Bank suggestions?

B0nkers

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

... and exactly who will extract Probate ?  ....... and where ?

If he dies she has accses to funds easy just transfer funds into thai account she can do that. There will be no probate. If his will is soley for her.. I have told my wife if and when i pop my glogs to transfer all monies from joint accounts into hers and i would do the same if she pops first.

But way of topic sorry op

Edited by jeab1980

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

If he dies she has accses to funds easy just transfer funds into thai account she can do that. There will be no probate. If his will is soley for her.. I have told my wife if and when i pop my glogs to transfer all monies from joint accounts into hers and i would do the same if she pops first.

But way of topic sorry op

Nonsense.

If there is a Will, Probate will be required (in either England or Thailand depending where the Will was drawn up)

Only if the balance of the account is below de-minimis limits will a bank release funds with Probate/Letters of Administration. Yes, joint funds pass by succession but..... remind me again how a Thai wife would do that from Thailand ?

Edited by Jip99

Just now, Jip99 said:

Nonsense.

If there is a Will, Probate will be required (in either England or Thailand depending where the Will was drawn up)

Only if the balance of the account is below de-minimis limits will a bank release funds with Probate/Letters of Administration..... remind me again how a Thai wife would do that from Thailand ?

Not going into it on this thread. Suffice to say ive unfortunately been there and you are wrong.

8 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Not going into it on this thread. Suffice to say ive unfortunately been there and you are wrong.

I have been there several times and I am not.

A Thai trying to access joint funds after the death of another account holder would be a nightmare in the UK.

In Thailand less so (but still not always straight forward) , but your advice was to open a Sterling account in the UK. Not a good move, in fact impossible. However, succession is relevant to thread because of the question asked about joint Sterling accounts.

Personally, I don't think any Thai bank will do it (but,  T.I.T.) 

Edited by Jip99

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

I have been there several times and I am not.

A Thai trying to access joint funds after the death of another account holder would me a nightmare in the UK.

In Thailand less so, but your advice was to open a Sterling account in the UK. Not a good move, in fact impossible. However, succession is relevant to thread because of the question asked about joint Sterling accounts.

Personally, I don't think any Thai bank will do it (but,  T.I.T.) 

Well we will have beg to differ then.

Sorry to intrude in op's question but could someone tell me could it be possible for my salary in the UK be paid into my Bangkok account. Much appreciated.sorry what I mean is i do a lot of credit card work.instead of it going in my account in UK can it be directed straight to my Bangkok account, 

Many thanks. 

Edited by Top man
Spelling

32 minutes ago, Top man said:

Sorry to intrude in op's question but could someone tell me could it be possible for my salary in the UK be paid into my Bangkok account. Much appreciated.sorry what I mean is i do a lot of credit card work.instead of it going in my account in UK can it be directed straight to my Bangkok account, 

Many thanks. 

The method outlined in the following link would allow you to initiate a transfer from your UK bank account (into which your salary is direct-deposited) to your Bangkok Bank branch in Thailand:
http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

Take a look in the following section at the link above:

How to receive payments from a UK-based state/private pension provider or company

Edited by skatewash

19 hours ago, NancyL said:

The minimum needed to open a Bangkok Bank account is 500 baht, however if you do not have a non-immigrant B visa AND a work permit, then you will need one of the following:

• ONE of the following documents:
      • A letter of reference from one of the following:
        • Embassy or international organization  
        • An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
        • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

From a practical standpoint, the easiest way to meet this requirement is to either obtain a Certificate Residency from your Embassy/Consulate or local Thai Immigration office (the local Immigration office may not grant this if unless you have a TM30 and visa extension granted by that office) or to bring in a person "acceptable to Bangkok Bank" to vouch for you at the time you open the account.  Contrary to what many people think, that person doesn't have to be Thai.  I've vouched for many people, but my husband and I have large account balances at Bangkok Bank and are actively known within the community.

So what do I have my bank send to Bangkok bank via the Swift system?

Are the banks open on July 7?

Would a teacher friend ( meeting in person of 1 day) be able to sign for me to get an account? I will just be on a tourist visa, 30 days stay.  I think it best to work towards an account for my planned winter stay. 

I am over 50 and am planning for a possible retirement visa using the 800,000.  

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

So what do I have my bank send to Bangkok bank via the Swift system?

Are the banks open on July 7?

Would a teacher friend ( meeting in person of 1 day) be able to sign for me to get an account? I will just be on a tourist visa, 30 days stay.  I think it best to work towards an account for my planned winter stay. 

I am over 50 and am planning for a possible retirement visa using the 800,000.  

According to the Bangkok Bank website, your home bank should send a "letter of reference" via the SWIFT system, although I have no idea if that's possible.  

Yes, banks should be open on July 7.  Be aware that some are open 8.30 - 3 pm and others branches, usually in malls, are open later, like 10.30 - 7 pm.

A teacher, esp. in uniform, could serve as reference if that teacher has an account of substance at the branch bank where you're applying.  It's important to select your home branch wisely because for some transactions, you have to return to your home branch and when you use ATM machines outside your region there is a small charge, even using machines from the same bank.

Kasikorn opened one for me when my wife and I were just on a short visit a few years back. I just had to show them our US marriage certificate and my passport if I recall. I just keep a few baht in it for emergencies and convenience when visiting. Never had any issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The best bank would be a bank not taking a banking fee, that is not making you pay just to give them your money!!...in other words, no annual banking fee just to have an account, with a , monthly or annual statements, and provide basic writing skills to write the immigration letter to justify funds for the visas!!!...

Second, no fee to have an ATM card or a Debit and/or Credit Card...

Third, hassle free reception of funds from abroad without exorbitant banking fees for receiving the funds...

Fourth, english online banking available with easy steps to pay bills or transfer money to other accounts in Thailand...free of charge if possible?

I doubt that such a bank would exist in Thailand?...

Proving me wrong, would be my pleasure....so in the meantime, the big part of the grub remains in the bank here that does all of the above for free !!!...

Pity...if the Thai banks woke up a bit, they would get substantial cash flow  in offering such services without the regular ripoff hidden fees and hassles....