Tourists Arrivals Up 18.5% In 2006

Jai Dee

Tourists arrivals up 18.5% in 2006

Thailand's tourists arrivals figure was at 13.6 million people this year, up 18.5 per cent from 2005, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

TAT Governor Phornsiri Manoharn said that Thailand's tourism recovered this year from 2005 when the industry was still suffering from the impacts of the December 26, 2004 tsunami.

Hotels operators in Phuket and the other Andaman resorts said they had more rooms reservations for December and January than they had before the tsunami, but expect more than 1 million tourists to visit Thailand in the next two months.

Tourism, which has long been the country's top foreign exchange earner, is expected to generate Bt481 billion in spending in 2006, up 30.9 per cent from 2005 figures.

The TAT has set a target of 14.8 million foreign tourists for 2007, earning the country Bt560 billion in tourism revenue.

Source: The Nation - 29 December 2006

well, Khao san is too small stretch of Road, more like Soi actually, to be a criterium for tourism statistics - don't you think?

also, it has become a lot less cheap budget place to stay as it used to be. perhaps a lot of budget travallers find other places.

another point - nowdays with internet, plentifull forums as TV, etc. many people choose to stay elsewhere than on that noisy and farangs-infested place. there are just soooooo many places in Bangkok nowdays, and many migh be same or even less prices than those on Khao san !

like, one my friend always used to stay there. then he's requested me to find for him something in the central part of the city. and once he's stayed once there (Sukhumvit Soi 8 - right next to Nana BTS station, in the main biz area) he never goes to Khao san anymore!

however with all these restrictions (as recent on alchohol etc.) and crackdowns (bars etc. closed earlier and earlier) - will the number of tourists decrease, or Thailand will realy improve the quality of visitors?

well, Khao san is too small stretch of Road, more like Soi actually, to be a criterium for tourism statistics - don't you think?

also, it has become a lot less cheap budget place to stay as it used to be. perhaps a lot of budget travallers find other places.

another point - nowdays with internet, plentifull forums as TV, etc. many people choose to stay elsewhere than on that noisy and farangs-infested place. there are just soooooo many places in Bangkok nowdays, and many migh be same or even less prices than those on Khao san !

like, one my friend always used to stay there. then he's requested me to find for him something in the central part of the city. and once he's stayed once there (Sukhumvit Soi 8 - right next to Nana BTS station, in the main biz area) he never goes to Khao san anymore!

however with all these restrictions (as recent on alchohol etc.) and crackdowns (bars etc. closed earlier and earlier) - will the number of tourists decrease, or Thailand will realy improve the quality of visitors?

I can understand why your friend would like Nana Soi 8 !!!! and no the number of tourists will not decrease of this I am sure. :o but the quality (you will have to define quality) if by that you mean family then yes Thailand will have adopt a different approch from your friend in the biz end. If you see what I mean. :D