Denied entry at Suvarnabhumi

2 minutes ago, manarak said:

This is Thailand.

Officials have been known to make up rules as needed on the go in order to be able to extract baht.

I would mind a lot less if they just wanted 1000 Baht for some fellow not-knowing he needed to hit an ATM before boarding his flight - as if no such machines existed in Thailand, so one would need "cash on arrival" to fund one's visit (ridiculous, isn't it?).  The OP clearly had the money to afford flying back and forth from the USA, but he couldn't get to an ATM, so they "got him."  No bribe-opportunity was offered (that we know of, anyway), nor with the other similar reports, recently.

16 minutes ago, electric said:

Some posters seem quite knowledgeable, and certain in their opinions, about what info the Immi Officer at Suvarnabhumi actually sees, or doesn't see, on his computer screen.

The suspicion of a new "alert" - it comes from stories like this, which sound a LOT like the 6-visa-exempt alert:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

31 minutes ago, electric said:

Some posters seem quite knowledgeable, and certain in their opinions, about what info the Immi Officer at Suvarnabhumi actually sees, or doesn't see, on his computer screen.

The suspicion of a new "alert" - it comes from stories like this, which sound a LOT like the 6-visa-exempt alert:

Indeed. There is no absolute confirmation, but some suggestion that there may now be a 180 days per 12 month alert appearing which (like the 6 visa exempt alert) is supposed to invite extra scrutiny, but is not grounds for denying entry.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Indeed. There is no absolute confirmation, but some suggestion that there may now be a 180 days per 12 month alert appearing which (like the 6 visa exempt alert) is supposed to invite extra scrutiny, but is not grounds for denying entry.

Both of which would be perfectly reasonable, I must admit... Therefore it would be an obvious tool to have, and easy to implement. Just like the online  90 days report.

10 hours ago, HooHaa said:

i have been flying in and out of Thailand for years and currently do it once monthly, while i usually have a few thousand bucks with me in cash when i travel anywhere i have never been asked to show either funds or outbound ticket.

the rules are obviously selectively  enforced.

Selectively.  Randomly.  Capriciously.  With discretion.  On a whim.  Take your pick.   It's all the same.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, perthperson said:

As have I but it would seem the Thais have gradually tightened the screw in an attempt to prevent the serial abusers of visa exempt entries, tourist visas and Ed visas. ........... Those who now complain are likely those who have abused the Thais hospitality. 

Asking someone to bring 20,00 baht in cash is as anachronistic as having a banking system that has a paper bank book. If Thailand wants to continue with that, that's up to them. But they choose the rules, so anyone who abides by the rules, cannot be classed as 'abusing' the system. Any system that can be 'abused' should be changed and cleared up. 

Edited by athousand
  • Like 1

"Any system that can be 'abused' should be changed and cleared up" 

I am surprised you have not noticed the gradual implementation of change. Have you tried, for example to obtain a double/triple entry tourist visa recently or a multiple entry "O" visa (based on retirement) from a nearby Consulate?  Perhaps you are one who is permitted to make more than two visa exempt entries per year via one of the land borders?  Have you noticed that obtaining an Ed visa locally and securing serial extensions of stay to "study" for extended periods of time at a language school is now very difficult?  There are  other changes and you should be careful what you wish for.

1 hour ago, perthperson said:

"Any system that can be 'abused' should be changed and cleared up" 

I am surprised you have not noticed the gradual implementation of change. Have you tried, for example to obtain a double/triple entry tourist visa recently or a multiple entry "O" visa (based on retirement) from a nearby Consulate?  Perhaps you are one who is permitted to make more than two visa exempt entries per year via one of the land borders?  Have you noticed that obtaining an Ed visa locally and securing serial extensions of stay to "study" for extended periods of time at a language school is now very difficult?  There are  other changes and you should be careful what you wish for.

Yes, it is true new rules have been applied to stop Westerners from spending more time, and foreign-sourced funds, in Thailand.  Who knows how many Thais lost their livelihoods as a result.  I cannot count the number of expats I met in Cambodia who were now living there, due to visa restrictions in Thailand - some were IT guys, some retired - all had the same story.  Most wished they could still live in Thailand, except a couple who actively hated it, due to their bad-experience with immigration - losing motorbikes, etc when the rules changed unexpectedly.

Fortunately for many of us, only at the unfriendly-locations (airports, Poipet), do IOs quote imaginary-rules which do not exist in law or ministerial order.  As well, not all foreign Thai-consulates are applying their own "made up rules" (beyond those published by the MFA) to those applying for Non-O and other visas.  ED visas are still easy to get for those with money, though extra-fees are required in some offices, as officials "make use" of their expanded power to deny extensions; some study many languages to get beyond the 18-month "rule" now being enforced. 

It is a good bet that there are some farang-haters in the hierarchy who wish to see more-restrictive rules become official, and don't care how many Thais will suffer as a result of their crusade.  I do not wish more harm to come to Thais and Farangs due to additional rules, but if a new rule were to be implemented In Effect, the least that should be done is to Publish It First, so people are not caught off-guard, and can plan accordingly.  It should be published widely, such that anyone purchasing air-Tickets to Thailand receives a warning-pamphlet, advising them that longer-stays are now prohibited under "X" conditions, so they can spend their money in Cambodia or Vietnam, instead. 

Edited by JackThompson

JackThompson

Thailand welcomes millions of visitors every year the vast majority of whom respect the condition(s) under which they are allowed entry to the country and who leave at the end of their visit/holiday. 

I doubt that the Thai government is bothered by the loss of a few Baht which might have been spent by those who seek to exploit Thai hospitality. 

