Flashlight - What to buy

Old Croc

I need to get a new flashlight to keep bedside for security, and for use when the frequent blackouts occur.

By checking Lazada, I'm a little overwhelmed by available choice and current technology.

They used to be called torches, and you would buy a cheap plastic case, toss in a couple of D batteries to illuminate the small bulb, and get a light source just adequate enough to ensure you wouldn't walk on snakes and dog poop when heading to the outhouse in the middle of the night. They were bright enough to see the redbacks under the seat when you got there. They would last for at least a week or two before  new batteries were required.

Now, apparently, they are made with aircraft grade aluminum, suitable for tactical military use, have zoomable LED light arrays akin to aircraft landing lights, pulse functions designed to blind burglars, and even a built in Taser (legal?). They also put out several million candle power that can melt the tires on the fleeing crook's pickup.  And what the hell is a 18650 battery?

My question is, what's the recommendations for the best buy for a reliable, fully equipped device? (I can do without the taser as I can only envisage bad things happening there!)  These days I like to buy the best at a reasonable price.

[Disclaimer:  Parts of this post were written tongue-in-cheek, I'm not really 105 years old)

buy a LED flashlight the recharges from your house power ,

they are 200-300 baht tops ,

I like the ones that have about 90-120 LEDs  and 12-18 inches long

and you can use them to light up a room if the power goes out ,

I always buy them in BKK Chinatown but you could probably get them at Big C too

What about the LED 'lamps' that come with motion detectors.They will switch on automatically when you get up to go for a pee. Or you can switch to normal operation. Powered by AAA batteries you can still get more than year's worth of usage before needing to replace the batteries.

You can buy in places like Homepro, and I recently saw some selling in the bookshop in Tukcom (Pattata Tai).

7 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

buy a LED flashlight the recharges from your house power ,

they are 200-300 baht tops ,

Yep.  Recently found some rechargeable ones sold at Tesco~Lotus. 

Plastic and very light weight too. So light weight that they keep floating away into other people's bedrooms.

Thanks for the replies, people.

So rechargeable seems to be the way to go?

Lazada has a number of these advertised, perhaps I'll buy the best credentialed one and see how it goes.

I want to get two flashlights, so I'll check out how the first one goes before getting the second.

I have two of those rechargeable lanterns, one in the bedroom  and one in the living area.  They are made so that if they are plugged in, "charging" and turned on, the light does not light.  But if the power goes off they turn on automatically.  I don't keep them plugged in as there is no protection for the battery overcharging but they work great.  As backups and outside use at night I have two of the small "tactical" flashlights with 3.7 volt rechargeable batteries,  They came with a charger and extra batteries, they're small and powerful.

The biggest problem is remembering to check and charge them occasionally and as I grow older my memory  bank is degrading.  But I just went al plugged both of the lanterns in due to this post!  Thanks!

it would be nice if they used a common cell phone battery ,  so you could change it out when the original battery dies off ,

I  have bought these for the last 5 years and the batteries die after 1-2 years , and no way to change them out ,

but the LEDs are bright and for 200 baht a year or 2 is fine for me ( plus I lose them all the time)

7 hours ago, wayned said:

As backups and outside use at night I have two of the small "tactical" flashlights with 3.7 volt rechargeable batteries,  They came with a charger and extra batteries, they're small and powerful.

Can I ask the brand and model of these?

One is a Probe Shinny TG001 that I bought through eBay and the other a Ultrafire XML-T6 that I bought through Lazada.  I bought extra batteries and a with a charger through Lazada.

My favorite flashlight is a Fenix E21 LED. I prefer regular batteries. This one takes two AA alkaline batteries. The batteries last for months. I doubt you want to pay for a Fenix but I didn't want any gimmick crap. On/off and regular with high power by twisting the lense. I had a cheap one that had a strobe, SOS and regular beam. It didn't last long. You do get what you pay for.

I will never buy another rechargeable - totally crap in my experience and not required with LED current draw (a single battery will last for years).   Have half dozen like this type from Ebay at about 70 baht each and they work very well for night side table and anytime you need very strong light.  Have had about 7 months and all still work fine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6000LM-CREE-Q5-AA-14500-3Mode-ZOOM-LED-Super-Bright-Flashlight-MINI-QP-Torch-/292140874997?hash=item4404f3fcf5

6000LM-CREE-Q5-AA-14500-3Mode-ZOOM-LED-Super-Bright-Flashlight-MINI-BF-Torch

Edited by lopburi3

10 hours ago, wayned said:

As backups and outside use at night I have two of the small "tactical" flashlights with 3.7 volt rechargeable batteries,  They came with a charger and extra batteries, they're small and powerful.

