Yamaha Grand Filano...Good... bad?

Kenny202

I can't believe what we got for 51k, 125cc with fuel injection, very economical, a bit of style, fat tyres, comfortable, lots of room for a Farang couple and our luggage, there is nothing that comes close.

51k is 110cc/cramped/pig-ugly money.

We have a 9 year old Fino that runs fine, so reliability should be first class.

Edited by AllanB

I can't believe what we got for 51k, 125cc with fuel injection, very economical, a bit of style, fat tyres, comfortable, lots of room for a Farang couple and our luggage, there is nothing that comes close.

51k is 110cc/cramped/pig-ugly money.

We have a 9 year old Fino that runs fine, so reliability should be first class.

I ended up buying mine yesterday 9mths old 5000k 38000 baht. I'm a bit concerned about the small wheels. Want to ask u a couple things as I only have the manual in Thai.

Does the key alarm do anything. Missus reckons it's just to locate the bike in a parking area.

Does it have a park brake somewhere?

Thanks for Ur help

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I ended up buying mine yesterday 9mths old 5000k 38000 baht. I'm a bit concerned about the small wheels. Want to ask u a couple things as I only have the manual in Thai.

Does the key alarm do anything. Missus reckons it's just to locate the bike in a parking area.

Does it have a park brake somewhere?

Thanks for Ur help

Small wheels not such a problem they are quite fat instead...

Key alarm, never used it yet.

Parking brake on a scooter, never heard of that? What's it for? Hill starts easy since it is auto, park on the flat.....

38k that sounds okay and you have had someone else run it in for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 3:30 AM, AllanB said:

Small wheels not such a problem they are quite fat instead...

Key alarm, never used it yet.

Parking brake on a scooter, never heard of that? What's it for? Hill starts easy since it is auto, park on the flat.....

38k that sounds okay and you have had someone else run it in for you.

Just a question Alan. Bought the bike and like as new condition. I do notice the front shocks are either a bit stiff or bottoming out re you hit a bump or hole seems to hit a bit too hard. Putting pressure on the front handle bars seems to make the front shocks go down fairly easy. Have you noticed this with your bike? Not even sure if they're air, Hydraulic or plain spring shocks. 

No, never bottomed front or back, even after two long trips, mind I watch out for potholes. That said we did hit a couple of medium sized ones, the was a "noise", not sure what but the bike was fine.

I have a dirt bike too and have to be careful when we ride the scooter, different riding style, more caution required on the scoot.

I check tyre pressures every week now, learned my past mistakes in VN.

• 4 months later...

I had one for about 2 days.

whats with the massive halogen headlight and dinky led light?!

power was anemic and the suspension was very squeaky. Also had a problem with the clutch. It had 4,xxxkm.

great underseat storage and they do look pretty good though 

• 1 month later...

Got mine yesterday brand new. I'm delighted, great for an old man and I feel like a kid again. Had my Fino for ten years and it was great, the Filano is a bit smoother and classier ride. Two big questions, though. Can't figure out how to set the time (yet) and that leads to the next, how to find or download an English manual. 

On 09/01/2018 at 4:50 PM, cusanus said:

Got mine yesterday brand new. I'm delighted, great for an old man and I feel like a kid again. Had my Fino for ten years and it was great, the Filano is a bit smoother and classier ride. Two big questions, though. Can't figure out how to set the time (yet) and that leads to the next, how to find or download an English manual. 

Mine was already set, ask the dealer.

1 hour ago, AllanB said:

Mine was already set, ask the dealer.

I tinkered with it for a while and finally got it set. The trick is hitting the button twice at the right time to trick the LCD into showing hours or minutes, then using the same button to advance the time. When the numbers were right, I just switched off the key. You have to get a bit lucky if you don't have it down yet. 

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I'm delighted with mine. I still don't know what the remote button on the key is for and still don't have a manual in English

Doubt you can find a manual in English. I'm not sure about the remote button either, but it should become apparent with a little more experimenting. You can lock the steering which I've done a few times. Only 50 k so far, 50.4 mileage give or take. 

Edited by cusanus

44 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Doubt you can find a manual in English. I'm not sure about the remote button either, but it should become apparent with a little more experimenting. You can lock the steering which I've done a few times. Only 50 k so far, 50.4 mileage give or take. 

Ok, got it figured. The "Intelligent Smart Key" is an Answer Back gimmick. Say you've forgotten exactly where you parked or can't pin down your location in the mass of cycles common in Thailand, or perhaps it's been stolen and you're on the hunt...  If you click the smart button on the key, the lights on the cycle will flash so you know where it is. Got it.