Guttering

GarryP

Has anyone had any experience with installing plastic uPvc gutters in Thailand? I have galvanized gutters and even though only 5 years old are already rusting through. Any suggestions would be welcomed as I cannot put it off any longer.   

Our low-cost galvanised gutters are doing well, 5 years and no (visible) rust.

Primary reason I suspect is that they were primed with the correct primer and painted inside and out with quality enamel paint (supplied by me).

@juehoe We are in the market for guttering for the patio roof, going to check out the aluminium stuff at Global, thanks for the heads-up.

I've seen Rane brand aluminum seamless rain gutters installed, larger capacity stainless steel rain gutters and VG Primo UPVC rain gutters installed on three different homes.  The devil in the details with size of the gutters for rain capacity, how large is the downspout hole opening, how many downspout pipes, how far apart is each support bracket. Screens to keep leaves out and birds is a whole thread for a different day. VG has five different styles of made in Thailand UPVC rain gutters. Global House offers some interesting rain gutters including one brand with a slick rubber gasket. Windsor makes some interesting rain gutters, but no matter what brand or style, the bracket spacing for support is crucial. The adequate  number of downspouts are crucial in my personal observation.

Buriram Rain Gutter Down Spout Installation.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to check out pricing now. But I will certainly not use the services of the company which was hired by the housing developer where I live. Most houses seem to have a problem with rusting through and detachment from the the down pipes. Unfortunately, my house guttering is very high and the only way to reach it at the rear of the house is via the roof as my house backs on to another property and it is not possible to set up scaffolding or a ladder.  

I used Windsor  guttering bought from Thai watsadu been up 5  years  now , installed myself zero problems, clean it every couple of years with Cif, hasnt  faded or  yellowed BUT some of the  the brackets have yellowed slightly, not the hanging brackets some of the  joiners for  joining 4  metre lengths not incredibly  yellow but a  different colour to the actual  gutter lengths was about 500 baht for 4  metre length, Global House do a similar product, cant vouch for its durability, dont know why the other poster mentioned upvc  guttering not lasting long, been used for years in the UK

Found this life expectancy of  building products although this wont be "in Thailand"  upvc  gutter 30years

http://etoolglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/BuildingComponentLifeExpectancy.pdf

IMAG1557.jpg

Edited by kannot

9 hours ago, kannot said:

I used Windsor  guttering bought from Thai watsadu been up 5  years  now , installed myself zero problems, clean it every couple of years with Cif, hasnt  faded or  yellowed BUT some of the  the brackets have yellowed slightly, not the hanging brackets some of the  joiners for  joining 4  metre lengths not incredibly  yellow but a  different colour to the actual  gutter lengths was about 500 baht for 4  metre length, Global House do a similar product, cant vouch for its durability, dont know why the other poster mentioned upvc  guttering not lasting long, been used for years in the UK

Found this life expectancy of  building products although this wont be "in Thailand"  upvc  gutter 30years

http://etoolglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/BuildingComponentLifeExpectancy.pdf

I have spoken to the contractor this morning and we will go with upvc gutters. He will buy them from Thai Watsadu.  

The contractor said he could set up a ladder on the roof of the kitchen. Rather him than me. I have already informed him that he will be responsible for any damage to the kitchen roof. 

Thanks to everyone for their input.  

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I have spoken to the contractor this morning and we will go with upvc gutters. He will buy them from Thai Watsadu.  

The contractor said he could set up a ladder on the roof of the kitchen. Rather him than me. I have already informed him that he will be responsible for any damage to the kitchen roof. 

Thanks to everyone for their input.  

There is an instruction manual available with the gutterings  giving the correct spacings for the brackets, cant remember exactly  how far apart but it was about 60cm if I remember correctly, make sure they  dont spread them out farther than that, they also have to be silicone sealed inside and OUTSIDE on the joints, there are  no gaskets which tend to perish even in the UK after about 15  years, make sure they also use FOUR screws in each bracket as Thais  like to economise and use TWO, if you can get them STAINLESS screws would be best, ask them to try a stainless gate shop for the screws PANHEAD shape.

If you cant get them you can order from here if  you speak Thai and they arent expensive http://tpcfast.com/main/company_profile.php

Edited by kannot