What I have too.

Was dirt cheap at Lazada (about 450).

Now even cheaper.

Can also be operated with 3*AAA batteries (simple adapter included).

The product descriptions at Lazada have little English.

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-camping-hiking-flashlights/

Emitter Type:CREE XM-L T6
Brightness: 1000 Lumens

"CREE" is a US company that makes the LED chips.

A quasi monopolist that now manufactures them in China too.

So you find tons and tons of variations based on same chip.

At Home Pro I saw a good combination of emergency light and "flashlight".

It's an emergency light with dry lead battery that goes on when power fails.

But it has also a good handle and can easily be unplugged/taken off and moved around.

Quite expensive, like 2500.

We have a couple of battery powered lanterns (Osram) for blackouts. Work well, but I need the flashlight to find where the wife has hidden them after their previous use. She puts them somewhere different every time.

Some good suggestions coming in, thanks.

Gary, from my research Fenix is the best, but as you say expensive.

A recharageable LED torch worth consideration is the house brand "Luzina" KN-2301LA sold at Thai Watsadu.  I have owned and used this LED torch for over one year in Buriram. It is easy to charge as the cord is attached and built into the flashlight.  I've had issues with some other Luzina brand products, but this Torch is built better than the CAT brand LED torch I had sent from the USA.  It is not comparable to Pelican flashlights, but was no where near the price. 

Luzina KN02310LA includes plug for charging.jpg

Luzina torch bought in Buriram Thaiwatsadu.jpg

Luzina KN-2310LA rechargeable LED torch.jpg

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Possibly because it has no real battery?  :smile: - that is the type I first had and soon failed to hold more than a few minutes of almost no charge.  Will not be buying another.

...but the online specs say it has a 500mAH capacity, will last up to 6 hours between charges, and can be recharged at least 250 times.

I've only stuck this thing to charge 3 times in the 6-months I've had it ...and just to make sure it was topped up. Assumed the thing was using a capacitor as a battery (since it had no weight), but I guess not if it's limited to just 250 or so recharge cycles.

I've had two for years and they still work fine.  I charge them occasionally for about 12 - 15 hours but do not leave them plugged in. They're  a great light source for working in small dark spaces where you need both hands and  it's impossible to hold a flashlight except in your mouth like replacing kitchen and bathroom faucets and you're too lazy to drag out the "drop" light!

The one's that I have do have batteries and if you plug them in and turn them on they do not illuminate unless the power goes off.  I do not leave them plugged in though as I don't think that they have overcharge protection.

The NSBOD red latern NSB-3356 has proven reliable for two years in Buriram. The white NSBOD NSB 3556 has proven un safe and will be returned to Global House. Both white units defective with shorts. The CAT led light at my home in Buriram  is licensed to a company that makes the LED light in China and sells them at Costco.  The Pelican 2010 Recoil LED Submersible flash light is imported to Thailand. Top quality for a C cell battery LED flashlight kept in each vehicle. 

Pelican LED Submersible Flashlight Thailand.jpg

LED lights unsafe medium and excellent quality.jpg

NSBAO 3356 excellent quality LED lamp.jpg

CAT branded under license LED light rear.jpg

Global House NSBAO defective NSB-3556 LED light.jpg

• 3 months later...

If anyone is thinking about purchasing a new torch or flashlight etc, I can highly recommend a company called Thai Light Shop.

They have a website (admittedly all in Thai), showing a huge selection of torches, flashlights, laser pointers, etc etc.

Their prices are very competitive, the Olight flashlight I ordered was over 1,000 baht cheaper than the UK!

Ordered several products yesterday, received confirmation of despatch via both Line and e-mail and the goods arrived via Kerry Express at 12pm today. 

I dealt with the owner, Sirivas via Line and he was extremely helpful

e-mail : [email protected]

Line ID: thailightshop 

Not often I would reccommend a Thai company, but this company was excellent from my initial enquiry right through to delivery.