Down Under bar and bistro closed?

thaibeachlovers

Latest post on farcebook (14/06);

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOWNUNDER"
Hey Everyone
We have been in business since 2012 so on Saturday 1st July from 7pm we are going to celebrate and have a Birthday Party for the Downunder pub complimentary buffet Thai and Western food for our patrons.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:19 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

It's located at the Iron Bridge end of Loi Kroh Rd. Went past it the other night and it was closed up

i had a wander round the night bazzar today to see the cats there and the down under

bar was alive well full of australians and open :)

and almost opposite is the new players music bar in exactly the same place it was

in may 2014

dave2

down under ausie sports bar 17 jun 17 20170617_175703~01.jpg

players music bar loi kroh road 17 jun 17 20170617_175752.jpg

Players was struggling .I dont know about now though .Pity if it goes as it was /is a good live music venue .With the drink driving Police thing i no longer go into town at night myself .

7 hours ago, dave2 said:

i had a wander round the night bazzar today to see the cats there and the down under

bar was alive well full of australians and open :)

and almost opposite is the new players music bar in exactly the same place it was

in may 2014

dave2

down under ausie sports bar 17 jun 17 20170617_175703~01.jpg

players music bar loi kroh road 17 jun 17 20170617_175752.jpg

I wasn't looking at that side of the road, but I don't remember anything open anywhere at that end of the road.

Unless a place has a dedicated clientele they won't be making any money away from the night market road. I was the only person walking around down there, but it's busy on the big road. Past the Hard Rock bar there are few people looking for a place to eat.

Looks to me that someone has been to Pattaya recently- the Hard Rock looked like something easily found on Walking Street.

8 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Players Bar has reopened? Good news but it had been closed down for at least 6months (probably longer) with a for lease sign out the front.

What's with the new theme? Aus/NZ style setup given the new logo?

Players used to be owned by an Aussie .Maybe the new owner is also .

Wouldnt be surprised at all if the Downunder Bar was to fail. They predominantly show Australia in a variety of different sports, and it must be really depressing to go there and mostly see Australian National Teams losing to England !!

Still, Aussies can always fall back on that sport that only Aussies play, the one that nobody outside Australia understands but seems to involve blokes in vests and tight shorts running round mostly in circles !!

Even Scotland who are crap at Rugby and had hardly any Lions selected beat Australia in Australia yesterday !!

Edited by EL159

Yes I think it was  sad day in Aussie Rugby when they got beaten by the Scots..... still you cant be on top all of the time.  There was a day when they were very good at rugby but those days are long past.

Id be surprised if the Downunder pub closes actually.  When Stu owned/ran the place it was always busy on big sports days. And not just Aussies reside there.  Americans, Canadians and kiwis also frequent the place.  Yes its a little off the beaten track but not too far from the mayhem of Chang Klan Road.

Pretty good place for a burger too and a decent cold beer.

3 hours ago, EL159 said:

Wouldnt be surprised at all if the Downunder Bar was to fail. They predominantly show Australia in a variety of different sports, and it must be really depressing to go there and mostly see Australian National Teams losing to England !!

Still, Aussies can always fall back on that sport that only Aussies play, the one that nobody outside Australia understands but seems to involve blokes in vests and tight shorts running round mostly in circles !!

Even Scotland who are crap at Rugby and had hardly any Lions selected beat Australia in Australia yesterday !!

They show ALL the AFL and NRL games live, the only place in Chiang Mai where you can see ALL the games. Although I haven't been for a while it's usually packed solid on a Saturday and Sunday, and usually on a Friday afternoon as well.  Doesn't do much trade during the week but it without out question pays its bills on the weekend, quite often standing room only. 

• 3 weeks later...

The business hours are on the door, they usually close on Wednesday except when there's a big game, then they close the following day instead. 

Its nice to have a six day week for the staff as they work  9-14 hours depending on what's on in the weekend sport department.

Its now licensed as a bistro so no more Buddha day closures. 

The neighbours (Players or Diggers rest) seem to always have the same day off as Downunder.

3 hours ago, piewarmer said:

The business hours are on the door, they usually close on Wednesday except when there's a big game, then they close the following day instead. 

Its nice to have a six day week for the staff as they work  9-14 hours depending on what's on in the weekend sport department.

Its now licensed as a bistro so no more Buddha day closures. 

The neighbours (Players or Diggers rest) seem to always have the same day off as Downunder.

But he still can't sell alcohol on a Buddha day, just like everywhere else. It's the law now, whereas it used to be optional, unless the police 'advised' otherwise. 

• 6 years later...

Reviving an old inquiry - a google search of this establishment shows "temporarily closed" for some time now.

That's often code for "out of business" in Thailand.  Anyone know if this pub is no longer operating?