Using Roku for Television streaming

FredLee

I would like to be able to stream tv shows from the US. I just ordered a Roku Premier+ box to be able to stream the ustvnow shows to my television, but in viewing them on my 21.5 inch computer screen. I am not sure the quality is going to good enough when streamed to a 50 inch tv screen. I have not had any problems with buffering.

My fallback position would to be to try to use something like Sling TV. I already have a vpn that is paid up for a year. It can only be installed on a router flashed with Tomato by Shibby, so I am thinking about ordering an ASUS router and flashing it with the firmware/software from Tomato. I verified on the Tomato website of which download to use for the router I will be using. From what I can find on the web, I would connect the router to the modem/router provided by my ISP.

I would appreciate any feedback as to anything I am overlooking. I have never flashed a router before, so I am a little nervous about that. I am also not sure whether I should upgrade my internet package with my ISP, my average download speed is between 13 Mbps and 15Mbps.

I just checked two websites for reviews of the Roku Premier+: here and here

Both have only good things to say about this particular box.

You won't have any problems at all watching HD (720p) Full HD (1080p) or 4K streaming video on your 50 inch TV screen via HDMI.

Having an Ethernet port is a definite advantage over Wifi for uninterrupted streaming.

You have an excellent download speed so you should have no problems with buffering.

I personally would not go down the flashed router route... you should be able to use some of the apps from the Roku Channel Store, or alternatively Neflix Thailand, or even Kodi to provide all your streaming needs.

Archived