Auto Spa VS Ceramic Pro ?

baywatch82

Looking for a car ceramic coating services in Chiang Mai.

Undecided between two :

Ceramic Pro - 15 services over 5 years time, Platinum Package, including some interior leather treatment - price 43,000 baht.
Auto Spa (Nimmanhemin) - also 15 services over 5 years time, Opti-Coat Pro+ package - price 31,500 baht.

Price difference is quite significant, both companies have very good reviews on their facebook pages.

Anyone have any experiences  / thoughts / recommendations ?

Edited by baywatch82

Just curious, why would you want what amounts to an screamingly expensive nano clear coating? I've always just waxed the car once and while and it looks like new. And if and when I need to touch up paint damage from a rock or such, it's not a problem. 

Unless, of course you have a new Lambo or Bentley, then I guess I could see that. But doing this for a Hilux or Jazz? They don't salt the roads here and conditions are very mild. 

Just wondering why one would want to do this in the first place.  

//edit// add: 

How to apply....

Looking at this "how to" video, I see no reason why you can't do this yourself. 

43,000 baht for this? If you have a clean environment it seems like a kid could do it. 

Edited by Trujillo

7 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Just curious, why would you want what amounts to an screamingly expensive nano clear coating? I've always just waxed the car once and while and it looks like new. And if and when I need to touch up paint damage from a rock or such, it's not a problem. 

Unless, of course you have a new Lambo or Bentley, then I guess I could see that. But doing this for a Hilux or Jazz? They don't salt the roads here and conditions are very mild. 

Just wondering why one would want to do this in the first place.  

//edit// add: 

How to apply....

Looking at this "how to" video, I see no reason why you can't do this yourself. 

43,000 baht for this? If you have a clean environment it seems like a kid could do it. 

If I choose AutoSpa it will cost 31,500 baht.
I assume this ceramic coating chemical costs itself couple of thousand bahts.

On the video process looks very simple, however, they told me they will apply couple of different layers of it, and the whole process will take 3 days.

With 5 years warranty, 15 services included, and my very low manual skills and high laziness level, I am still convinced to do it. Car itself is new, costs over 1mln baht, so it is nice to know that in next 5 years the paint of it will be well cared.

What is wrong with the paint on a new car such that you need to spend almost US$1,000 to put a clear coat on top of it? 

The environmental conditions here are not harsh and I believe that today's paint jobs are quite good and done to last. To me, this ceramic coating idea smacks of a certain kind of scam. Yes, you get something for your money, but it's wildly over-priced and is something you really don't need (unless you are in snow country where they salt the roads, perhaps). 

If you take care of the paint on your new car by proper washing and using a good quality wax, your paint should look as new in five years as it did the day you brought the car home from the dealership. 

What is wrong with the paint on a new car such that you need to spend almost US$1,000 to put a clear coat on top of it? 

They already have a clear coat put on at the factory. So if we need a second one why not a third and a fourth too? Shit we do want to get it right don't we?

7 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Have people never heard of clay bars?

Wash you car with plain car shampoo, use one of these then wax. It's what the professionals do for shows.

For shows ? My goal is to use my car, not just put on show.
Shiny car is a good thing, but protection is more important to me.

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

They already have a clear coat put on at the factory. So if we need a second one why not a third and a fourth too? Shit we do want to get it right don't we?

There is absolutely no doubt these nano coatings are much harder and more durable than factory clear coat - and you only need to get the car wet to see the major difference in their hydrophobic properties.

Then try a clay bar. Pennies against pounds or cents against dollars if you are American.

Water, rain, fluids and dust just run off a car that has been clayed.

The test is to run your hand/fingers over the car first and then again after it has been clayed. The amount of particles that a clay bar picks up is incredible.

An unclayed section (even a freshly washed and waxed car) tested against a clayed section is like running your hand over sandpaper and then satin.

9 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I like to try this claybaring... but I'm here on a retirement visa which I'm pretty sure precludes me from doing it myself...

Does anyone know of a shop that specializes in doing this?

Clay barring is simplicity itself.

As a beginner try a clay mitt. Not a lot of effort needed. You do not need to go to the expense of an orbital buffer, just a bit of elbow grease.

My old Jags come up great and do not need waxing for another 4 to 6 months after claying. it gets all of that grit and dirt off the body and it works on the windows as well.

On 6/24/2017 at 2:20 PM, Flustered said:

Have people never heard of clay bars?

Wash you car with plain car shampoo, use one of these then wax. It's what the professionals do for shows.

Where can I find a good quality clay bar?  I've never used one before. 

A decent tub of carnauba wax I think is just over 1,000 baht. According to one manufacturer, "A single jar can will treat even the largest truck or SUV up to 25 times."

If you wax your car three times a year, that would be over eight years. 

You can wax your own vehicle. I've never paid anyone to wax my car. Of course, I could hire someone to do it; just show them how it's done and turn them loose. It's hardly a specialized skill set.

Edit// So what make and model of car are we talking about here? 

Edited by Trujillo

44 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

You can wax your own vehicle.

No I can not.

Because I am lazy.

I also prefer to pay someone who can do it better than me.

And I live in the condo, not house, so washing and waxing on the condo parking is not a great idea.