JackThompson

Thailand welcomes millions of visitors every year the vast majority of whom respect the condition(s) under which they are allowed entry to the country and who leave at the end of their visit/holiday. 

I doubt that the Thai government is bothered by the loss of a few Baht which might have been spent by those who seek to exploit Thai hospitality.

This isn't about people who don't follow the laws/regulations On The Books and Published.  No one is defending those who overstay, work Thai-jobs, etc. 

Staying longer and spending more money into the Thai economy and following the rules does not match with "exploit Thai hospitality" - they do not match - nothing and no-one is being "exploited."  

My landlord, and all those from whom I buy goods and services certainly do not feel "exploited" - though I suspect they Actively Hate those trying to keep me from continuing to support them with my foreign-source funds.

Edited by JackThompson

JackThompson

Ah well there are plenty of neighbouring countries that will welcome foreign expenditure with open arms:giggle:

16 hours ago, electric said:

Maybe a silly question, but how do you know this stuff ? I've only ever seen the back of his computer where all the cables plug in.

Best would be to ask a seasoned Immigration Officer - something like "Ask me anything" thread. I think they'd be happy to do so for some amount of money. To be quite honest, I'd be willing to even chip in and subscribe to first-hand information on system alerts, latest denials of entry & reasons + things we don't know but that everyone is trying to guess.

I know someone who has been coming and going to and from Thailand (via Suvarnabhumi) on "Visa Exempt" about every three months for the last 6 years (20 + consecutive visa exempt entries). He usually stays only 5-10 days. He says he has never been asked about money and only once was asked the reason for his regular visits. His answer was he lived in a neighbouring country and was just doing a visa run to Thailand to renew his visa for that country. He always has a return plane ticket.

They can see from his history he has a clean record without any overstay or broken any rules. They understand visa runs and can see the evidence in his passport. They know from his record that he is not trying to stay and live and work in Thailand so he does not present a problem. Seems as if you play by the rules, have a clean history and not try to be tricky you get a fair go. 

2 hours ago, midas said:

Ah well there are plenty of neighbouring countries that will welcome foreign expenditure with open arms:giggle:

oh yeah, like for example the philipines where my bank accounts were flagged and i can no longer deposit cash in USD to my USD account because i have only a tourist ACR Card, despite the fact that no law or ruling exists forbidding it.

im still trying to figure out why it was so easy to open the account despite the fact that i am not allowed to use it.

Just o correct one statement, you are not forced to get a 54 page visa when getting a new passport.

At least in Bangkok when I got a new passport the application form clearly gave me two choices.

I could choose the smaller 28 page passport or the 54 page passport.

I chose the larger passport, simply because I normally get many visa stamps, and it seemed a better choice.

The price is the same.

My passport was "lost: in January 2017, so that was when I applied for a replacement.

And yes, I filed a police report on my lost passport with the Thai  police.

10 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Just o correct one statement, you are not forced to get a 54 page visa when getting a new passport.

At least in Bangkok when I got a new passport the application form clearly gave me two choices.

I think you would of gotten a 52 page passport whether you asked for it or not. It the state department's policy to only issue the 52 page passport when applications are done overseas.

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

oh yeah, like for example the philipines where my bank accounts were flagged and i can no longer deposit cash in USD to my USD account because i have only a tourist ACR Card, despite the fact that no law or ruling exists forbidding it.

im still trying to figure out why it was so easy to open the account despite the fact that i am not allowed to use it.

No troubles in Vietnam I am told. Easy come easy go and no visa or work permit difficulties. They now have 12 month, no strings, multiple entry visas for about US$350 with no reporting or proof of money. 5 year Marriage Visas for US$10 with first report at the local office after 6 months and thereafter every 12 months. No home visits by immigration. No bank account problems. I understand it is a completely different hassle free immigration world to Thailand. 

Edited by Cadbury
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It is a good bet that there are some farang-haters in the hierarchy who wish to see more-restrictive rules become official, and don't care how many Thais will suffer as a result of their crusade.  

I tend to think it comes from higher up. Too many Farang witnesses of what is going on is not exactly what's needed...

We may also give some wrong ideas to our wives..

On 6/26/2017 at 1:20 PM, buick said:

not sure if you are suggesting that you can use an ATM to get funds before you hit immigration.  there have been a few threads on this topic.  as far as i can recall, no one has been able to confirm that an ATM exists before immigration.  so you need to have the cash on you when you arrive.  i use suvarnabhumi alot (used to be 10 times a year but down to 6-7 the last couple years).  i've never seen one.  they have currency exchange booths but no ATM.

Nope...just pointing out where they are per the Bumi map.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

No troubles in Vietnam I am told. Easy come easy go and no visa or work permit difficulties. They now have 12 month, no strings, multiple entry visas for about US$350 with no reporting or proof of money. 5 year Marriage Visas for US$10 with first report at the local office after 6 months and thereafter every 12 months. No home visits by immigration. No bank account problems. I understand it is a completely different hassle free immigration world to Thailand. 

" They now have 12 month, no strings, multiple entry visas for about US$350 with no reporting or proof of money ":thumbsup:

that's great news!

it's this a relatively new development because I wasn't aware of this during my visit last February?

Nha Trang as a Beach resort is so less polluted than Pattaya

I tick the 28 page box every time I renew my passport. They give a 52 page book to me every time. Because I am overseas. It seems to be something to "help" those who often asked for extra pages before. But it is actually not a help to me. For example when I leave the country I renewed the passport in they hold me up at the airport for 20 minutes asking "Why did you get a new passport?... you didn't need one.. this one had 'plenty' of pages still left in it".

The rule is since Sept 2015. I used to be able to get a 28 page book abroad.

Edited by Essecola