That's encouraging. As this whole project is Thai run and financed, hopefully it could be the same, to avoid stalling the part-payment for three months.

• 4 weeks later...

A late additional post as the OP:

I thought I'd add a note that I've since found out that building during lent is allowed, as long as the ground-breaking ceremony/foundations/concrete pillars were installed before the start of lent. Further work is allowed to proceed during this time.

Archived