75% of Thai-Sino rail project’s budget set to hire Thai workers: Transport Ministry

rooster59

4 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Many times  I have  seen  reference to human  rights  abuse accorded  to the  current  administration.

I would really  like  some  definition of  what those  abuses  are?

Definition? I can do one better and give you an example. The junta round up people with the wrong "attitude" and keep them jailed while they undergo "attitude adjustment sessions".

This they do completely without basis in Thai law. Just one example. Here are a few articles from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (of which Thailand is a signatory) which the junta violates:

Article 9.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Article 20.

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
(2) No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

Article 21.

(1) Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.
(2) Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in his country.
(3) The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures.

Did that answer your question?

On 18.6.2017 at 5:59 AM, coulson said:

Due diligence also means extending to the International market.

The Chinese only developed high speed rail this Century. The Japanese and French have been working on it for a little bit longer.

My point is this is not at all about building a sustainable project, it is about pandering to the Chinese.

Stonehenge 2 coming soon to a town near you.

You have forgotten the German ICE and Transrapid  which connects the Shanghai airport  with the city with  a maximum  speed of more than 400 km/h. 

19 hours ago, Becker said:

Definition? I can do one better and give you an example. The junta round up people with the wrong "attitude" and keep them jailed while they undergo "attitude adjustment sessions".

This they do completely without basis in Thai law. Just one example. Here are a few articles from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (of which Thailand is a signatory) which the junta violates:

Article 9.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Article 20.

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
(2) No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

Article 21.

(1) Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.
(2) Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in his country.
(3) The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures.

Did that answer your question?

Did  it answer  my  question?  Not really.

Because  there  are  few  countries  that  do  not have  other  laws  which  also  exclude  the  right  to  dissemination  of  information  with intent  to  mislead  and  disrupt. Which  may  or  may  not include  belonging  to  an  association which  has  the  intent  to  cause  social  harm and  disruption  in  interest  only  of  that  association with  special interest  in the  effect of  that  to disrupt a  Government.

Of  course  there  is  always  the debate  as  to the  administration  of   such law as and  where it is  applied.

In reference  to  Thailand  I  have  not witnessed  any populace  mass  of  objections.

More  often it has  been  by  a minority who  have  been sanctioned by  such  law  and for  the  very  purpose  of  such  law.

While  I have  no option  to  acknowledge  the  fact that  the  current  regime   was  not   democratically   elected  I  also  appreciate  that  it has been attempting  and  gone  a  long  way   in it  to  provide  a  platform   which  will  enable  the  average  Thai  to  eventually  elect a  Government  of   free  choice unencumbered  by  the  many  manipulations of  the  long  past.

That  surely  is  the  greatest   human  right of  all  because  it  encompasses  all the  possibilities  of  any  other  human right.

I doubt  that  any  such eutopic country  actually exists  in purest  form . 

But  name  me  a country that  from  origin possessed such a   democratic  existence..there  is  none!

In fact  on  principle  many  are in the process  of  losing  it !

3 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Did  it answer  my  question?  Not really.

Because  there  are  few  countries  that  do  not have  other  laws  which  also  exclude  the  right  to  dissemination  of  information  with intent  to  mislead  and  disrupt. Which  may  or  may  not include  belonging  to  an  association which  has  the  intent  to  cause  social  harm and  disruption  in  interest  only  of  that  association with  special interest  in the  effect of  that  to disrupt a  Government.

Of  course  there  is  always  the debate  as  to the  administration  of   such law as and  where it is  applied.

In reference  to  Thailand  I  have  not witnessed  any populace  mass  of  objections.

More  often it has  been  by  a minority who  have  been sanctioned by  such  law  and for  the  very  purpose  of  such  law.

While  I have  no option  to  acknowledge  the  fact that  the  current  regime   was  not   democratically   elected  I  also  appreciate  that  it has been attempting  and  gone  a  long  way   in it  to  provide  a  platform   which  will  enable  the  average  Thai  to  eventually  elect a  Government  of   free  choice unencumbered  by  the  many  manipulations of  the  long  past.

That  surely  is  the  greatest   human  right of  all  because  it  encompasses  all the  possibilities  of  any  other  human right.

I doubt  that  any  such eutopic country  actually exists  in purest  form . 

But  name  me  a country that  from  origin possessed such a   democratic  existence..there  is  none!

In fact  on  principle  many  are in the process  of  losing  it !

You should just let this one go, wipe the egg off your face and move on.

Edited by Becker

On 18.06.2017 at 4:33 PM, Becker said:

You mean, like they have the aircraft carrier and will have the subs, the way they have bomb detectors and blimps and.....well, you get the idea (hopefully)?

You see halloween, we're talking about Thailand, where e.g. minor issues like maintenance and upkeep rarely are factored in when making decisions about large public projects, which makes the use of the almighty article 44 to rush things through a particularly bad idea. So for you to claim that this will certainly benefit Thailand more than the rice subsidy ever did is just a teeny bit premature.

Unless you have that aforementioned mojo, of course. But since the junta leader gave himself and his fellow co-conspirators a whopper of an amnesty for all past, present and future "transgressions" they can't be held accountable if this thing goes south, right?

Sorry to interrupt, but south it will definitily go, quite soon, Sir -  at least upto a certain southbound area from Bangkok, let's say for different reasons!!

But do please carry on.

Have a nice day.

Edited by observer90210