Scores poisoned by noodles

geovalin

More than 100 people living in five villages in Kampong Speu province came down with food poisoning after eating Khmer noodles bought from a street vendor on Wednesday.  Or Vanthen, director of the provincial health department, said 130 people in Samraong Tong and Kong Pisei district suffered vomiting and diarrhea after eating the noodles.

They were receiving medical care, but none are in a serious condition. “The people got sick after eating food bought from an elderly woman who runs a mobile Khmer noodle stall. The people always buy from her and it is normally fine,” he said. Authorities believe the poisoning was likely caused by raw vegetables that hadn’t been washed properly and were used as a topping for the noodles. 

He said the provincial health department had sent samples of the noodles, vegetables and soup to be tested in Phnom Penh, but the results were yet to be released. Samraong Tong district governor Sim Ratanak said the sick had been treated at local medical centres and many had returned home. 

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39400/scores-poisoned-by-noodles/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 16/06

Some of you may think food hygiene in Thailand is very poor. (Actually it is better than it looks and food hygiene is taught religiously in schools here) But, I am telling you, you ain't see nothing till you go to Cambodia. I swear half the country at any given time is suffering from diarrhoea.

Edited by Briggsy

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Some of you may think food hygiene in Thailand is very poor. (Actually it is better than it looks and food hygiene is taught religiously in schools here) But, I am telling you, you ain't see nothing till you go to Cambodia. I swear half the country at any given time is suffering from diarrhoea.

I lived in Laos for more than a year. I later discovered all the kitchen of coffee shops and restaurants were very dirty. Surprising they allowed me to take a look when I told them I would like to see the cooking done. One small restaurant kept cats in the kitchen and I could see the feces of cats on the floor corners. I never ate there again after what I saw.

I was surprised I didn't die from food poisoning while I was there for more than a year.

13 hours ago, madusa said:

I lived in Laos for more than a year. I later discovered all the kitchen of coffee shops and restaurants were very dirty. Surprising they allowed me to take a look when I told them I would like to see the cooking done. One small restaurant kept cats in the kitchen and I could see the feces of cats on the floor corners. I never ate there again after what I saw.

I was surprised I didn't die from food poisoning while I was there for more than a year.

Yes, Indochina. Similarly bad food hygiene to Cambodia.

It is interesting they allowed you to see the kitchen. This suggests they were habituated to filthy conditions and ignorant or unaware it should be any other way. One would imagine their kitchen has always been like this as has every kitchen they have worked in or seen. If you have no idea you are doing anything wrong, you don't try and hide it. This, in turn, suggests that the message about the direct effects of poor food hygiene have not got through in Laos and there is no enforcement or government intervention. No surprise there.

Result = far higher incidence of food poisoning.

Indeed, the only serious gastro-problem I had in the last 10 years (coming out of both ends for 48 hours) was actually in Laos. In the South.