Bangkok buses to finally get ticket machines. here’s how they work

webfact

Bangkok buses to finally get ticket machines. here’s how they work

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

Bus-1.jpg

A prototype Mangmoom card reader is displayed Thursday.

BANGKOK — Steely conductors rattling coin collectors and palming torn paper tickets may not be long for Bangkok’s buses.

Two types of ticketing systems will be installed on about 100 metro buses by October, according to the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority, or BMTA. One will sell bus tickets while the other will read the Mangmoom cards which one day will work for all of the capital’s public transportation.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2017/06/19/bangkok-buses-finally-get-ticket-machines-heres-work/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-06-19

100 buses out of the many thousands in Bangkok.   I do not expect to see such a device on the buses anytime soon.  The toll takers will probably remain employed helping people work the new device which will probably be counter-intuitive.

Mangmoom cards already a year behind schedule on BTS/MRT/ARL.  Hard to believe we will see functional terminals on buses anytime soon.

Great ideal to have one card for all public transit.  But the devil is in the details.  I'm not holding my breath, especially when "good" systems like BTS don't have machines that accept paper money nor do they have change machines.  Zillions of people without Rabbit cards lining up for change or to use the machines - are these people really going to get a Mangmoom card???

20 minutes ago, setbkk said:

100 buses out of the many thousands in Bangkok.   I do not expect to see such a device on the buses anytime soon.  The toll takers will probably remain employed helping people work the new device which will probably be counter-intuitive.

Mangmoom cards already a year behind schedule on BTS/MRT/ARL.  Hard to believe we will see functional terminals on buses anytime soon.

Great ideal to have one card for all public transit.  But the devil is in the details.  I'm not holding my breath, especially when "good" systems like BTS don't have machines that accept paper money nor do they have change machines.  Zillions of people without Rabbit cards lining up for change or to use the machines - are these people really going to get a Mangmoom card???

just another example of puzzling behaviour here; why do so many people prefer to queue to but tickets every time they want to use the bts or mrt rather than have a rabbit card and breeze past the queues. in the rush hour and at weekends the queues can be horrendous at some stations. i rarely use the bts or mrt but it's common sense to have a rabbit card.

so will people bother getting a hassle and time saving Mangmoom card?  i'm not holding my breath.

5 hours ago, setbkk said:

On Mo-chit bts station there's a machine which accepts billiets to sell tickets.

I like the ticket ladies gives them a job and they advise you when the bus is approaching each stop. No street food , no ticket ladies all big shopping centres and condo being built, getting more like Singapore ,very sterile, no atmosphere.

And no doubt, in common with every other newly installed piece of simple technology, in every other retail outlet, there will be a conductor present, who has undergone special training in how the machines work, to explain to passengers, one by one, what to do - while the queue grows ever longer.

I see passengers that can barely handle coins for fare. And now they have to deal with a ticket dispensing system? Maybe former collectors will operate the ticket equipment.

Which must be different than the electronic one shown - how are bills and change handled? Backup from the ticket collectors? Going to be long waits at bus stops to get on.

PS: no more senior discount fares? Not shown as a class of ticket on the screen.

14 hours ago, setbkk said:

A common ticketing platform was first promised to be introduced in 2009! So the delay is much more than a year.........

The underlying concept of encouraging people to purchase a Rabbit card/stored value multiple journey card is to ensure that they are incentivised to do so by experiencing long lines and wasting time to purchase a single journey ticket. Show me a transport system anywhere in the world that doesn't operate with this same principal. 

23 hours ago, tonray said:

What will happen to the toll takers ? 

They will be put out to pasture!

After the transition period where conductors will be used to assist pax, according to the BMTA, a combination of retirement, new duties (eg. card topping up kiosks) and upgrades will take care of the conductors. The BMTA is planning to reduce staff as part of reducing its huge debt-  over $2 billion.

25 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

They will be put out to pasture!

After the transition period where conductors will be used to assist pax, according to the BMTA, a combination of retirement, new duties (eg. card topping up kiosks) and upgrades will take care of the conductors. The BMTA is planning to reduce staff as part of reducing its huge debt-  over $2 billion.

A lot of the ticket takers in some cases related to the drivers as the drivers actually own or lease the individual buses. Strange system I think. 

when the rabbit card was coming out it was supposed to be good for the mrt also,  NOT

just another plan not planed well.

this will fall on it's nose and they will try and blame someone!!!!!!!!!  just give it time

who gets the brown bags now?